HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

"near high rise densities, at wood-frame prices"

I've got one of these going up on my street... an affordable housing 7-story campaign contribution special.
As someone who has traveled to Sunbelt cities on more than a few occasions lately... holy crap am I happy that we have like 1/10th of those cheap-o developments going up compared to the Atlanta's, Dallas's, Austin's, and Houston's of the world!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
As someone who has traveled to Sunbelt cities on more than a few occasions lately... holy crap am I happy that we have like 1/10th of those cheap-o developments going up compared to the Atlanta's, Dallas's, Austin's, and Houston's of the world!
Tell me about it. I grew up in Dallas and there are plenty of neighborhoods that are significantly made up of these structures. Granted it's not impossible to make decent urban structures with these things, here are just a couple of examples I can think of from the neighborhood I grew up in. Unfortunately however, 99% of the time this is what’s typically produced.

Last edited by AlpacaObsessor; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:48 AM

Millie

Feb 6

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
Tell me about it. I grew up in Dallas and there are plenty of neighborhoods that are significantly made up of these structures. Granted it's not impossible to make decent urban structures with these things, here are just a couple of examples I can think of from the neighborhood I grew up in. Unfortunately however, 99% of the time this is what’s typically produced.
Is that last photo from Plano near Dallas? I remember being in that area for a few days in 2016 or 2017 and everything looked like that. The transit system was a nice touch though. Went right up to where the Mavs play.

Also, Millie turned out way bigger than I expected

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 3:14 AM

Twelve01 W Lake

Feb 6

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 5:52 AM

Quote:
I’m so happy that Chicago’s strict building code outlaws those crappy light frame wood yuppie boxes. They *can* have some design character added to them, but overall they make for bland streetscape, though I do appreciate the proliferation of them urbanizing traditionally post-war suburban areas. Even the mundane neighborhood infill here looks better than 90% of the low-mid rise Type V over Type II construction of the sunbelt and college towns.

Also, the gas station at 1750 N Western (next to the 606) is about to be demolished. They removal of a gas station for dense mixed-use urbanity is worthy of three dancing bananas

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:01 PM

^ I spend a lot of time in Denver which is a city with the opposite problem of Chicago. By that I mean it's a city built to be a small frontier Outpost that's busting at the seams to accommodate 2+ million and counting while Chicago is a city built to be the largest population center on earth that's now over a million residents from it's peak. The results arent pretty and involve an awful lot of disgusting buildings like that often just plopped down in neighborhoods full of historic single family homes or single story duplexes. They are everywhere there and some seem to be like two square blocks in area, like a miniature merchandise mart made of wood used to store people instead of housewares.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 2:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yes, it is different. O'Donnell and Riverside control the site north of Chicago Ave which is a separate development. Seems like Riverside's attention is focused more on BofA Tower these days.

BofA and BMO towers - given that we’re only a few months away from beginning of demo/site prep over at BMO....that’s A LOT on their plate (not to mention Union Station redevelopment itself)

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:03 PM

Meh...Those 5 over 1 stick frame apartments remind me of how the the burbs build those "lifestyle centers"or pseudo downtowns. Much like these new town centers can be an approvement over the box in a lot type experience, these new apartments can be seen as an improvement over some existing types of housing in the proper area. Look what they have to work with, I guess.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster slayer View Post
Meh...Those 5 over 1 stick frame apartments remind me of how the the burbs build those "lifestyle centers"or pseudo downtowns. Much like these new town centers can be an approvement over the box in a lot type experience, these new apartments can be seen as an improvement over some existing types of housing in the proper area. Look what they have to work with, I guess.
Yeah but the problem is a lot of places have decent historic environments to work with and you will be walking along a nice one to three story historic pedestrian street and BAM six stories by two blocks wide of hot garbage. Like this is by my sisters house in Denver, you go from beautiful old Pearl Street:

https://goo.gl/maps/TeJr6cHAR9m

To:

https://goo.gl/maps/kc8vGZqdPDU2

That second streetview isn't even the half of it, they've since filled in all the vacant lots in that area with gargantuan (like 500+ units in some cases) buildings. None of it is really urban with stupid first floor apartments that have tiny little patios lining major commercial streets. I mean who wants a 4x8' patio directly fronting a six lane commercial artery? Why isn't there retail there instead given the fact that they are adding like 2000 apartments in this location? So instead Pearl Street and other older commercial streets in the area are going to get mugged by jimmy johns and planet fitnesses because the giant new buildings that are a perfect opportunity to provide huge modern spaces for those types of inevitable users instead have highly undesirable ground floor units.

It just defies logic, I have to give Chicago credit that, despite our podium problems and ongoing preservation issues, we tend to build largely in the mold of what we already have. Sure a nice historic two flat might bite the dust, but it's replaced by a six flat that more or less imitates the same configurations we were building 100 years ago. We have had issues, for example, with ground floor parking or lack of retail on Belmont East of the highway, but I'm over here in Avondale trying to organize armed resistance to developers trying to turn our stretch of Belmont into a "quiet residential side street". We've actually been very successful at forcing retail into the ground floor of almost all new developments. Some recent examples like the Honey Baked Ham site tried to do all ground floor residential, but we forced them to incorporate 50% retail, same goes for the corner of St Louis and Belmont, they tried to do all ground floor residential and we made them do retail, but gave them B2 zoning so they could at least temporarily rent the storefront out as live-work so it wouldn't sit vacant waiting for a tenant. Unfortunately I think newer cities like Denver lack the inspiration to stage such planning minded pushback. There's not the institutional memory of how a good urban street should look because so many residents are transplants and there are so few existing examples of truly pedestrian oriented urban streets to inspire the new residents as streets like Clark and Milwaukee inspired me upon moving here.

I mean just look at how miserable Mississippi St in Denver in my second link is turning out. It could EASILY be a brand new urban pedestrian street, but instead you have a gross auto sewer for all eternity.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
I’m so happy that Chicago’s strict building code outlaws those crappy light frame wood yuppie boxes. They *can* have some design character added to them, but overall they make for bland streetscape, though I do appreciate the proliferation of them urbanizing traditionally post-war suburban areas. Even the mundane neighborhood infill here looks better than 90% of the low-mid rise Type V over Type II construction of the sunbelt and college towns.
One is being built on my street now, so I don't think they are outlawed.

Steel Frame first floor, cinder block elevator core, and balloon wood frame up to 7 stories...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:44 PM
The City

Quote:

Also, the gas station at 1750 N Western (next to the 606) is about to be demolished. They removal of a gas station for dense mixed-use urbanity is worthy of three dancing bananas
^ A reminder of what's being built here:

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/1750-n-western-avenue

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 4:48 PM

cool. looks european

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
One is being built on my street now, so I don't think they are outlawed.

Steel Frame first floor, cinder block elevator core, and balloon wood frame up to 7 stories...
What project is this? Perhaps they got a waiver from the Department of Buildings. I am curious as to how the low-rise portion of the Grand-Milwaukee project got approval for stick frame construction.

The UIC South Campus buildings at Halsted/Maxwell are also built as Type V/II because as a state university, they were able to impliment IBC instead of the stricter Chicago building code. I can confirm these buildings are absolute junk, as I’ve been inside on multiple occasssions. The third floor would shake as CTA buses passed by, you could hear people in the halls and in adjacent dorms, and a huge crack in the stairwell drywall as the building had settling issues. The settling was so bad that it also damaged a sprinkler pipe and an entire building was unoccupied above the first floor for more than a semester because of mold remediation, the other major drawback to stick building.

Anytime I stay in insterstate hotels in random towns and cities, I am reminded the UIC buildings were not an isolated case. Regardless of the brand, it’s the same thing, noise and vibrations transmit through those structures. Combined with the increased risk of catastrophic fire damage, I don’t know why anyone would buy a condo in one of these. I sure wouldn’t.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
What project is this? Perhaps they got a waiver from the Department of Buildings. I am curious as to how the low-rise portion of the Grand-Milwaukee project got approval for stick frame construction.

The UIC South Campus buildings at Halsted/Maxwell are also built as Type V/II because as a state university, they were able to impliment IBC instead of the stricter Chicago building code. I can confirm these buildings are absolute junk, as I’ve been inside on multiple occasssions. The third floor would shake as CTA buses passed by, you could hear people in the halls and in adjacent dorms, and a huge crack in the stairwell drywall as the building had settling issues. The settling was so bad that it also damaged a sprinkler pipe and an entire building was unoccupied above the first floor for more than a semester because of mold remediation, the other major drawback to stick building.

Anytime I stay in insterstate hotels in random towns and cities, I am reminded the UIC buildings were not an isolated case. Regardless of the brand, it’s the same thing, noise and vibrations transmit through those structures. Combined with the increased risk of catastrophic fire damage, I don’t know why anyone would buy a condo in one of these. I sure wouldn’t.
2031 N Milwaukee Ave is the project I am referencing. I heard the developer talking about the balloon frame aspect at one of those community meetings... but we should see here shortly if that comes to be on the construction site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:47 AM

Gems ii

Feb 11

Feb 12

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Is that last photo from Plano near Dallas? I remember being in that area for a few days in 2016 or 2017 and everything looked like that. The transit system was a nice touch though. Went right up to where the Mavs play.
The last photo is from Las Colinas (Mid-Cities Region) which is about 15 miles from Dowtown Dallas. Plano is a little farther out at ~25 miles. About the rail situation though, DART's board of directors was recently shaken up by Dallas in response to some of its board members who voted to fund a new suburban rail line, which put possible funding for a proposed downtown subway project at risk. DMN - Dallas City Council overhauls DART board amid tensions over downtown, suburban projects. Interesting to see how things shake out.

However, getting back to talking about Chicago, has anybody posted about Jeffery Plaza in South Shore yet?

Chicago Tribune - Last Vacant Dominick's Site In chicago Finds a Tenant.

Not a huge development or anything but it's nice to see some new business come into the neighborhood (granted it took some tax incentives to get the deal through). As an intern with the company taking over the management contract, I know that they definitely have some plans to spruce the place up (repaving the crumbling parking lot, replacing the awnings and such). If the Obama Center ever gets around to starting construction I have no doubt the neighborhood could really turn around.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 1:54 AM

LSD Bike Flyover

Feb 12

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:12 AM

Tribune Tower Rehab

Jan 29

Feb 12

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 2:46 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Michigan and Garfield, from the bus (sorry for the crappy picture).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development