HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4341  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:11 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Is there any legitimate reason the city hasn't taken the St Charles away from him yet?
I speak more from an Ontario perspective here but I assume it's the same in Manitoba: if he's paying his taxes, there's almost nothing they can do. They can charge him with neglecting the property but all he has to do is meet the bare minimum (which is pretty low here, so I'd assume it's low in Winnipeg too) and then it's business as usual again.

This isn't like the US where eminent domain can be used to build anything at any time. It's almost as if eminent domain has no equivalent in Canada, it's simply never done or so difficult to follow through on as to not effectively exist.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4342  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:29 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,658
winnipeg has a few bylaws they could use to take it away but are scared to
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4343  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 12:17 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,838
I was reading in the paper that Dauphin Countryfest only attracted 9,000 people per day this year. That is down 2,000 per day from last year and recent years. A few years before that, I seem to recall crowds in the 13,000 - 14,000 range which were considered sellouts.

Any theories out there as to why the festival is pulling in lower numbers in recent years? They are still bringing in legit A-level acts so that can't be it. There is no competing country festival in the province either.

In comparison, Folk Festival pulled in record numbers last year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4344  
Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 12:23 AM
OTA in Winnipeg's Avatar
OTA in Winnipeg OTA in Winnipeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Silver Heights
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I was reading in the paper that Dauphin Countryfest only attracted 9,000 people per day this year. That is down 2,000 per day from last year and recent years. A few years before that, I seem to recall crowds in the 13,000 - 14,000 range which were considered sellouts.

Any theories out there as to why the festival is pulling in lower numbers in recent years? They are still bringing in legit A-level acts so that can't be it. There is no competing country festival in the province either.

In comparison, Folk Festival pulled in record numbers last year.
I've seen zero advertising.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4345  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:20 AM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I've seen zero advertising.
Is that all it comes down to? Advertising? or is there something more at work here?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4346  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:49 AM
LilZebra's Avatar
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Spiritual
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Winnipeg, Man.
Posts: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^Problem is the Facebook peoples eat that stuff up. I don't really frequent Facebook. But it's all full of babies and people complaining. Everything is a huge deal and Winnipeg is soooo stupid and people are terrified to go outside and blah blah blah. Actually quite depressing.

I don't think it matters anymore about Facebook. I think the cat is out of the proverbial bag that Zuckerberg is some sort of robot/android/cyborg. Tonnes of "Zuckerberg not human" videos on YouTube to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...berg+not+human

Video Link



Remember his lineage:
DARPA (Military) > Internet > Web > Facebook > Mark Zuckerberg


I deactivated my FB acct. in May because it was getting to slow in scrollling and as a Trump-loving Conservative there was only so much time before they would cancel my acct. anyways.
__________________
Visit LilZebra.ca

Last edited by LilZebra; Jul 8, 2019 at 2:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4347  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:14 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 40,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I deactivated my FB acct. in May because it was getting to slow in scrollling and as a Trump-loving Conservative there was only so much time before they would cancel my acct. anyways.
It's not that simple. I am involved in a couple anti-racist groups, and people are having their posts "mysteriously disappear" or getting automatic warning messages or account locks for making posts that use the term "white".

This could be trying to target white supremacists but it's catching a lot of anti-racist people discussing the topic as well. Censorship always has a downside to it. On Youtube it's gotten even worse, they might as well completely eliminate any form of financial model to run the place because if you say or do anything on Youtube that makes anyone uncomfortable to any degree for any reason, you're demonetized. People are switching to Patreon but even then, both sides are trying to get opposing sides removed from that platform with boycott and email campaigns.

It's all getting very petty.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4348  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 1:19 PM
dmacc dmacc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I don't think it matters anymore about Facebook. I think the cat is out of the proverbial bag that Zuckerberg is some sort of robot/android/cyborg. Tonnes of "Zuckerberg not human" videos on YouTube to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...berg+not+human

Video Link



Remember his lineage:
DARPA (Military) > Internet > Web > Facebook > Mark Zuckerberg


I deactivated my FB acct. in May because it was getting to slow in scrollling and as a Trump-loving Conservative there was only so much time before they would cancel my acct. anyways.
haha, If zuckerberg is the best the real Skynet can produce then I feel pretty confident in the human races chances. hahaha
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4349  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:12 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I was reading in the paper that Dauphin Countryfest only attracted 9,000 people per day this year. That is down 2,000 per day from last year and recent years. A few years before that, I seem to recall crowds in the 13,000 - 14,000 range which were considered sellouts.

Any theories out there as to why the festival is pulling in lower numbers in recent years? They are still bringing in legit A-level acts so that can't be it. There is no competing country festival in the province either.

In comparison, Folk Festival pulled in record numbers last year.
WE Fest in Detroit Lakes has a few big names this year~
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4350  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:45 PM
EdwardTH EdwardTH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I was reading in the paper that Dauphin Countryfest only attracted 9,000 people per day this year. That is down 2,000 per day from last year and recent years. A few years before that, I seem to recall crowds in the 13,000 - 14,000 range which were considered sellouts.

Any theories out there as to why the festival is pulling in lower numbers in recent years? They are still bringing in legit A-level acts so that can't be it. There is no competing country festival in the province either.

In comparison, Folk Festival pulled in record numbers last year.
I think young people these days are just kinda over the whole "get aggressively drunk and set things on fire" kinda thing. Rowdy clubs are dying off and nightlife is getting more mature and sophisticated. Folk fest is more the vibe people are after these days. They look poised to have another great year.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4351  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:17 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is online now
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
I think young people these days are just kinda over the whole "get aggressively drunk and set things on fire" kinda thing. Rowdy clubs are dying off and nightlife is getting more mature and sophisticated. Folk fest is more the vibe people are after these days. They look poised to have another great year.
Country Thunder is coming up this weekend (just outside Regina). The joke is that every year it becomes the 3rd largest city in the province for the weekend, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.... and it's a bit of a drunk-fest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4352  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:17 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,106
Well oyrur neighbors do seem to always be a bit behind the trends. Not that we're that much better lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4353  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 4:36 PM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan Nathan is online now
Hmm....
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 3,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Well oyrur neighbors do seem to always be a bit behind the trends. Not that we're that much better lol
Except that it pulls people from across the prairies, so our neighbours are completely part of it too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4354  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 8:55 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,351
Extremely random question, but how do you put someone on "ignore"? I can't seem to recall how to do that.
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4355  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:02 PM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pile 'O Bones
Posts: 12,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Extremely random question, but how do you put someone on "ignore"? I can't seem to recall how to do that.
Go to "User CP" in the menu below the breadcrumb and then about 2/3rds of the way down there is "Edit Ignore List".
__________________

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4356  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 9:05 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Go to "User CP" in the menu below the breadcrumb and then about 2/3rds of the way down there is "Edit Ignore List".
Ah, but what is a "breadcrumb"? Haha Thanks though, I appreciate the help
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4357  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:25 PM
pspeid's Avatar
pspeid pspeid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubberMiley View Post

I wish Brad Wall would move to this province, and save us.
Yes, "Brad" would bring an oil boom to Manitoba, then bail out just as international prices tank and head back to his Calgary law firm job.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4358  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:31 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 24,832
^
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4359  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 9:41 PM
blueandgoldguy blueandgoldguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,838
I've read my fair share of criticism of Brad Wall from folks in Saskatchewan and those particular posters leaned right.

I have my doubts Brad Wall would have turned around the province without the oil boom of the previous decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4360  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:07 AM
rrskylar's Avatar
rrskylar rrskylar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: WINNIPEG
Posts: 6,268
Any reason that the litter strewn homeless encampment on city park land between the Disraeli-Henry and Lily is allowed to stay and accumulate more garbage by the day?

Of course eunuch Bowman and the gutless city council will feign ignorance and if this occurred anywhere in the southern half of the city the transient camp would be gone in a day!
__________________
The voice of reason
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.