HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:16 PM
HVAC guru

Good news for those of us trying to get through Jasper park- No stopping zones coming to hwy 16. If anyone doubts the level of stupidity that is the norm for people these days you only need to drive this part of the highway in the summer

Jasper National Park issues no stopping zone due to abundance of wildlife

“Unusually high wildlife activity” has prompted Parks Canada to implement a 12-kilometre no-stopping zone along a portion of Highway 16 in Jasper National Park.

In a news release Thursday, Parks Canada said the no-stopping zone and a temporary area closure has been put in place in order to protect and ensure the safety of animals and people.

The no-stopping zone westbound on Hwy 16 starts just past the Pipeline Ski Trail Pullout, approximately four kilometres from the Jasper townsite. Bear warnings are in effect and restrooms are closed, while vehicles legally required to do a brake check can continue to do so

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...d-da9561a815b3

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I missed it going into Gasoline Alley the first time as well. The signs are there but it's not obvious that you need to exit very early now to get into Gasoline Alley. Yeah the sign says 'next two exits' but I didn't realize the second exit was well past all the services and you have to double back to the north to get anywhere. Actually I did know that exit was like that but did not think they would consider that an exit into Gasoline Alley so I was still expecting one close to where the original was. It will take some time to get used to but not a bid deal.
Had a discussion about this again a few days ago. People are still missing their exits. Even with the big green signs up indicating where to go.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Good news for those of us trying to get through Jasper park- No stopping zones coming to hwy 16. If anyone doubts the level of stupidity that is the norm for people these days you only need to drive this part of the highway in the summer

Jasper National Park issues no stopping zone due to abundance of wildlife

“Unusually high wildlife activity” has prompted Parks Canada to implement a 12-kilometre no-stopping zone along a portion of Highway 16 in Jasper National Park.

In a news release Thursday, Parks Canada said the no-stopping zone and a temporary area closure has been put in place in order to protect and ensure the safety of animals and people.

The no-stopping zone westbound on Hwy 16 starts just past the Pipeline Ski Trail Pullout, approximately four kilometres from the Jasper townsite. Bear warnings are in effect and restrooms are closed, while vehicles legally required to do a brake check can continue to do so

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...d-da9561a815b3
should be no stopping from Pocahontus west to the river crossing. At least where the sheep and elk always hang out. can't remember how many times I have had to slam on the breaks because someone ahead wanted a close up of one of the animals in the ditch.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 8:28 PM

Way past time, no stopping (unless an emergency) should be standard on all major roads, especially multi lane roads.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 3:02 PM

https://cochranenow.com/local/upgrad...derway-working

Noticed this happening a while back but only just looked into the design. The godawful TCH/22 cloverleaf is being upgraded to a parclo.

Cheap and easy, excellent bang for buck.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 8:30 PM

[QUOTE=milomilo;8687629]
Quote:

Noticed this happening a while back but only just looked into the design. The godawful TCH/22 cloverleaf is being upgraded to a parclo.

Hopefully the big interchange project at 1A/22 goes ahead sooner than later. That's been needed for decades.

Last edited by Corndogger; Sep 16, 2019 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:56 AM

Good news all...

It appears the speed reductions are finally done with on QEII at the new Gasoline Alley interchange. NB lanes had their reductions lifted last week sometime and the SB reductions ended this past weekend. It's a beautiful thing to drive!
Are going insane.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
https://cochranenow.com/local/upgrad...derway-working

This is great news for flow through the area. Its unfortunate that there are still 2 weave zones for WB traffic with the Petro/Humpty's exit and the rest-stop directly after. Would be nice if the two of those could be combined somehow.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 4:50 PM

The Gaetz / Highway 2 project facebook page gave their final update on Friday. Just a big thank you to all involved and all who followed the page. I haven't been thru the project site in about two weeks but it appears that it is finished. I'll take a drive thru tonight.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:37 AM

Highway 43x has been open for a couple weeks now. It features a traffic circle at one end and a light at the other. Apparently the light is already slated to be replaced with an interchange within the next year or two.

I have my doubts that the second bypass is going to be good for the city of Grande Prairie. It will likely lead to even more businesses leaving and setting up on the "dirt road side" of the county line. Actually, the county has so much money theyre adding hundreds of km of pavement every year.

On the plus side it has absolutely massive shoulders. They are well over a full lane width.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 4:18 AM

[QUOTE=Corndogger;8687894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

Hopefully the big interchange project at 1A/22 goes ahead sooner than later. That's been needed for decades.
I've always wondered if an interchange is a bit of an over-build for Hwy 1A/22 in Cochrane. It's currently two 2-lane highways that intersect, neither of which are going to be freeways in the future. There's no doubt that the intersection needs to be upgraded, but other than the bridge over the railway, it strikes me as being similar to the John Laurie Blvd/Shaganappi Tr intersection in Calgary. Traffic signals with a minimum of 2-3 through lanes plus possible dual turn lanes, coupled with Hwy 1A being upgraded to a 4 lane arterial through Cochrane, could probably solve a lot of problems. Granted the railway overpass would need to be either twinned or replaced.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 11:27 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

[QUOTE=dmuzika;8708544]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post

I've always wondered if an interchange is a bit of an over-build for Hwy 1A/22 in Cochrane. It's currently two 2-lane highways that intersect, neither of which are going to be freeways in the future. There's no doubt that the intersection needs to be upgraded, but other than the bridge over the railway, it strikes me as being similar to the John Laurie Blvd/Shaganappi Tr intersection in Calgary. Traffic signals with a minimum of 2-3 through lanes plus possible dual turn lanes, coupled with Hwy 1A being upgraded to a 4 lane arterial through Cochrane, could probably solve a lot of problems. Granted the railway overpass would need to be either twinned or replaced.
Ever thought about a 2-lane roundabout? That’ll solve the problem effectively.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:07 PM

[QUOTE=dmuzika;8708544]
Quote:

I don't disagree. I'm not sure we really know what the future road network is going to look like around there is going to look like, spending all this money now on an interchange configured in a specific way may cause it to be rebuilt again in the future. I doubt it will happen, but I'd be happy to see the 1A upgraded to be a viable secondary route to the mountains.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 8:21 PM

[QUOTE=dmuzika;8708544]
Quote:

An interchange is definitely needed and Alberta Transportation has factored in future growth, etc.

https://www.alberta.ca/cochrane-interchange.aspx

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 10:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/calgaryh...rst-nation/amp

Widening AB-1A all the way to Canmore

I find this decision interesting. Is this a move to separate tourist/passenger and commercial traffic (or to provide a viable EDR)? Will this affect the design of the 22/1A interchange?

Edit: Never mind the latter looks good - https://www.cochranetoday.ca/local-n...chrane-1770440

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Nov 12, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:46 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Damn you're on top of things Dengler. I came here to post that news about widening 1A between Cochrane & Canmore and here you've already done it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Damn you're on top of things Dengler. I came here to post that news about widening 1A between Cochrane & Canmore and here you've already done it.
The most interesting thing about this to me is that they worked out a land deal with the Stoney Nakoda. These deals are not impossible to make so hopefully the feds and B.C. take note and start making deals to ensure TMX gets built along with other pipelines.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:43 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Here in Ontario, the 2 higher levels of government can hopefully take notes and get land to twin TCH...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:01 PM

I noticed with the 1A story, they're saying widening and not twinning. Is this just making the road a more modern 2 lane roadway, or actually upgrading the whole thing to 4 lanes? I can't really tell, but the price tag suggests they're just making a better 2 lane road.

I admittedly never drive 1A so I don't know how busy it gets between Canmore and Cochrane.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is a huge chunk of 1A missing shoulders? If yes, doubling its width may just mean adding those in. If not, 4 lanes are possible.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia