HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:50 PM

Doh!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 3:12 AM

New future for historic Saskatoon locations

ALEXA LAWLOR Updated: June 11, 2018

Quote:
A new future is on the horizon for two historic Saskatoon locations: the former site of Lydia’s Pub on Broadway Avenue and the long-vacant former downtown home of the EGADZ youth outreach centre.

Prairie Sun Brewery’s new building on Broadway will contain elements of the old Farnam Block building that was home to Lydia’s, according to Heather Williams, CEO and co-creator of the company.

Williams said she has many fond memories of Lydia’s — it was even the place where she remembers having her first craft beer.

“It means the world to me that I get to be a part of (bringing new life to the location). I think it’s a big responsibility, because we need to respectfully pay tribute to what was there before and to the history of the area.”

Old brick and beams from the Farnam Block will be used, and will also be part of a tour beginning at a bar made out of bricks from Lydia’s.

Saskatoon has lost many historic locations over the years, but Mayor Charlie Clark said the city may retain one in the building at the corner of First Avenue North and 24th Street, the former location of EGADZ.

“Sometimes we lament losing heritage buildings. It’s pretty awesome when you can have one become reclaimed or found again,” he said.

Renovations have begun with restoring the original structure’s exterior and interior, which included stripping back cedar shakes and concrete block on the outside and removing interior partitions. The beginning of the renovations uncovered a hidden gem, Clark said.

“By taking off the nightclub siding it just revealed that this beautiful brick building was in our community and we weren’t aware of it.”

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...toon-locations

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:19 PM

The Smith Block on Broadway (housing Calories) is getting a façade makeover to return it to its original brickwork.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:23 PM

I am loving this throw back to rediscovering the beautiful heritage of our older buildings!

So, has Prairie Breweries now taken over the development and ownership of the Lydia property...it sure looks that way. Like the sounds of their plans.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

Nope. Prairie Sun is the tenant for 80% of the building. There is still one retail space left.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:34 PM

I'm trying to post for the first time after YEARS of following this forum to see what's going on in my hometown

Came across the newest (I believe) rendering for the old Farnam Block. Looks great! If this doesn't work, I'll try to post again later.

edit: Nope, didn't work! Maybe someone could help me out? Was posted by Phil Tank (@thinktanksk) on June 6th!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet1991 View Post

I'm trying to post for the first time after YEARS of following this forum to see what's going on in my hometown

Came across the newest (I believe) rendering for the old Farnam Block. Looks great! If this doesn't work, I'll try to post again later.

edit: Nope, didn't work! Maybe someone could help me out? Was posted by Phil Tank (@thinktanksk) on June 6th!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The scale or proportions of the building seem off. Or maybe its just the size of the cornice that makes it seem heavy. I dunno

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:02 AM

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/saska...n/?published=t

Came across this, its going up across the street from Earls.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:18 AM

^ Thanks for sharing. Saw the project sign up at the corner, but couldn't find an image online.

This looks like a well-mannered building to help frame and urbanize that corner. The kind of thing I'd love to see infilling our many parking lots in the city centre, but I'll take it here too.

Although the round-cornered dance school and old Ming's roof sign are kind of rad in their own way: https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.13664...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
^ Thanks for sharing. Saw the project sign up at the corner, but couldn't find an image online.

This looks like a well-mannered building to help frame and urbanize that corner. The kind of thing I'd love to see infilling our many parking lots in the city centre, but I'll take it here too.

Although the round-cornered dance school and old Ming's roof sign are kind of rad in their own way: https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.13664...7i13312!8i6656
Yeah I have always liked that existing building as well. But I love brick, and this new design is done tastefully. Creating new street frontage along this portion of 2nd Ave/Queen St. is a good future connection corridor between city park and the future north industrial once that plan is developed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:02 PM

Agreed....love the brick and believe it is the start of what could be a really interesting North Downtown development if design guidelines like this are followed...kind of a Gastown Vancouver or St.Lawrence Market area in Toronto vibe.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 4:16 PM

Agree with you both.

I've always thought that 2nd Ave N should evolve with a distinct character to become a main street for City Park. This helps.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 6:14 PM

Yeah, I agree that the Farnam replacement looks a bit... tall and brutish? But picturing the completed product on that stretch of Broadway, it seems like it will compliment the area quite nicely.. Imagine Broadway with a new apartment building (Baydo), the Farnam replacement, the new Escala condo, and the possible Urban Capital building at the top of the bridge! Amazing!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:01 PM

Midtown Plaza proposes $80M renovation, Sears space revamp

Saskatoon / 650 CKOM
Chris Vandenbreekel
June 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Quote:
The owners of Midtown Plaza are planning a massive renovation to change the perception of the downtown Saskatoon shopping centre.

The mall presented plans for a privately-funded $80 million revamp Wednesday to city council’s planning, development and community services committee, outlining how space left empty when Sears closed in January will be redeveloped.

The concept includes two new flagship tenants in the retail space, a food court on the second floor of the Sears area with glass walls overlooking downtown and improved access from Idylwyld Drive.

An additional $25 million may be spent on existing storefronts.

Michael Mehak, representing the mall’s owners, told committee members the renovations would “turn around” the mall towards Idylwyld and prevent it from being perceived as the “back” of the building.

Skylights, interior walkways and landscaping are also part of the proposed 30-month project.

The Saskatoon Regional Economic Development Authority (SREDA) is backing the renovation plans, as are the Downtown YXE and Riversdale Business Improvement Districts (BIDs).

“As Midtown Plaza goes, so does downtown Saskatoon,” Downtown YXE executive director Brent Penner said.

“This project needs to move forward now. Downtown Saskatoon needs this investment now.”

Randy Pshebylo, executive director of the Riversdale BID, called Midtown Plaza the “heartbeat” of downtown business and encouraged councillors to support the project.

Mehak told councillors the project would create hundreds of temporary jobs during construction, along with 200-300 permanent part-time positions once the new area of the mall opens.

Midtown Plaza made the presentation to councillors in the hopes of receiving a break on additional property taxes resulting from the project.

[....]
http://www.ckom.com/2018/06/13/midto...-space-revamp/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:29 PM

That is quite exciting....and now is the time to start the planning for a downtown arena and convention centre at the north end of the mall...what an impact all of that would have on downtown Saskatoon!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:24 PM

Better quality images:

https://twitter.com/thinktankSK

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:41 PM

Midtown

A huge improvement and excellent that they recognize that all new stores and restaurants must use the word "artisan".

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:57 AM
Has been

I'm just glad we are finally getting a Luxa.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:33 AM

Hopefully Luxa is code for Zara

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan