HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Love the look of this. Curious about how/if parking has changed. If there is still parking on 3 levels, looks like that leaves almost no actual office space.
Looks like the parking on levels 2 and 3 would be in the middle (where the window squares are darker) with office space on either side.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:32 PM

Warehouse 1885
Address:104/108 Princess Street, Winnipeg, MB Winnipeg, MB
Location:https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-97.1421145
Developer: Legatum Development
Architect: http://www.5468796.ca/
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=126
Description: Redevelop two existing landmark properties on the corner of Princess/Bannatyne into 39 desirable residential rental units plus 5,500 sq/f of commercial space on the main floor.
The renovation will construct a 3 Storey addition on top of 108 Princess to accommodate more rental units plus access to rooftop patio on 104 Princess.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 11:21 PM
BANNED

windows going in

from https://twitter.com/HolzPrefab

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:29 AM

104/108 Princess Street

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:10 PM

You would think they would have made this a much more accessible building.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Maybe the ramp will be steel through the middle of the stairs...

It is a very clever reuse of the two buildings. It will look great.

There is still another opportunity above the parking behind the buildings.

I think there is more to come on this site even if they have to build over the lot.

Who would have thought these type of solutions would be feasible in Winnipeg 10 years ago...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:22 PM

I love that gaudy gold entrance to 441 Main...or should I say, Malina... as cheesy as it is, I wouldn't mind if a couple of Winnipeg's clubs had a little bit of that American-style glam

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Maybe the ramp will be steel through the middle of the stairs...

It is a very clever reuse of the two buildings. It will look great.

There is still another opportunity above the parking behind the buildings.

I think there is more to come on this site even if they have to build over the lot.

Who would have thought these type of solutions would be feasible in Winnipeg 10 years ago...
546 is really into building on stilts so anything is possible!

There definitely is a different vibe in the area from even 3 years ago. On a Sunday where there was once nobody around you now find young families with kids walking around, millennial walking their dogs, pedestrians carrying coffee around from the local shops, it's starting to feel like a real neighborhood. The Pump-house and the GWM developments will be even more transformative for the area once they are fully occupied.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:56 AM

Warehouse 1885
Address:104/108 Princess Street, Winnipeg, MB Winnipeg, MB
Location:https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-97.1421145
Developer: Legatum Development
Architect: http://www.5468796.ca/
Renderings & Construction pics: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho...&postcount=126
Description: Redevelop two existing landmark properties on the corner of Princess/Bannatyne into 39 desirable residential rental units plus 5,500 sq/f of commercial space on the main floor.
The renovation will construct a 3 Storey addition on top of 108 Princess to accommodate more rental units plus access to rooftop patio on 104 Princess.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Not to sound cynical, but do you think accessibility will make them a single dollar extra? It would cost extra though.

I'm sure accessibility requirements from the city would be met, but a relatively small boutique development like this would hardly need "accessibility" plastered among its advertising like TNS would.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:45 AM

I overall love this development, but my god that black siding is bad. I'm even more scared for how the Pumphouse will turn out seeing this in person now. At least here because of the parkade entrance it's destined to be at worst in a lane forever.

But my god, is 546 getting paid off by a black tin siding producer? Why are they so obsessed? The city needs to do something about this asap.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I overall love this development, but my god that black siding is bad. I'm even more scared for how the Pumphouse will turn out seeing this in person now. At least here because of the parkade entrance it's destined to be at worst in a lane forever.

But my god, is 546 getting paid off by a black tin siding producer? Why are they so obsessed? The city needs to do something about this asap.
I don’t mind it actually I think it looks ok.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Not to sound cynical, but do you think accessibility will make them a single dollar extra? It would cost extra though.

I'm sure accessibility requirements from the city would be met, but a relatively small boutique development like this would hardly need "accessibility" plastered among its advertising like TNS would.

Considering they repaved the front step the cost of pouring the concrete was already there, just form it into a ramp at grade. I understand retrofitting a building could be expensive and too cost prohibitive to undertake but they were already ripping it up and replacing it here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:

Considering they repaved the front step the cost of pouring the concrete was already there, just form it into a ramp at grade. I understand retrofitting a building could be expensive and too cost prohibitive to undertake but they were already ripping it up and replacing it here.
My assumption is, as per labroco, that a ramp might go up parallel in between the stairs.

But if the city only makes you do xyz, well usually that's all you do.

If it isn't that accessible, maybe the existing conditions inside the building are too prohibitive to be accessibility-friendly anyway, so why fake it with a ramp out front?

Just my assumption, as I'd imagine the city makes them put a ramp there, and that they'd oblige. Which may yet happen.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
My assumption is, as per labroco, that a ramp might go up parallel in between the stairs.

But if the city only makes you do xyz, well usually that's all you do.

If it isn't that accessible, maybe the existing conditions inside the building are too prohibitive to be accessibility-friendly anyway, so why fake it with a ramp out front?

Just my assumption, as I'd imagine the city makes them put a ramp there, and that they'd oblige. Which may yet happen.
On second thought there is a concrete step which suggests this may just become a metal patio... Perhaps the handicap access will happen through the archway of the heritage building and ramp up inside..

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:54 AM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...564531462.html

I find these kinds of stories to be so frustrating and discouraging. In another thread I mentioned how people were responding on twitter to the ESPN article and saying that we could change that if we wanted to. What I find so disheartening about this story is that even when Winnipeg does the right thing and uses progressive urban policy to make better places for people the effect is still negative.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:03 AM

I knew increasing parking rates by as much as 250% would have negative consequences for downtown businesses. What a short-sighted cash grab by the city. Something more reasonable, like a .50 cent increase would have been more appropriate the deleterious effects on the Exchange would have been less noticeable.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:10 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...564531462.html

What I find so disheartening about this story is that even when Winnipeg does the right thing and uses progressive urban policy to make better places for people the effect is still negative.
When the results are so horrendously bad maybe it's time to question how brilliant progressive urban policy actually is. But of course, progressives have nothing to learn ... instead, it's all the fault of the lunkheads who just don't understand that they're not supposed to want to be able to park close to where they're going. DO THEY NOT REALIZE THAT THIS IS A CITY? HAVE THEY NOT VISITED COPENHAGEN?

Why not do urban planning that responds to the actual city you're living in (for example, one that's extremely cold for nearly half the year) and to the people who really live there (who are inclined, for whatever reason (and probably a very good reason) to prefer cars to public transit and bikes?)

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:01 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Perhaps the handicap access will happen through the archway of the heritage building and ramp up inside..
I would have thought that that is the obvious answer. It's not the only entrance to the building so the accessible access doesn't need to be at that point.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I would have thought that that is the obvious answer. It's not the only entrance to the building so the accessible access doesn't need to be at that point.
Ya I thought buildings only needed one (or a certain amount per size of the building) handicapped entrances. If there's a more practical place to put it other than the narrow front facade that would make sense to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan