HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^Not meaning to dispute but....The Westport Costco is not under construction yet. There is early site and utility prep but not on the Costco site. They are constructing a commercial building next to the Dairy Farmers building. There is some site work beginning on the first parcel immediately SE of the traffic circle. The Costco is going on the NE corner of the traffic circle. The contractor hopes to start before the end of the year but is waiting on Costco.
Could be. I assumed any expansions on the ag campus would be serviced from the existing lines along the east side of the property that service the Tims/Auto park/race track and likely the Red River Ex site. The new utility lines being put in are on the west side of the site and lineup with where the Costco will be built.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 6:27 AM

White Pine Bicycle Company is moving to south Osborne from the Johnson Terminal at The Forks.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 2:30 PM

Goodwill has opened a new store on McPhillips by the Superstore, I think in the former fitness location. Also seems their Regent store no longer exists so perhaps it was a relocation. Either way I’m happy to finally see one in the area!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 3:42 PM

Was reading about Eatly opening in Toronto yesterday. First time I recall seeing that the Weston family (Loblaws/Superstore/Shoppers/Holts) controls 52% of Eatly Canada.

That said it will be a long time, if ever, before Eatly comes to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Was reading about Eatly opening in Toronto yesterday. First time I recall seeing that the Weston family (Loblaws/Superstore/Shoppers/Holts) controls 52% of Eatly Canada.

That said it will be a long time, if ever, before Eatly comes to Winnipeg.
It’s actually Eataly aka Eat Italy. Very cool store but agree it will probably never come to Winnipeg. It’s a higher end store which we typically don’t see here.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:12 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
It’s actually Eataly aka Eat Italy. Very cool store but agree it will probably never come to Winnipeg. It’s a higher end store which we typically don’t see here.
Isn't True North Square going to have a similar high-end food hall soon?

Just checked their locations. Currently they only have stores in the very influential cities (like LA, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Toronto). It's reasonable that Winnipeg is likely not on their bucket list I think.

This CBC article has a list of all upcoming dining & eatery etc. tenants of the food hall:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5216149

Last edited by EspionNoir; Oct 24, 2019 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:41 AM

Eataly is also a play on words. In Italian, the letter "i" always makes the ee sound, like we would pronounce the letter "e". Therefore, an Italian speaker would actually pronounce the English spelling of the country, Italy, (as opposed to Italia) as Etaly. Add an a for English fun effect and you have your play on words.

Eataly is a combination retail store and multiple restaurants with multiple Italian themes. I prefer the Flatiron location in New York which has more restaurants than store, while my wife likes the World Trade Center location with more store than restaurants.

There are only five in the USA so I would not expect one in Winnipeg in the near future.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Isn't True North Square going to have a similar high-end food hall soon?

Just checked their locations. Currently they only have stores in the very influential cities (like LA, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Toronto). It's reasonable that Winnipeg is likely not on their bucket list I think.

This CBC article has a list of all upcoming dining & eatery etc. tenants of the food hall:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5216149
Anything that resembles Eataly in Winnipeg is welcomed. Still waiting for the opening date to be announced for True North's Hargrave St. Market.

I visited the new Eataly Vegas location earlier this year that has the feel of a food hall/market in an old beautiful train station. Thankfully, I was there on our last day otherwise I would've been there every day to trying out as many menu items as I could.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:30 AM

Hargrave Street Market at True North Square will be open mid-late November.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
Is that from that Lydia and her cooking show on PBS Saturday morning?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:16 PM

True North worked with the same consultants that helped develop Eataly – it should turn out to be damn close in quality, with a focus on local owners.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
Weston's plans for Eataly in Canada include a second Toronto location, Vancouver and Montreal. Considering Weston is a 52% owner in it I wouldn't say "never" to a Winnipeg location happening but it is definitely a long shot, especially with our checkered past with Holts (another Weston property).

Never been to any Eataly location. That said I still regret not at least making it inside when we were in Bolgona. We walked right past and I wanted to go in. In theory we had some time on the tour to go back there but we didn't make it. One of these days...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Is that from that Lydia and her cooking show on PBS Saturday morning?
Lidia Bastianich, Joe Bastianich, and (formerly) Mario Batali helped bring the Eataly concept to the USA.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:11 AM

Petland has moved to its new location (a few doors down) at Pembina Crossing.
While its old location has now been painted Save On Foods green.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Petland has moved to its new location (a few doors down) at Pembina Crossing.
While its old location has now been painted Save On Foods green.
Wasn't there a supermarket there at one point a long time ago, when it was still an enclosed mall?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wasn't there a supermarket there at one point a long time ago, when it was still an enclosed mall?
Yes, it was a Dominion. Not too far from Strawberry's, for those old enough to remember that great spot.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:02 PM
What could go wrong?

Monday nights at Strawberry's. Great spot....never understood how it was able to operate as a stand alone bar (without hotel rooms).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:08 PM

^^Pretty sure it was what they called a Cabaret license back then. Don't think they exist now.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:11 PM

Cabaret

Quote:
Monday nights at Strawberry's. Great spot....never understood how it was able to operate as a stand alone bar (without hotel rooms).
Cabaret license , same for Bluejeans...Bogart's, Town n' Country // Studio 44, Benjamin's, Time's etc..

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
See places like The Pyramid, Blue Note (rip) etc. Stand alone revenues have long been able to serve alcohol but they fall under a different permit. Not sure how it works exactly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan