HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

I hope that city hall, behind closed doors if needed, is being given details on why The Forks is asking for the height restriction on the site to be lifted. There also needs to be some context given to the decision makers on why that height restriction was put in place to start with so they can determine if the reasoning still applies or if it should be lifted.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:04 PM

The whole thing is extremely bizarre considering the city is supposed to, yet still hasn't, sold Parcel 4 to The Forks – which was supposed to happen before any developments got started here.

Because these buildings are going at the northern end of Railside by the ballpark, it actually makes sense to me to have a higher max height there, then step it down a bit as you go south toward the Forks Market. It think buildings at Pioneer/Waterfront can be taller there without having a "negative" impact on the plan for the rest of the site. I mean, CMHR is a monster.

---

One thing to remember here is that this isn't really a "Skip" project, they are just going to be a primary tenant in a developer's office building.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:29 PM

The original plan called for buildings taller than this at that location. Everything seems about right to me.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:27 AM

Honestly this has been going on for years now and it still seems like they don’t really have a clue what the hell they are doing. Who were the developers that were selected? How were they chosen? Why are they needing to lift the height restriction now? Did they finally realize that maybe, elaborately and expensively designed, small six story buildings, with three or four condos per floor, with no parking aren’t really that economically viable in a city like Winnipeg? We literally have an opportunity to create a Central Park like space for all winnipeggers downtown. We could take parking lots and create an amazing paradise, but we’re building condos for the rich!! YAY. Other cities would kill to have space downtown like this to turn into green space.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:13 PM

^^ That is basically my concern with Parcel 4 development. We are taking a public space and selling it off to private owners. Once that is done we are going to likely never get it back. It should have a higher purpose than being a gravel surface lot. Things like the Forks stage/gathering space, the skate park and the CMHR all happened because we collectively held on to the public space waiting for the right projects to come along. Giving up an building residential condos is not what we should be doing.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:16 PM

It's not really a good idea to live next to the railway tracks.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
It's not really a good idea to live next to the railway tracks.
People do it throughout the city and have been for 100+ years, why is it only an issue at The Forks?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:32 PM

I really don't think we need more large-scale public space at the Forks. That being said the sidewalks and streets throughout the Railside and Parcel 4 developments should all be excellent public space. Green space is under-utilized in Winnipeg and the green space at the Forks, Stephen Juba Park, Bonnycastle Park and Memorial Park are not bursting at the seams like Trinity Bellwoods Park in Toronto.

I think one of the major appeals of the residential component of Railside is the abundance of under-utilized green space just steps from your apartment/condo.

I think our population density is a ways away before we have to seriously start worrying about a shortage of green space and park space for residents living in mid/high density central neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:38 PM

Strongly disagree with the idea that this space should be kept for public use.

The problem with downtown is not a lack of public space. The problem with downtown is a lack of people after business hours.

Within a stone's throw of this location is the Forks, Stephen Juba Park, Upper Fort Garry Park, Bonnycastle Park and South Point Park.

What's missing is population: The people, especially at night and on weekends, to bring the space, including these parks, to life. Having lots of residential units will do far more for the area than another park, stage, museum or other public amenity.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:47 PM

I'm happy with the rail side development though it's not like there is a lack of other places residential could go up downtown either. It wouldn't have hurt to keep this land for a larger footprint park in the future when residential grows large enough and the public space becomes more sought after.

Though this will be a very popular location and may help spur more development once this is complete. I'm happy enough with this development and just want shovels in the ground already.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:51 PM

IMO The Forks contains a pretty good balance of "green space" (I always hated that term) and buildings.

There is already a decent amount of park land downtown, and there isn't exactly a crush of humanity filling all of them up. This isn't a megacity where we desperately need more parks because the other ones are overflowing.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:23 PM

We don't need anymore parks or greenspace at The Forks or Downtown. If anything, convert some of the vast fields surrounding CMHR and the NE corner of Pioneer and Waterfront into a more functional Park™ instead of just unused grass. There will be lots of parkettes and plaza space in Railside to hang out in.

--

On the Skip buildings, tbh I wouldn't be overly upset if the city said no to tall buildings here if that pushed them to Main Street or surrounding Westbrook. We're not going to be flooded with 15+ storey developments anytime soon that I'd honestly rather see towers on the east side of the tracks than at Railside, than see some 3 storey buildings ending up lining Main.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:18 PM

The building parapet was 89' from what was posted. So 6-8 storey building depending upon floor height. Seems like a good fit for that location IMO.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:48 PM

Didn't someone say it was going to be 6 storeys?

On one hand I see buzzg's point, but on the other hand these buildings aren't much taller than what was initially contemplated for the railside area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:00 PM
What could go wrong?

They are 6 storeys. Glass with visible structural timber.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
They are 6 storeys. Glass with visible structural timber.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Skinner’s restaurant booted from The Forks after 30-year-tenure

A long-running eatery at the Forks Market will be closing for good on Sunday – but it’s not the owner’s choice.

Skinner’s, known as the ‘home of the world famous hot dog’, has been in the market area for decades, but its lease hasn’t been renewed, according to a spokesperson for The Forks.

The restaurant’s owner, Al Thompson, told 680 CJOB he was asked – for the first time – to submit a business plan and apply to lease out the space, but someone else appears to have submitted a different proposal for the spot, which was accepted by The Forks....
https://globalnews.ca/news/6082915/s...0-year-tenure/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I don't like the Skinners hotdogs with the snappy casings personally. I know the story is one sided, but if true its kind of a crappy way to deal with a very long term tenant. I get the forks market is changing it's direction but still.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I don't like the Skinners hotdogs with the snappy casings personally. I know the story is one sided, but if true its kind of a crappy way to deal with a very long term tenant. I get the forks market is changing it's direction but still.
Wouldn't be the first time, if what I've heard is true. Sounds like they have no spine. I dont get why they wouldn't just tell the tenant they're looking to do something different. Terrible way to break news to someone.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:24 PM

The whole skinners story sends a bad message to all existing tenants. Will they end up having the rug pulled from under them too? Not a fan of skinners, but as a loyal tenant who has been supporting the forks since it’s inception, this is a pretty big slap in the face.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan