HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:55 AM

Very funny first line bomberjet. I believe it.

Yes, it is too far between stops from Edmonton (the street) to City Place. They should put the bus stop back at TNS.

And then it's the same on the WB side with 3 blocks between stops from the library to the Hydro building.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
It was awarded on September 17th to the 'not lowest' bidder and the work was to commence within 7 days and they have 15 working days to achieve Substantial Performance. With Damages of $1500/day. So it should be done by Thanksgiving.
There is a lot of the underground utility marking done and the construction yardage marks are done on street from what I saw from my office window yesterday.

I wonder why the lowest bidder did not get the contract. I am sure they have done work for they city before including the plaza for the 1919 streetcar display

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

I wonder why the lowest bidder did not get the contract. I am sure they have done work for they city before including the plaza for the 1919 streetcar display
Maybe there was a quality or time element that made the extra $$ worthwhile? Anyway, it's possibly a good thing, otherwise people here would be complaining that 'this city" does everything on the cheap.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Maybe there was a quality or time element that made the extra $$ worthwhile? Anyway, it's possibly a good thing, otherwise people here would be complaining that 'this city" does everything on the cheap.
Have you seen what the city is replacing all the decorative street lights/signals on Graham with (outside the SHED)?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:28 PM

October 1 (11 months in...):

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:31 PM

I saw them doing the foundation walls last week and it was very strange, they didn't create a form to pour the concrete. Did anyone else see how it was put in without a form?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I saw them doing the foundation walls last week and it was very strange, they didn't create a form to pour the concrete. Did anyone else see how it was put in without a form?
Looks like they were using some form of shotcrete to place the concrete. Never heard of that as an option for a foundation wall... luckily youtube can educate us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRQXwBsRtvc

They basically spray a thick sticky concrete onto the backside of the form and through the rebar. Then they screed it to form a flat surface. I am not sure whether consolidation around the rebar is an issue or not.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:42 PM

Wow, that's pretty slick

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 5:31 PM
Ignore these four words.

What are the benefits of doing it this way? It doesn't look any easier and certainly seems to use more manpower. But then again, it takes manpower as well to build the forms.

Last edited by BigG; Oct 4, 2019 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 1:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

works well in mining for backfilling and coating walls for reinforcement

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
What are the benefits of doing it this way? It doesn't look any easier and certainly seems to use more manpower. But then again, it takes manpower as well to build the forms.
I would say it could potentially be faster as you don't need to close in the forms. I also read somewhere that it also allows you to build closer to the property line as well.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 4:55 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 1:20 PM

They're pouring the concrete for the second tower elevator core this morning. It's nice to see this one getting close to ground level. A construction came would be great for this thing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:42 PM

I talked with a person involved in the project and they say Sutton Place is well behind schedule due to various factors. One being the prime contractor "Top Hotel Builders" is little more than Northlands people trying to do construction. Second being subcontractors dragging there feet with minimal staff. Third being interactions between said parties is lackluster.

Contractors trying to do the bare bones or even below bare bones on this project. From all sides of the table. Which isn't overly abnormal. But is causing issues. Overall it sounded like moral was shit.

In the end it will get done.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:47 PM

330 Main and TNS 3 & 4 sure are facing more than their share of delays... what a pain.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:24 PM

I didn't really think TNS 3&4 were moving that slow. They are close to pouring the first columns, once that's done they will be at grade. TNS 1&2 were a pit for at least a full year.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 1:58 PM
What could go wrong?

I guess having a big contractor like PCL doing the job makes a difference. Bockstael has done a great job on Glasshouse the new building by the Art Gallery and the 3 new towers in Saskatoon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:18 PM

The main TNS site is about double the size of the Sutton Place site. And the main site has 2 underground levels, just 1 at Sutton Place. I'm just relaying the message I got. It seems things have gone bit slow to me. Maybe things will go quicker now that they're getting out of the ground and the contractors are different. Hole digging people vs concrete pouring people.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The main TNS site is about double the size of the Sutton Place site. And the main site has 2 underground levels, just 1 at Sutton Place. I'm just relaying the message I got. It seems things have gone bit slow to me. Maybe things will go quicker now that they're getting out of the ground and the contractors are different. Hole digging people vs concrete pouring people.
I wonder if it's because of all the big projects going on here, there is a big skilled labor shortage in Winnipeg? Big projects in Toronto and Vancouver usually seem to go up really quickly.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:45 PM

A cool Monday morning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan