HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:59 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Most museums have realized that static displays where you simply stare and read information have been supplanted by the Internet. There has to be a reason to go there in person that adds value. This also explains why locals don't go frequently to some places. Unless the experience changes from one visit to the next, what is the point of going frequently?

To me, the most important part of the Manitoba Museum project is the prospect of getting a full-on Science Centre next door. The existing Science Gallery in the basement is fine for what is there, but it is not exactly a major destination. I'm sure the day to day bills for a new Science Centre would be paid by visiting science classes, but think of the possibilities. A family wondering if they should book a trip to Winnipeg would probably have one major reason for wanting to go but would look to see if there are enough other attractions to justify the trip. A well-done Science Centre can be the highlight of any trip with kids from San Francisco to Sudbury.
There's a pretty cool science centre in St Paul which I was at in the spring. It definitely seems more geared towards kids but something along those lines would be pretty great in Winnipeg. Add a section that documents Winnipeg's contribution in science fields to keep the museum aspect going and you're golden. Didn't some Winnipeg-born physicist just get awarded a Nobel Prize?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
There's a pretty cool science centre in St Paul which I was at in the spring. It definitely seems more geared towards kids but something along those lines would be pretty great in Winnipeg. Add a section that documents Winnipeg's contribution in science fields to keep the museum aspect going and you're golden. Didn't some Winnipeg-born physicist just get awarded a Nobel Prize?
Not to mention the Ebola vaccine was developed in Winnipeg at the National Microbiology Laboratory, that should have it's place in the museum somewhere.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm curious as to how far along they are with their capital campaign for that.
From what I've heard, the budget for the gallery refreshes was slashed when Pallister came into power. I imagine this will heavily delay the new science centre, especially with the Concert Hall's capital needs as well. The planned parking in the science center building may help out the bottom line enough that they can make the numbers work earlier.

I'm still pretty excited to see the new Winnipeg gallery though. A bunch of the somewhat generic "old town" stuff in the existing galleries were all intended to be Winnipeg. They were never staffed with interpreters, a la Lower Fort Garry, as planned due to budget restrictions. Along with the new portions of the Winnipeg Gallery, I've heard they are redoing a bunch of the old buildings to be based off of actual historical businesses and such. Should be pretty cool.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:13 AM

Lots of scaffolding up around 200 Portage.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
From what I've heard, the budget for the gallery refreshes was slashed when Pallister came into power.
I believe it was cut in half, from $10 million to $5 million. I agree the updated galleries will be very welcome.The Urban Gallery was, IMO, the one that needed the most work. I remember it used to have costumed interpreters working in the drug store, even selling "olde-style" candy and such. It will be very neat to see what it looks like now.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:10 PM

I think a new science gallery would be fantastic if it is actually going though – would love to see the original plan of turning Rupert into a woonerf come true.

The thing that perplexes me a bit though if the funding is coming, is why the province delayed it a bit only to bring it back. Think of all the major legacy projects that came from the centennial – there is none planned for Manitoba 150. Would have been a good opportunity to use this as a legacy project from the sesquicentennial (lol) and also a good excuse to do something for the "don't spend a dime" crowd.

Long term, think of being able to start at The Forks and walking all the way up /Waterfront/ through Railside, past CMHR, up through Exchange to MB Museum and Science Gallery. Actually will be quite a bit to do and see on the eastern edge of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:14 PM

I would expect the province to come through for the Manitoba Museum. Unlike with the CMHR, there is nothing politically touchy about the museum... it's something that everyone can get behind. And it is a bit of a showpiece for the province, it isn't some obscure niche museum tucked out of the way somewhere. Just about every tourist spending more than 24 hours in Winnipeg probably visits it.

Maybe if Pallister loosens up the purse strings a little now that the budget is balanced (according to the OAG, anyway), could we possibly see a little Manitoba 150 love for the museum from the province?

I have to admit with the Sport for Life Centre filling up a huge void around that area, the thought of a nice new science centre filling up another one along in a highly prominent Main Street location with some streetscaping improvements like the woonerf buzzg mentioned gets me pretty excited. It'll be a great change for that area.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:19 PM

I'd like to see a tall skinny residential tower right at Main there, with the science gallery just east of it. That's what I want. Then another on the Ukrainian Museum lot.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'd like to see a tall skinny residential tower right at Main there, with the science gallery just east of it. That's what I want. Then another on the Ukrainian Museum lot.
Great idea

That's actually turning into a marketable location, something that would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

I would love to see a building go up around the Ukrainian Museum to make that building look a little less forlorn... it kind of stands alone in a way that doesn't really address the streets.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:35 PM

Yeah, and that's probably the only area left in the East Exchange that there would ever be a tower allowed to be built, aside from between 441 and Confederation building.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Lots of scaffolding up around 200 Portage.

Reclad to match the tower?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to include the Aviation Museum on the list or not, but I decided to exclude it given that it's a fair bit smaller than the others.
Keep in mind aviation museums tend to have specialized collections. The Winnipeg one is focused on smaller bush planes and has the largest collection of those. The old space was also not ideal to showing off their collection even though the building itself was the old, old Winnipeg passenger terminal and was somewhat of an exhibit itself. It is why it is somewhat unfortunate that the immediately previous terminal couldn't have it someway been worked into the new aviation museum space.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:58 PM

^ I find it regrettable that the previous location of the museum couldn't have been kept as the museum's home with an expansion instead of replacement. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Reclad to match the tower?
Yes to reclad, no to matching.

I have to say, while it's great there is new larger entrance to Scotiabank near P&M, and another CRU on Portage, it's quite disappointing that the main corner facing the intersection was just rebuilt as cubicles. Also strange that Scotia put up all new signage right before the reclad started.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:50 PM

i like how the render has the barricades down

what do these guys know that we don't

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:52 PM

BMO construction in 201 Portage is well underway

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
i like how the render has the barricades down

what do these guys know that we don't
They also forgot the missing panhandler or two!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
A tall skinny tower at 416 main would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
They also forgot the missing panhandler or two!
There are never any panhandlers on that corner because the barriers keep foot traffic away...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
There are never any panhandlers on that corner because the barriers keep foot traffic away...
The barriers also keep panhandlers away, the photo showed a barrier free P & M and barrier free the panhandlers would move in seconds after!

Off topic but with all the money spent to beautify and re-energize downtown do panhandlers on every street corner not totally detract from what the city and business are trying to do, the mess of the so-called homeless encampment at the foot of the Disraeli and other homeless squalor throughout the downtown is a huge negative for Winnipeg, seriously the impression those visiting Winnipeg must get when the city looks third world!~

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan