HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Same here. When I went through campus last night I was admiring the legacy of great buildings there. The Spinks Addition next door is about 15 years old and looking great.

However, in future I wouldn't mind if the university pursued some high quality modern architecture. There are numerous campuses around the world that feature a complementary mix of contemporary and traditional design. The U of S plays it safer with these sorts of hybrid designs for new builds, which has worked out well, but I wouldn't mind some cutting edge stuff.
I agree that I would like to see the University attempt something new when it comes to hybrid designs. I definitely appreciate their adherence to the sandstone finishing that is the trademark of the school, but I think new buildings can look a lot more appealing than just "sandstone on the bottom, glass on the top", which is how most new buildings look. They shouldn't be afraid to take things in a different direction.

I'm thinking of the proposed College of Agriculture building from a few years ago. Maybe not that exactly, but the University shouldn't be afraid of more eye-catching architecture (so long as they keep the sandstone, that is).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I'm thinking of the proposed College of Agriculture building from a few years ago. Maybe not that exactly, but the University shouldn't be afraid of more eye-catching architecture (so long as they keep the sandstone, that is).
The linked story is to the proposed School of Architecture, which would reside off-campus at the old John Deer building in the north downtown warehouse district.

I agree with you, however, that there could be a little more variety in the new building designs as most of the new buildings do seem to follow a very similar tyndalstone, fieldstone and glass theme. I'm just hoping that they continue to stick to the overall program and avoid blunders (IMO) like the Arts Tower and Vet Med. Even the NRC and Engineering buildings, though fine buildings in their own right, don't really fit in with the rest of the campus facilities.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 4:04 PM

i have read with interest and the lively debate over the library. If we are going to offer anecdotal references to the debate, I can offer that on 2 visits to Halifax their library was a destination point to visit! Both times that I went to the facility, it was absolutely full of people. I cannot speak to how they were using the facility, but it was definitely a community gathering place.

I also find it interesting that I seldom to never visit our library, yet made two purposeful visits to the Halifax one....the building, atmosphere and vibe and amenities were definite draws.

Just saying.....

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 4:12 PM

To get us moved off Library.....exciting to see construction happening at Wanuskewin Park. I am really hopeful that they will be successful in their Unesco bid!

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ding-expansion

I would say though, that I feel the new design still misses the mark to be an engaging and interactive site....it comes across a bit more like a 'static' gallery of displays. In its early days, the site use to have a motion activated hall that as you walked through you would hear the buffalo pounding from above with a bison leaping off a cliff above you, as you moved through the all various displays would come to life with sound. Of course, technology is so much more advanced now that the opportunity for truly interactive and motion displays is limitless. I really don't see the Park capturing a childs imagination or a family's interest as much as it could....more potential....

Last edited by prairieguy; Aug 31, 2018 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
To get us moved off Library.....exciting to see construction happening at Wanuskewin Park. I am really hopeful that they will be successful in their Unesco bid!

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ding-expansion

I would say though, that I feel the new design still misses the mark to be an engaging and interactive site....it comes across a bit more like a 'static' gallery of displays. In its early days, the site use to have a motion activated hall that as you walked through you would hear the buffalo pounding from above with a bison leaping off a cliff above you, as you moved through the all various displays would come to life with sound. Of course, technology is so much more advanced now that the opportunity for truly interactive and motion displays is limitless. I really don't see the Park capturing a childs imagination or a family's interest as much as it could....more potential....
This is great news. Saskatoon will have at least two world class attractions when this is done (Remai Modern and Wanuskewin). Agree with you on the exhibit design, at least as presented in the videos. It looks a bit passive.

By the way there are 3 flyover/walkthrough videos now up on the Wanuskewin site: https://wanuskewin.com/our-story/new...-design-plans/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:27 PM

Hi all! Been reading these forums for a while now and just recently decided to create an account. An absolute complete change of topic, but does anyone have any info as to the construction/development of any of the Cannabis Retail stores?

Very interested in it business and development wise.

Cheers!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
i have read with interest and the lively debate over the library. If we are going to offer anecdotal references to the debate, I can offer that on 2 visits to Halifax their library was a destination point to visit! Both times that I went to the facility, it was absolutely full of people. I cannot speak to how they were using the facility, but it was definitely a community gathering place.

I also find it interesting that I seldom to never visit our library, yet made two purposeful visits to the Halifax one....the building, atmosphere and vibe and amenities were definite draws.

Just saying.....
I agree. I lived in Amsterdam until recently - it has a great library which is very popular with locals and visitors alike. I saw the exact same library debate play out in the Ottawa thread. I think the problem is that people are too fixated on the medium (books) rather than the broader purposes of libraries.

Books are still important but libraries today are about much more than books. They are community education centres and gathering places. Perhaps the only fully public institutions that anyone can access and benefit directly from. The Amsterdam library has books but it also provides places for people to read newspapers, use the internet, attend public lectures, or even go to a restaurant. Saskatoon could benefit greatly from such a library, which ideally would increase the quality of life of Saskatoon residents, improve literacy/reduce inequality (it is often immigrants and uneducated people who benefit most from libraries and they may not have good internet access at home), and even provide city services.

My fear is not the money spent on a potential library but that we will go cheap and build something that is not as useful as it could be.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
In the last few posts defunct CD’s, defunct DVD’s,
Defunct? Right. That's why people keep using them.

You mentioned something about elitism earlier?

Quote:
driving teenagers driving from their suburb (which already has a library)
We can't all be as perfect as you with your downtown condo. My daughters go to the Stonebridge, branch, as well, but it's small and has a rather limited selection.

Quote:
to downtown’s library to hang (I don’t know a single teenager who’s gone to a library when their school has one)
Well, you must have your finger on the pulse of what is happening with teenagers. How old are your children? What experience are you basing this on?

Quote:
and many more silly remarks about how going to a library is a social gathering (when reading books is best done by yourself lol)
Your condo must be on a high floor. I bet it helps to look down on us silly people.

Quote:
Too much duplication in this old school way of thinking all for a fancy building.
Yep. That's all it is. A fancy building.

It must be nice to be able to ignore all the logical points about how much the central library is actually being used, who it is built for, why it is needed for people who don't have access to resources like the Internet and can't buy books whenever they please.

Quote:
Very interesting to see people trying to make a social justification for a library when those funds could lift quite a few out of poverty. Thanks for the discussion.
Interesting you bring this up. Your motivations are purely altruistic, apparently. I guess that's also why you're behind spending $300 million of taxpayer money on a new downtown arena.

Nevermind the role public libraries play in providing those in poverty with resources to further their education, to search and apply for jobs, and to meet with with support or community groups.

Well, consider me enlightened. Now, I don't expect you to go back and address all the relevant points people made or to correct your obvious factual mistakes. I'm sure you have much better things to do. One suggestion, however: go back to that university you keep touting and take a couple philosophy classes. Your ability to reason and form coherent counterarguments is lacking, to be kind.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:13 PM

c'mon folks....let's not get into these kind of personal attacks on peoples opinions...state your case and let it be....
one of the reasons I seldom read the Regina post is there is often a "war of words" and personalities on there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
c'mon folks....let's not get into these kind of personal attacks on peoples opinions...state your case and let it be....
one of the reasons I seldom read the Regina post is there is often a "war of words" and personalities on there.
roryn1 invited it, just saying. Bad behavior and opinions needs to be called out. Its essential for a functioning and informed democracy.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
roryn1 invited it, just saying. Bad behavior and opinions needs to be called out. Its essential for a functioning and informed democracy.
I personally think that public libraries are an expensive anachronism in the internet age. Regarding CD's I am an old guy and even I thought no-one uses them anymore. I recently realized that a car I bought new in 2015 had never once had its CD player used. I just use Spotify.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I personally think that public libraries are an expensive anachronism in the internet age. Regarding CD's I am an old guy and even I thought no-one uses them anymore. I recently realized that a car I bought new in 2015 had never once had its CD player used. I just use Spotify.
But I am sure you are smart enough to recognize that others still make use of these things.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
But I am sure you are smart enough to recognize that others still make use of these things.
Probably libraries, but only because they are "free". Should they be? City rec facilities are not. CD's: I actually had no idea people still used them. They are so inconvenient and limited.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Probably libraries, but only because they are "free". Should they be? City rec facilities are not. CD's: I actually had no idea people still used them. They are so inconvenient and limited.
Should libraries be free? Really? Ffs I can’t do this anymore... Do you want to start charging for access to public parks, too? Let me guess, you are a Baby Boomer? Fuck everyone who doesn’t have money amiright?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Should libraries be free? Really? Ffs I can’t do this anymore... Do you want to start charging for access to public parks, too? Let me guess, you are a Baby Boomer? Fuck everyone who doesn’t have money amiright?
Ok now.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Hey its' a question. I did not say I agree, but I think it is worth asking. If we have to pay for sports, recreation, university, dentists, pharmaceuticals, public transit, etc., should libraries be free to all?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:02 PM

so these developers from Vancouver think that we should automatically beleive what they say. First they change the proposed plan. Then they complain that the city isn't moving quick enough to accommodate them. I want to see this area developed too but not at any cost. Maybe they should pay for the moving of the city yards. I like out of town developers coming in and giving some new ideas but it would be nice to see some of them instead of some cheesy pictures done in an art class, and I am familiar with Arbutus from when i lived in Vancouver.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ity-yards-plan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Hey its' a question. I did not say I agree, but I think it is worth asking. If we have to pay for sports, recreation, university, dentists, pharmaceuticals, public transit, etc., should libraries be free to all?
Yes. Just like parks, public primary and secondary education, primary public health care, police, and city fire protection. In my opinion, primary dental, pharmaceuticals and university (at least the first 2 years) should be added to the list (once the Baby Boomers are out of power, these things will happen, as we realize the privatizing of public services that they spearheaded was extremely greedy and shortsighted in a time when the country - not individuals - hasn't been more wealthy).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Yes. Just like parks, public primary and secondary education, primary public health care, police, and city fire protection. In my opinion, primary dental, pharmaceuticals and university (at least the first 2 years) should be added to the list (once the Baby Boomers are out of power, these things will happen, as we realize the privatizing of public services that they spearheaded was extremely greedy and shortsighted in a time when the country - not individuals - hasn't been more wealthy).
You mean they will happen when the baby boomers are retired and are drawing heavily on the health care system and public pensions and also have much diminished incomes? Where will all this new tax revenue come from?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You mean they will happen when the baby boomers are retired and are drawing heavily on the health care system and public pensions and also have much diminished incomes? Where will all this new tax revenue come from?
We will figure it out like we have for other things. There's momentum in the US for the things I am speaking of (from the rising crop of Democrats, as well as Bernie Sanders, who likely would have beat Trump if he went up against him instead of HRC doing so) and many of these policies already exist in Europe. We just have to get through this bump in the road of old-wealth trying to reverse social investment. Trump is doing his best to lift the veil on the greed, corruption and ignorance that has been plaguing our society since at least the 80s and I believe we all will make it out of this bruised but better informed and increasingly vigilant and determined.

I think its time we get back on to topic however.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan