HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:21 PM

At least there's a plan in place, but the only stuff getting funded so far are relatively marginal improvements like whatever they did near 100 @ Roblin, the various access point closures and the like. What was the last new interchange on the south Perimeter, 100 @ Lagimodiere 40 years ago? It's crazy.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:35 PM

Said in the one article that a service road will be built next year from Waverley to Brady and the Brady intersection will be closed.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:37 PM

^ Thank goodness... Brady Road is a death trap. No way there should still be direct access to the Perimeter there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 9:42 PM

Open houses announced for the final design and selected interchanges for the south perimeter study:

Dec. 10 – 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Dakota Community Centre, 1188 Dakota St., Winnipeg;
Dec. 11 – 5 to 8 p.m., South Winnipeg Community Centre, 666 Silverstone Ave., Winnipeg; and
Dec. 12 – 4:30 to 7:30 p.m., Oak Bluff Recreation Club, 101-123 MacDonald Rd., Oak Bluff.

Nothing yet on MI's website indicating what were the final interchange configurations chosen.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/hpd/pth100/public.html

https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/11/01/sou.../#.Xb9JF-hKjIU

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Open houses announced for the final design and selected interchanges for the south perimeter study:

Dec. 10 – 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Dakota Community Centre, 1188 Dakota St., Winnipeg;
Dec. 11 – 5 to 8 p.m., South Winnipeg Community Centre, 666 Silverstone Ave., Winnipeg; and
Dec. 12 – 4:30 to 7:30 p.m., Oak Bluff Recreation Club, 101-123 MacDonald Rd., Oak Bluff.

Nothing yet on MI's website indicating what were the final interchange configurations chosen.

I really hope that those who are deadly opposed to converting Perimeter Highway into a full-fledged freeway get too vocal/loud there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 10:52 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post

It looks like they have eliminated some possibilities - on the St. Mary's Road one there used to be 2 or 3 different configurations for how the road would connect into PR 200 south of the Perimeter, but only one of those is now shown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’m disappointed that Perimeter Highway @ TCH will only get bigger cloverleaves. C’mon MIT: There should be 2 flyover ramps, one from TCH W to 100 W and one from 101 SE to TCH E. Also don’t forget about Deacons Corner. Nobody wanna bypass the city just to encounter that one light outside (like Calgary east and Portage La Prairie west).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:06 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’m disappointed that Perimeter Highway @ TCH will only get bigger cloverleaves. C’mon MIT: There should be 2 flyover ramps, one from TCH W to 100 W and one from 101 SE to TCH E.
That route through Headingley isn't the long term path that will be taken by most traffic.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That route through Headingley isn't the long term path that will be taken by most traffic.
Oops my bad, how can I forget the Perimeter Highway intersects TCH twice... *facepalm*

I meant the interchange near Deacons Corner by the floodway. Yea I was aware PTH 190 is meant to be extended to join TCH at St Xavier as the Headingley Bypass.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Oops my bad, how can I forget the Perimeter Highway intersects TCH twice... *facepalm*

I meant the interchange near Deacons Corner by the floodway. Yea I was aware PTH 190 is meant to be extended to join TCH at St Xavier as the Headingley Bypass.
Sorry, I should have realized.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:37 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Sorry, I should have realized.
But yea any thoughts about those 2 flyover ramps? Excessive, or necessary? At the very least, replacing a cloverleaf interchange with a bigger one simply sounds wrong to the Ontarian ears.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 11:38 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'll personally be pleasantly surprised if all of what is planned goes forward - it would be a major upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 12:04 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
I'll personally be pleasantly surprised if all of what is planned goes forward - it would be a major upgrade.
My only gripe is the fact that at TCH east the plan is essentially just to build a bigger cloverleaf which is totally idiotic. Have at least one high speed loop for people going westbound.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 12:29 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
My only gripe is the fact that at TCH east the plan is essentially just to build a bigger cloverleaf which is totally idiotic. Have at least one high speed loop for people going westbound.
That's pretty much what I was saying. I can't believe MIT still thinks cloverleaves after completing 101 & 59 with one flyover ramp.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 2:45 AM

Quote:
That's pretty much what I was saying. I can't believe MIT still thinks cloverleaves after completing 101 & 59 with one flyover ramp.
After looking at the info linked to above I'm not surprised at all. They seem to really favor diamond interchanges which just screams out "let's do this for as cheap as possible if we do it all."

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 2:48 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
After looking at the info linked to above I'm not surprised at all. They seem to really favor diamond interchanges which just screams out "let's do this for as cheap as possible if we do it all."
I saw them proposing diamond at Portage Avenue and shook my head really hard...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:44 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
I saw them proposing diamond at Portage Avenue and shook my head really hard...
That one seems strange unless you consider the long term plan to have highway traffic use the headingly bypass to be built to the north.

There's really no need for Portage to be free flowing there, especially once that bypass gets built (if ever, fingers crossed)

I don't mind diamonds being the main form, there's really no need for anything beyond that at most locations.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 5:54 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

There’s a mall on the east side of Perimeter Highway on Portage Avenue, and Assiniboine Downs, from what I’ve heard, can get busy. I’m still not convinced that a simple diamond will cut it. Maybe a loop from Portage Avenue W to Perimeter Highway south.

And yea MIT better extend the 190.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 1:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I would much rather have diamonds everywhere than the system we currently have. This is going to cost over a billion dollars so lets just get the freeway standard first and then worry about capacity at certain intersections.

To me there really are only three intersections that require full systems interchange with ramps and flyovers - 1 & 100 E, 59 & 100 and Kenaston & 100. All are high speed highway to highway interchanges. Since we already have grade separations at 100 and 59 interchanges I would obviously leave those to last.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 2:11 PM

I took a look at the revised plan and had these thoughts:

-Why convert the 100/Portage cloverleaf into a diamond? It's already a cloverleaf, so why mess with it?

-100/Wilkes looks comically big in its expanded form... I wonder what justifies having it swallow up that much land? You could fit a small town in its footprint.

-A diamond seems inadequate at McGillivray considering the traffic on 2/3. It's also not great that so many of the configurations involve a separate intersection connection 2 and 3 southwest of the interchange.

-Converting Pembina/100 to a diamond or partial cloverleaf makes sense, unlike with Portage the geometry is so tight and there are traffic lights at either side of it on Pembina that really eliminate any kind of free flow benefits for Pembina.

-A lot of the options for St. Mary's/100 look really wonky and odd, I don't get it.

-As others have pointed out, not including a westbound flyover at Fermor/100 seems like a missed opportunity, but I wonder if the site constraints with the Floodway nearby
have something to do with that?

-Also, Deacon's Corner should probably be part of the plan as well. It wouldn't make sense to redo the Perimeter and leave this busy rural intersection in place a kilometre away.

Anyway, not a bad long term plan. I really hope the next step is to get going on at least one of the sorely needed new interchanges, any of 100 at McGillivray, Kenaston, St. Mary's or St. Anne's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan