HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 1:18 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I think that this project included other improvements to the tower itself, not just the base
I know part of that $500 million goes for entirely new elevator equipment along with upgrades to safety/fire infrastructure, and something tells me these alone are probably damn near $50 million!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I think that this project included other improvements to the tower itself, not just the base
I used to work in the building as construction was getting started. There is much more to this project than the addition, as others have noted. There are at least 3 lower levels being remodeled and there was a rumor going around that a major grocery chain was leasing at least part of the lower levels, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

I also thought they were redoing the lobbies so when you entered on Wacker, you walked up to the main desk and not down. I'm not sure if that's started or even still in the works, but I believe something big like that was planned.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I know part of that $500 million goes for entirely new elevator equipment along with upgrades to safety/fire infrastructure, and something tells me these alone are probably damn near $50 million!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yep, tons of rehab and overhauling of older stuff within. They really want to compete with the incoming generation of office towers

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:16 PM
Closed account

Common partnering with developers to revitalize South Works site

Quote:
The proposal describes a massive film production complex with 15 to 20 sound stages on one end of the site. Another area would be designated for live music along with a theater, climbing wall, and skate park. There could also be a Greg Norman-affiliated golf practice facility and social club, reported the newspaper. It’s unclear what the project will cost to build, but its backers expect to pay $71 million to acquire the 415-acre site.
I would rather see the Park District buy this land if it only costs $71 million. I guess there are remediation costs on top of that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Yep, tons of rehab and overhauling of older stuff within. They really want to compete with the incoming generation of office towers
And I'm pretty sure a big chunk of that budget went towards the mid-tier fitness center, lounge, and cafés, and bars that opened back in 2017.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
Common partnering with developers to revitalize South Works site

I would rather see the Park District buy this land if it only costs $71 million. I guess there are remediation costs on top of that.
agreed, this could be such an incredible park if done right

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Yeah, the expensive part of buildings is not the structure, it's the mechanicals. The mechanicals in Sears were like 40+ years old, time for an upgrade...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:40 PM

Film studios sound exciting, but they are just large blank industrial looking buildings with no windows. A film studio doesn't need to be on the lake front. The lake front should be for residential, parkland or some other more active use. They could buy up tons of vacant land or abandoned industrial buildings anywhere on the south or west side for a film studio. It would probably help revitalize another neighborhood more than putting it in the south works site.

If he wants to build some music venue or entertainment stuff that's fine at south works.

It's funny George Lucas wanted his lake front museum so bad, he should have put it at south works. No one would have complained then.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:57 PM

Looks like the Wells St boom is gonna continue

10 acres of prime downtown land for sale
Quote:
A stretch of 10 acres is up for grabs downtown, setting up the potential for one or more developers to redraw a big swath of the Near North Side.

In a rare offering of urban land that could be redeveloped with more than 5 million square feet of buildings, Moody Bible Institute is looking to unload a large portion of its downtown campus.

The evangelical Christian school, whose property spans a series of blocks between LaSalle Street and the CTA tracks north of Chicago Avenue, has hired investment sales firm HFF to sell a handful of "non-core" large properties it owns next to its main campus to help fund the school's new strategic growth plan.

Pricing is unclear for the parcels, west of LaSalle along Wells and Franklin streets. But HFF, which recently merged with Chicago-based real estate services giant Jones Lang LaSalle, is framing the property in a marketing flyer as an opportunity to transform underutilized property as the city's central core adds population, jobs and wealth.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...town-land-sale

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:11 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Film studios sound exciting, but they are just large blank industrial looking buildings with no windows. A film studio doesn't need to be on the lake front. The lake front should be for residential, parkland or some other more active use. They could buy up tons of vacant land or abandoned industrial buildings anywhere on the south or west side for a film studio. It would probably help revitalize another neighborhood more than putting it in the south works site.

If he wants to build some music venue or entertainment stuff that's fine at south works.

It's funny George Lucas wanted his lake front museum so bad, he should have put it at south works. No one would have complained then.
I have similar concerns as you but without knowing just the environmental degradation that has scared off at least two other parties perhaps it will be a hard, if not impossible sell, to clean up the site and build loads of residential on the site?

And while a huge park would be great I don't see it spurring too much economic activity or tax coffers in the future.

A glorified office/industrial park that this sounds like it would be doesn't sound very appealing either. Hard to know what to do with this site at this point.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Looks like the Wells St boom is gonna continue

10 acres of prime downtown land for sale

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...town-land-sale
This is so exciting- not only for the future development, but to get this land back on the property tax rolls!

It's a real hole in the urban fabric between Gold Coast, River North, Old Town, and former Cabrini.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
This is so exciting- not only for the future development, but to get this land back on the property tax rolls!

It's a real hole in the urban fabric between Gold Coast, River North, Old Town, and former Cabrini.
Agreed. The Gold Coast is vibrant and unique and the Chicago red line stop is steps away from these 10 acres and you walk by it and are like, "Is... is this a water treatment facility?" When this develops, it will also put some positive development pressure on the former public housing sites to the north and west.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:29 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
And while a huge park would be great I don't see it spurring too much economic activity or tax coffers in the future.
And it doesn't have to. Nothing has in the 27 years since the plant closed. Make it a 400-acre adventure park with a newly planted forest. Connect it to Big Marsh, add biking and hiking trails. Make it a summer jobs program and get financial support from places like CRED.

Pros: Trees are the best weapon against climate change. It helps clean the air in a particularly industrial part of town. It keeps the lakefront "free and clear" of development. When grown it can provide wilderness for people to explore (fish, hike, snow-mobile, off-road, cc ski, etc.), something our city (and especially this part of the city) could use more of.

Cons: Doesn't generate hard financial returns. Government costs to remediate and re-build.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:05 PM

so walter payton high school is playing soccer on moody property? Didn't know that

and that easternmost parking lot should develop in ten seconds

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:06 PM

people who think modern parks arent capable of spurring economic development are conveniently forgetting Millennium/606/The High Line etc.

the thing is, by virtue of leaving the land alone, the passage of time has transformed it into the kind of contemplative reclaimed prairie that would suit this site well

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jul 30, 2019 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:51 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
people who think modern parks arent capable of spurring economic development are conveniently forgetting Millennium/606/The High Line etc.

the thing is, by virtue of leaving the land alone, the passage of time has transformed it into the kind of contemplative reclaimed prairie that would suit this site well
Utterly different kind of potential parks and programming obviously. This would be more forest preserve/athletic compound I would imagine.

Which would be perfectly good and fine but it is not likely to bring an influx of activity and new residents scrambling to live near it in an area that is already not in high demand. Which again is fine, not every new space needs to have the goal of spurring maximum economic activity and hopefully whoever lives in the area in future generations will appreciate a real sizable lakeside forest preserve/park if that is the direction that Southworks eventually takes.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:05 PM
The City

https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/7/30...dalbert-church

Quote:
Can zoning changes save Avondale’s Milwaukee Avenue and Pilsen’s St. Adalbert church?

Two aldermen will use “downzoning” as a preservation tool in Avondale and Pilsen

By Jay Koziarz Jul 30, 2019T

Despite Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s calls to curtail aldermanic power when it comes to unilateral zoning changes, a pair of aldermen have introduced ordinances to preserve businesses along Avondale’s gentrifying Milwaukee Avenue and Pilsen’s threatened St. Adalbert Parish.

If approved, the downzoning measures would limit new buildings to just three stories by moving the zoning down to a lower classification.

In Chicago’s 35th Ward, Alderman Carlos Ramirez-Rosa recently revised and narrowed the scope of his 2017 proposal to “blanket downzone” 99 parcels on Milwaukee Avenue between Kedzie and Central Park. The plan now focuses on just 14 specific properties.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Utterly different kind of potential parks and programming obviously. This would be more forest preserve/athletic compound I would imagine.

Which would be perfectly good and fine but it is not likely to bring an influx of activity and new residents scrambling to live near it in an area that is already not in high demand. Which again is fine, not every new space needs to have the goal of spurring maximum economic activity and hopefully whoever lives in the area in future generations will appreciate a real sizable lakeside forest preserve/park if that is the direction that Southworks eventually takes.
sure, i agree with all that. i far prefer spaces like Palmisano Park which respect native prairie ecosystems while still nodding to former industrial uses. i think southworks would have the potential to be something like that on steroids.

less is more

Chicago has far too few places to truly escape. there are plenty of other vacant lots that could suit film studios. hell, even on the other side of the street. no need for this type of use to go on the waters edge and further restrict access for decades more.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
sure, i agree with all that. i far prefer spaces like Palmisano Park which respect native prairie ecosystems while still nodding to former industrial uses. i think southworks would have the potential to be something like that on steroids.

less is more
Well thank you ! An uncle is coming to visit next month and specifically asked to see some Prairie. He is in his late 80s so long hikes are not in the cards. Had never heard of this will be checking it out.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 10:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Can zoning changes save Avondale’s Milwaukee Avenue and Pilsen’s St. Adalbert church?
Obviously no. Sigcho thinks he can force the Archdiocese to keep St Adalbert open by taking away the resale value of the land. It's utterly, utterly boneheaded, he's in denial. There's no viable path to keep the church open. If he wanted to preserve the building, there are much better tools available - he could simply push to repeal the ban on landmarking churches, or at least to make an exception, and extend historic protection to the building.

The problem is, the Archdiocese can't afford to keep the lights on for a tiny handful of people who actually bother to show up for services on Sunday, many of whom don't even live in Sigcho's ward. And if they can't afford the basic operation of the church, they certainly can't afford a supremely costly historic restoration project for a dying congregation. Heck, they're selling the family jewels (like the Holy Name parking lot) to pay for almost a billion dollars in sexual-abuse settlements.

Mark my words, this is going to result in the destruction of that beautiful church, not by a developer's wrecking ball but by sheer neglect, and it will be entirely Sigcho's fault.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development