HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I was taking a look at the traffic bridge yesterday. Does anyone else think that the galvanized railing looks very much out of place against the pre-rusted patina of the main bridge structure?
Yes, a thousand times yes.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Interesting to note that the recommended height for the space currently occupied by Toys R Us is 8-10 stories, substantially lower than the tower shown in the 'rendering' released by Cushman & Wakefield.
Toys R Us isn't going anywhere.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8o View Post
Toys R Us isn't going anywhere.
I would not be so sure. Toy sales are moving online in a big way. Also there is speculation that the new owners are mostly interested in the real estate.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Yes, a thousand times yes.
Couldn't agree more! My wife and I were just talking about that on the weekend when we were at Persephone. If they were intentionally trying to make it so different, maybe they should have done sections of colour blocking and make it almost like an art installation piece. Doubt that would have increased price a great deal and would have become a bit of a landmark.

Not exactly what I mean but gives you an idea:

https://www.designboom.com/art/andy-...600-knittings/

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Couldn't agree more! My wife and I were just talking about that on the weekend when we were at Persephone. If they were intentionally trying to make it so different, maybe they should have done sections of colour blocking and make it almost like an art installation piece. Doubt that would have increased price a great deal and would have become a bit of a landmark.

Not exactly what I mean but gives you an idea:

https://www.designboom.com/art/andy-...600-knittings/
I have an idea: they should put LED lights on it that change colour and make patterns! That can't be too expensive, right?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I have an idea: they should put LED lights on it that change colour and make patterns! That can't be too expensive, right?
I think the City may have a few sitting around... :p

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:53 AM

There's a City report in a committee agenda here regarding a request from Baydo Development to allow a proposed building at 834 Broadway Ave (vacant lot at Broadway & Main where the RBC was) to extend underground under the Main Street sidewalk.

The site plan provided notes:

- 2 floors of underground parkade
- Commercial main and 2nd floors
- 74 unit apartment above

Another parking lot on Broadway potentially gone. If this goes ahead along with the Farnam site, the Meridian project on University Drive, and the rumoured Urban Capital tower next to the Roastery, Broadway could see a lot of positive change in the next few years.

I am apprehensive about the design quality of what Baydo might come up with for this site given some of their past suburban work, but I'm willing to be optimistic.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I was taking a look at the traffic bridge yesterday. Does anyone else think that the galvanized railing looks very much out of place against the pre-rusted patina of the main bridge structure?
I think it is an abomination.

Even people I work with who think it was a good idea to forgo the opportunity to build an iconic bridge in favor of a 19th century ripoff are commenting on how bad it looks.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:56 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
There's a City report in a committee agenda here regarding a request from Baydo Development to allow a proposed building at 834 Broadway Ave (vacant lot at Broadway & Main where the RBC was) to extend underground under the Main Street sidewalk.

Another parking lot on Broadway potentially gone. If this goes ahead along with the Farnam site, the Meridian project on University Drive, and the rumoured Urban Capital tower next to the Roastery, Broadway could see a lot of positive change in the next few years.

I am apprehensive about the design quality of what Baydo might come up with for this site given some of their past suburban work, but I'm willing to be optimistic.

http://baydo.ca/maincontent/our_proj..._saskatoon.php

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:56 PM

So interesting the proposed Baydo projects describe the living units as "apartments" and not "condos". They must be planning a rental property....not sure how I feel about that, as with rentals there always seems to be a deficiency in quality and design and this is too important an avenue and district, to have substandard design.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:

Thats the future grocery store for broadway. Thats what it looks like IMO.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So interesting the proposed Baydo projects describe the living units as "apartments" and not "condos". They must be planning a rental property....not sure how I feel about that, as with rentals there always seems to be a deficiency in quality and design and this is too important an avenue and district, to have substandard design.
Yeah, the link macca provided describes it as a rental apartment.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post

Even people I work with who think it was a good idea to forgo the opportunity to build an iconic bridge in favor of a 19th century ripoff are commenting on how bad it looks.
We were never going to get an iconic bridge. It was either the remake or a flat concrete bridge, and given those two options I think they made the right choice.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
We were never going to get an iconic bridge. It was either the remake or a flat concrete bridge, and given those two options I think they made the right choice.
No argument there. But even as a hardcore car guy, I think we could have done without a new traffic bridge (as we have been doing for many years now).
An iconic pedestrian bridge would have been a welcome addition to River Landing.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post

All I can say is ugh to this new bridge as a whole, right from the beginning.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
No argument there. But even as a hardcore car guy, I think we could have done without a new traffic bridge (as we have been doing for many years now).
An iconic pedestrian bridge would have been a welcome addition to River Landing.
Minneapolis Train Bridge is one of my favourite repurposed pedestrian bridges I have been on so far. Would have been cool for the city to have something similar.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I'd been meaning to post asking if I was the only one who thought that, but glad to see I'm not. Well, it's sad that it looks so bad and we're all thinking that of course. I haven't seen the rails up close (only from driving by on Idylwyld), but I think they look different than the concept renderings, and of-course are the wrong colour--maybe they'll paint them?

Source: City of Saskatoon Website

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the link macca provided describes it as a rental apartment.

When is this supposed to be presented to council? and if so, how soon are they looking to get this going if its approved.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:56 PM

On the traffic bridge railing discussion, it's good to see the rendering showing the railing matching the superstructure. Painting galvanized steel is a little more challenging than standard primed steel but is certainly done regularly.

However, if they are to be painted, I would have thought that they would have came to site pre-painted with only touch-ups to be done on site. Painting above the river adds a lot more complexity, as one has to carefully ensure that there will be no contamination of the environment.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
On the traffic bridge railing discussion, it's good to see the rendering showing the railing matching the superstructure. Painting galvanized steel is a little more challenging than standard primed steel but is certainly done regularly.

However, if they are to be painted, I would have thought that they would have came to site pre-painted with only touch-ups to be done on site. Painting above the river adds a lot more complexity, as one has to carefully ensure that there will be no contamination of the environment.
Yeah, it would seem strange to leave them unpainted and do it after they're installed on the bridge if that's the intention--doesn't leave me with much confidence that they will be done initially (maybe if/when enough people complain they'll go back and do it?).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan