HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Do you have a link to these?
https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Meet...s=info&Search=

It's #24

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Thanks Spoiler. I appreciate it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:06 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I was in the minority in that I liked the second version more than the first, but if this one has ground/river level retail, this is definitely the best of the three.
I still like the first one best. I thought it was very original and fit well with the Riverwalk. This one is definitely better than the second version though. I'll be happy to see it built.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I still like the first one best. I thought it was very original and fit well with the Riverwalk. This one is definitely better than the second version though. I'll be happy to see it built.
I think we can agree that this one is a good compromise, especially if they treat ground/river level retail seriously.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:25 AM

Very nice. I would prefer to see this at 1603 Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 1:41 AM

In other news, if the Floodgate developers can fire Overland, maybe the Hemisfair developers can do the same.

Live in hope!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
In other news, if the Floodgate developers can fire Overland, maybe the Hemisfair developers can do the same.

Live in hope!
Yeah, good luck with that.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:03 PM

**deleted

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:52 PM
Meh

Both San Antonio and Austin's Business Journals did an article on it. I'm posting both because I couldn't access the San Antonio article, maybe someone else can.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...seek-hdrc.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...tower-for.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 9:51 PM
James

SA Biz
Quote:
The first project is the 17-story Floodgate. The mixed-use residential and retail project has been in the public eye since 2016, when it received HDRC approval as a 10-story, 55-unit, mixed-use complex.

The project will be on East Commerce Street, next to the Esquire Tavern and the future Hilton Canopy hotel. The property will feature River Walk frontage and will require the demolition of two structures — at 139 and 141 E. Commerce St.

The Floodgate is being developed by local interior designer and developer Keller Henderson, who has brought on Austin-based architecture firm Rhode Partners to design the tower. The latest plans for the tower include two restaurant spaces — one 3,800-square-foot space on the River Walk level and one 3,500-square-foot space along Commerce Street — with apartments above, Henderson said.

Henderson's development team is planning for 60 residential units, with four penthouses, he wrote in an email. The residential units could range from 850 to 1,300 square feet, with the penthouses having up to 1,500 square feet. Rents will be market rate and vary with size, location within the tower, and unit amenities.

"We’re excited about the dynamic design Rhode Partners has created, and feel it will be a landmark building that will set the standard for downtown’s new energy and lifestyle," Henderson wrote in his email.

Residential amenities will include an on-site automated parking system, a landscaped open mezzanine on the fourth level with an outdoor lounge and grill, a pet area, pocket gardens, and an indoor lounge and event space. The rooftop level will have a fitness center with yoga and cycling rooms, and an open-air lap pool and landscaped garden.

The second project coming before the HDRC Wednesday is tentatively called the Augusta at McCullough. It is a planned five-story apartment complex by Stillwater Capital, a Dallas-based real estate development, acquisition and management company. The building would sit on a nearly 2.3-acre city block enclosed by Augusta and Dallas streets and Brooklyn and McCullough avenues.

According to plans submitted to the HDRC, the project would feature a first-floor pool and courtyard, a fitness center, a parking garage with entrances on Brooklyn and McCullough avenues, and 260 apartment units. The project has been designed by Dallas-based architecture company Hensley Lamkin Rachel Inc.

Stillwater Capital has developed several multifamily communities around Dallas, College Station and Austin, as well as at least one prior community in San Antonio, the 107-unit Alcove at Alamo Heights, which it sold in 2017.

Two historic buildings, the Claudius King House and the Nesbitt House, are on the property, and the project will not receive final approval unless the relocation of both buildings has been granted, according to the HDRC.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:26 PM

Wow, TWO different restaurants, including one on Commerce?

Excellent news.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Agreed. This building is being done right. More like that.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:58 AM

HDRC just voted unanimously to approve it.

https://therivardreport.com/hdrc-gra...ry-apartments/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
San Antonio Conservation Society First Vice President Patti Zaiontz was the only person to speak against the project, describing the changes to the plan as “going in the wrong direction.”

“While the original design related to the River Walk and the adjacent historic buildings, the new plan performs poorly in both regards,” Zaiontz said.

I believe this is the formal version of "SAN ANTONIO IS A UNIQUE AND HISTORICAL CITY!!! "

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 12:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ I agree with Zaiontz completely, and I'll add that the first design was the most original, but I'm still happy that the second best design is being built.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
HDRC just voted unanimously to approve it.

https://therivardreport.com/hdrc-gra...ry-apartments/

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:50 PM

Eight-sided buildings must be an evolving image for San Antonio. That's cool.

The original proposal seemed more stylish and striking, but this is certainly meatier and taller. If we were to criticize, I would be disappointed that the automated garage portion has to be hidden behind a blank screen as that blank screen with little relation to the levels and clerestories of the neighboring building makes for a dreary streetscape. I suppose it could be jazzed up with murals or signage, or give it normal windows so onlookers can admire the functioning of the automated garage, or maybe even dress it with actual sidewalk canopies with interesting canopy ties and braces...anything but a vast blank mass.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:41 PM
looking at plans...

I'd build it!
But then again, I'm in the business of building...so I'd build just about anything!

Just saying...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:07 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindentanic View Post
... maybe even dress it with actual sidewalk canopies with interesting canopy ties and braces...anything but a vast blank mass.
The HDRC told them to add a canopy over the Commerce sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
The HDRC told them to add a canopy over the Commerce sidewalk.
NICE!
Kinda like a welcome canopy?
It says welcome to a residential building on the famous San Antonio Riverwalk

After all, the 1926 Bushnell Building has a canopy that is welcoming to guests and tenants

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio