HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Wait.

What the heck happened to Club Rio?!

That view from that corner has changed just a little bit.

Geez Louise!!!
Pretty sure Club Rio has been gone for 20 years lol

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:22 AM

Club Rio has been gone for a while. I remember when I was a kid my older brothers would always go there on the weekends to get drunk off their asses and get into all kinds of trouble. Alot of memories there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:50 AM
self-important urbanista

I remember going to Club Rio in the early '90s. I don't think it lasted long beyond that era.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Wait.

Geez Louise!!!
Good thing Dooley's is still around.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:50 PM

Phoenix to land some Amazon jobs originally planned for New York

What a waste of time and money this whole Amazon "HQ2" search was but sounds like the Valley might still benefit...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...riginally.html
Quote:
Amazon withdrew plans to open a 25,000-person office in New York, citing opposition from politicians there.

The Seattle-based company said it does not plan to reopen the search for an "HQ2." Amazon will move forward with plans for new offices in Northern Virginia and Nashville and will instead create those forecasted 25,000 jobs across its 17 North America tech hubs, including one in the Valley.

Amazon currently employs 350 at its tech hub in Tempe at Warner Road and Loop 101 at the Arizona State University Research Park. Operations include Amazon Business and Amazon Marketplace at the Tempe site, according to Amazon. It is unclear how many jobs might land in Tempe. However, if Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) split the jobs evenly across its 17 offices, each would receive approximately 1,470 jobs.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:47 PM

Tempe

I drove through Tempe yesterday and noticed a few things...

1. I'm confident that "Skyview" (SE of 8th st. and Rural) project is either on a huge hold or dead because I noticed them putting in pathways and trees on the property to make it like a small park. I cant imagine they would do this if something was coming soon. At least they are making the ugly lot look a little better. They are still on the development list.

https://www.connect.media/plans-filed-393-unit-skyview/

2. The oleanders that covered the ASU running track and baseball field have all been chopped down to the ground (looks horrible now) suggesting they are going to clear all that out for NOVUS

3. Traffic has become so bad in Tempe that I really don't know how it can support any more housing or large office spaces. With all the new construction and apartments coming end of this year/next I cant imagine what traffic will be like and especially since Tempe just ran out Lime/Razor scooters this week, transportation is becoming a mess.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 2:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
3. Traffic has become so bad in Tempe that I really don't know how it can support any more housing or large office spaces. With all the new construction and apartments coming end of this year/next I cant imagine what traffic will be like and especially since Tempe just ran out Lime/Razor scooters this week, transportation is becoming a mess.
Not really a bad thing. Tempe is poised to become a fully walk-able urban city. Also, the street car is going to help with moving people around. Maybe people will finally start ditching their cars or parking near the fringes and walking or riding the LRT/street car.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:29 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Not really a bad thing. Tempe is poised to become a fully walk-able urban city. Also, the street car is going to help with moving people around. Maybe people will finally start ditching their cars or parking near the fringes and walking or riding the LRT/street car.
Agreed. Tempe is multi-modal, not a mess. If a city is easier to traverse via train or bike than a car, that's not necessarily a problem. A certain degree of congestion is a sign of a place worth visiting, an urban success story.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Agreed. Tempe is multi-modal, not a mess. If a city is easier to traverse via train or bike than a car, that's not necessarily a problem. A certain degree of congestion is a sign of a place worth visiting, an urban success story.
I'd go as far to call congestion a 'feature,' and not a 'bug.' And even then Tempe, like most places is, congested for like one hour in the morning, and one hour in the evening, and that's mostly it. I bike most days, but I drove into work today down Rio Salado, and even by 8:50 AM there was essentially no congestion, even with construction on Rio Salado. I think there's a long way to go before I'd consider it an issue.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:59 PM

Tempe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
True, but where? From one side of mill to the other? The only thing that the streetcar services is State Farm and students. Maybe they will expand it to Tempe marketplace and Mesa Riverview in the future, which would make it better but, there is no new parking or anything and the people that already live in the immediate area are already walking/biking. I'm really referring to the thousands of people that will be driving in to work (from other parts of the valley) in the new offices and the thousands of people that will have cars in the new apartments. Let's be honest, not everyone that works in Tempe can afford the prices of some of those new "Luxury" apartments and and most people will NOT take the light rail because it doesn't service much of the valley where many families live and where much of the new growth of affordable housing resides (South Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Queen Creek). Most of the people at State Farm don't even live in Tempe. I lived in Tempe from 2007-2016 and saw tremendous growth during that time and witnessed the traffic get progressively worse, but in the last 3 years the construction has increased tenfold and many are not open yet. I live in Scottsdale now and I rarely drive thought Tempe because of the traffic.

https://www.homesnacks.net/most-expe...rizona-127544/

I do agree that the future is less cars, but its going to get a lot worse until it can get better because the infrastructure of the roads just can't support local traffic of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, I embrace growth (unlike half the people in Tempe) but can I see why they don't agree with some of the change. I just wish they would do more to fix the traffic/parking problem and I do wish people in AZ would embrace public transit more. All major/successful cities have a great public transportation system and I do believe we are slowly building towards that.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:39 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by asugrad View Post
True, but where? From one side of mill to the other? The only thing that the streetcar services is State Farm and students. Maybe they will expand it to Tempe marketplace and Mesa Riverview in the future, which would make it better but, there is no new parking or anything and the people that already live in the immediate area are already walking/biking. I'm really referring to the thousands of people that will be driving in to work (from other parts of the valley) in the new offices and the thousands of people that will have cars in the new apartments. Let's be honest, not everyone that works in Tempe can afford the prices of some of those new "Luxury" apartments and and most people will NOT take the light rail because it doesn't service much of the valley where many families live and where much of the new growth of affordable housing resides (South Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Gilbert, Queen Creek). Most of the people at State Farm don't even live in Tempe. I lived in Tempe from 2007-2016 and saw tremendous growth during that time and witnessed the traffic get progressively worse, but in the last 3 years the construction has increased tenfold and many are not open yet. I live in Scottsdale now and I rarely drive thought Tempe because of the traffic.

https://www.homesnacks.net/most-expe...rizona-127544/

I do agree that the future is less cars, but its going to get a lot worse until it can get better because the infrastructure of the roads just can't support local traffic of this magnitude. Don't get me wrong, I embrace growth (unlike half the people in Tempe) but can I see why they don't agree with some of the change. I just wish they would do more to fix the traffic/parking problem and I do wish people in AZ would embrace public transit more. All major/successful cities have a great public transportation system and I do believe we are slowly building towards that.
Two things that can be done:

First, employers in Downtown Tempe need to stop giving away parking. I'm not sure what State Farm does, but someone once told me that Chase gives employees free parking privileges in its garages along Ash Avenue. Free parking is probably the best way to create an incentive to drive alone. Charge a realistic price for parking and more employees with choose other options such as driving part of the way to a light rail park-and-ride. In addition, these employers should subsidize transit passes as part of the Maricopa County trip reduction program.

Second, Valley Metro should try again to implement express bus service connecting Downtown Tempe with other parts of the East Valley. The agency experimented with this about a decade ago with an express bus from Queen Creek to Tempe. It didn't work out, but maybe things have changed over the years. For those who work in Tempe but don't live near the light rail corridor, express buses might be an option. They're certainly popular among those who work in Downtown Phoenix.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:56 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Two things that can be done:

First, employers in Downtown Tempe need to stop giving away parking. I'm not sure what State Farm does, but someone once told me that Chase gives employees free parking privileges in its garages along Ash Avenue. Free parking is probably the best way to create an incentive to drive alone. Charge a realistic price for parking and more employees with choose other options such as driving part of the way to a light rail park-and-ride. In addition, these employers should subsidize transit passes as part of the Maricopa County trip reduction program
You don't necessarily need to charge your employees for the parking. Offering reduced fare transit passes does enough in itself. The State doesn't charge for parking in any of their Downtown garages, but a surprising amount of State employees do use LRT to get to work. I suspect the reduced fare is enough to justify not having to deal with traffic and gas costs during rush hour and there are PLENTY of parking spaces available where I work, so it's not a finding a spot to park issue.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I actually had a conversation last week with a co-worker that I haven't seen on the LRT lately. I asked her why she hasn't been riding. Her reply was "I'm a contractor, so I can't get Capital Rideshare until I'm hired full time. So it's costing me more to ride everyday than in gas. But when I am brought on full-time, I will start taking it again".

So yes, reduced fare does have an impact.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 8:24 PM
Skyriser

This whole thread demonstrates the notion of induced demand. There's too much traffic, so it keeps people from driving. As soon as a measure is implemented to increase throughput, traffic will fill back up and keep people away. It shouldn't have to be repeated here that you cannot pave your way out of congestion.

The plain stubbornness that would keep somebody from using a park-and-ride is a generational issue unless there's some overrarching reason like childcare which isn't often the case. Folks will also come to realize that a paycheck is more important than driving to work. In time, like myself, they will orient their commutes around *not* driving.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 4:15 PM

No specific news here (ha, as usual!) from me but was in downtown Tempe at the Moxie for an event and was pretty impressed at how dense and urban Tempe feels now. Super busy and happening (cool word for me!) place with a definite vibrancy and energy that wasn't there when I went to school (ahem) a while ago! Keeping kicking butt Tempe!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:22 PM

Interesting proposal for near Rural and Broadway "Tempe Micro Estates." Looks like a site for micro housing. I am sure we'll see more soon.

Also anyone notice on the proposal for the 9 story building at the Grand that it looks like they are changing the plans for the hard corner of Priest and Washington? Looks like the hotel footprint will sit against both Priest and Washington with the surface parking and drop off roundabout in the interior of the site. Not sure if there is retail still planned for street level or not? I guess well see when they submit that corner for review.

At least I like the angles incorporated into the new office building!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:33 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Wait.

Geez Louise!!!
Club Rio closed around 2007. I was sad, it used to be one of my favorite clubs during my college days. It was demolished and the lot sat empty for years. Thankfully, that whole northside of the lake,between Rural and Mill, has developed rapidly in the past couple of years and isn't the deslate eyesore it once was. Huge change indeed!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 4:38 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Interesting proposal for near Rural and Broadway "Tempe Micro Estates." Looks like a site for micro housing. I am sure we'll see more soon.
Interesting. I can't think of any empty lots in that area to build unless something is demoed. lol

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Interesting. I can't think of any empty lots in that area to build unless something is demoed. lol
It's a small development here: https://goo.gl/maps/QYS3JYDeZ3r

It's interesting to me that they prioritized having the units detached, despite being "micro." I'm all for variety, so it will be interesting to see if these are popular.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 7:56 PM

Camden II replacing the progressive Opp Center at Curry and 68th street.

http://azbex.com/397-unit-camden-hay...ecta-in-tempe/

Quote:
mden USA of Sherman Oaks, CA plans to nestle six four-story and one three-story apartment buildings on an 11.59-acre parcel situated between their existing Camden Hayden I and Camden Sotelo communities in Tempe.

The 397-unit development, called Camden Hayden II and located on the SEC of North College Avenue and East Weber Drive, would also include construction of a dog park.

With a density of 34.25 du/ac, Camden has proposed to designate the property as mixed-use rather than multi-family, citing the addition of two live-work units as a reason to meet zoning requirements. This would require transitioning the property from the current commercial use and increasing the density from medium to high.

The site is located in the GID zoning district and was previously used as Progressive Insurance Company office space and an estimating center to assess damaged vehicles. The older industrial site sits between two modern-era residential communities to the immediate north and east, owned and operated by Camden.

“The proposed density promotes a village environment with easy access to goods and services, business and recreation. The additional residential density will positively impact the surrounding businesses,” said the developer in the application.

Northeast of the proposed site is a strip mall including a Goodwill store, fast food restaurants/drive-thrus and a gas station. To the west and southwest, areas including Papago Park, Tempe Town Lake, the Green Belt and downtown Tempe offer residents a variety of recreation options.

“These areas, all within a walkable or bikeable distance from the proposed new development, are appropriate and complementary uses for residential – not industrial – users,” the developer claims.

The proposed development would provide a new bus shelter on College Avenue and complete the regional bicycle lane network for bicyclists traveling northbound on College Avenue, completing the entire segment from Gilbert Drive in Tempe to Thomas Road in the City of Scottsdale.

“The proposed land use encourages creatively designed developments which create a living environment, reflective of a village concept, in which there is the opportunity to live, work and recreate in the same development or within the area,” said the developer in the application.

Camden’s regard for its residents extends to their four-legged friends. The development plan for Camden Hayden II includes a proposed dog park on the SEC of College Avenue and Weber Drive and will be open to the general public.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Club Rio closed around 2007. I was sad, it used to be one of my favorite clubs during my college days. It was demolished and the lot sat empty for years. Thankfully, that whole northside of the lake,between Rural and Mill, has developed rapidly in the past couple of years and isn't the deslate eyesore it once was. Huge change indeed!
Ok then.

Please tell me Flaky Jakes hasn't closed for a high rise development!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest