HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
So the real truth comes out. You just don’t agree that government money should spent on the gallery. Isn’t it refreshing when you tell the truth? BTW, before you go besmirching the reputations of people involved in the project, you might want make sure you have some actual proof. Mindless accusations are unfair to everyone involved.
Goodness, how'd you get THAT off base? That's some strong posturing.

I said that for that amount of money that the initial renderings, look very underwhelming.

It was a cynical, off-the-cuff comment with no evidence based bearing, so you can settle down. We've had plenty of these across this forum. But rather than even question the high cost yourself, you besmirch me.

So here's some easy math, and numbers are my industry. So now I'm back in my wheelhouse.

60 Million dollars
40,000 square feet
$1500/sq ft

A sultan could spec this thing and come in under budget.

For context:
Hydro Headquarters, notoriously well-spec'd: $400/sf
TNS I heard is low-mid $300s/sf
300 Main is under $300/sf
300 Assiniboine is under $200/sf

See where I'm coming from?

Let's assume $20M is for Art and programming. Now it's $1000/sf, at which price it should still be an alternate universe, not a building.

$30M for art? Still at $750/sf. Now the Sultan risks breaking his budget. You could build and program this thing for $20M, where you clock in at $500/sf. WHich is still rioting-in-the-streets high.

My thoughts, maybe a tad crass for you, were whimsical. Yet it was easier for you to spin this into purely on politics, or insinuate that I'm veiling my reasons or opinions, or that I want to besmirch good people.

I made it very clear that the high cost was the problem, as cost is a primary concern of all things construction and government. Sorry, but if you couldn't be bothered to get a basic grasp on the primitive mathematics I'm showing here, why do you besmirch me?

Edit: Further context... CMHR? $1,200/sf

That building atleast covered all of humanity and exhibited some of the most exotic materials and construction methods in North America. And we all agreed it was financially wasteful. The construction of this thing would be infinitely simpler.

Last edited by Wolf13; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:23 AM

A good chunk of that money will be going to renovations to the existing building. How much, I don't know, but a lot of the spaces will be getting redone, including all of the galleries.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Goodness, how'd you get THAT off base? That's some strong posturing.

I said that for that amount of money that the initial renderings, look very underwhelming.

It was a cynical, off-the-cuff comment with no evidence based bearing, so you can settle down. We've had plenty of these across this forum. But rather than even question the high cost yourself, you besmirch me.

So here's some easy math, and numbers are my industry. So now I'm back in my wheelhouse.

60 Million dollars
40,000 square feet
$1500/sq ft

A sultan could spec this thing and come in under budget.

For context:
Hydro Headquarters, notoriously well-spec'd: $400/sf
TNS I heard is low-mid $300s/sf
300 Main is under $300/sf
300 Assiniboine is under $200/sf

See where I'm coming from?

Let's assume $20M is for Art and programming. Now it's $1000/sf, at which price it should still be an alternate universe, not a building.

$30M for art? Still at $750/sf. Now the Sultan risks breaking his budget. You could build and program this thing for $20M, where you clock in at $500/sf. WHich is still rioting-in-the-streets high.

My thoughts, maybe a tad crass for you, were whimsical. Yet it was easier for you to spin this into purely on politics, or insinuate that I'm veiling my reasons or opinions, or that I want to besmirch good people.

I made it very clear that the high cost was the problem, as cost is a primary concern of all things construction and government. Sorry, but if you couldn't be bothered to get a basic grasp on the primitive mathematics I'm showing here, why do you besmirch me?

Edit: Further context... CMHR? $1,200/sf

That building atleast covered all of humanity and exhibited some of the most exotic materials and construction methods in North America. And we all agreed it was financially wasteful. The construction of this thing would be infinitely simpler.
Wow, you spend a whole lot of time desperately trying to prove you’re right about everything. Sorry, I just don’t support allegations of malfeasance without proof. But apparently that’s how you roll.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 7:45 PM
There is always a way

No I think he's got a point. Why the hell is the cost so bloody high compared to even the most technically challenging of builds. I think we need to see a cost breakdown because that seems way out of whack. Especially since public money is on the line. We the taxpayers should get the best value possible for the money we spend and even a cursory glance at those figures, even if they are exaggerated, should tell people that we're not getting the full picture or something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Overall this will be a good thing for the city but damn we better be getting the Taj Mahal for that price.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 8:05 PM

^ For context, RRC's 100,000 sf expansion is budgeted at $95 million.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 9:08 PM

With regards to the shape, I think I would have preferred a transformation from the the letter A the museum currently resembles to a somewhat uneven triangle with the incorporation of the addition. Keep the prominent straight edges. I'm not sure if that would have been viable with the current budget as my vision would have involved blowing out the entire south side of the current building and reconfiguring everything in the interior.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 10:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ For context, RRC's 100,000 sf expansion is budgeted at $95 million.
Based off the renders I much prefer the RRC expansion. Idk it just seems like lots for a crooked box clad in tin foil.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 11:29 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
So the real truth comes out. You just don’t agree that government money should spent on the gallery. Isn’t it refreshing when you tell the truth? BTW, before you go besmirching the reputations of people involved in the project, you might want make sure you have some actual proof. Mindless accusations are unfair to everyone involved.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Wow, you spend a whole lot of time desperately trying to prove you’re right about everything. Sorry, I just don’t support allegations of malfeasance without proof. But apparently that’s how you roll.
"Trying to prove"? I'm just trying to be as clear as possible, something you said I wasn't.

This also isn't desperate, it's obvious; and perfectly reasonable to question overspending on a public project. In what world is that not ok?

It appears that you redirect to whimsical "malfeasance" to mask that you don't understand how much money $500/1000/1500 per sf is. That, or you'd rather win an argument at the expense of the biggest factor in real estate: cost.

I didn't name anyone, I made a cynical comment that was hardly out of bounds. Other public figures have been treated way worse on this site, by name.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:21 PM

So does anyone know what's happening with this thing? It seems like the project is a chain-link fence and a bunch of construction trailers so far. Does it stay that way until they've sorted their fundraising, or...?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
So does anyone know what's happening with this thing? It seems like the project is a chain-link fence and a bunch of construction trailers so far. Does it stay that way until they've sorted their fundraising, or...?
They're doing all the main building renovations first (currently).

All the galleries are being redone, as well as the offices and curatorial space, Shop, and right now the restaurant and rooftop are being gutted and redone. They still haven't decided what the final product of the new restaurant will be though, which is a little odd.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They're doing all the main building renovations first (currently).

All the galleries are being redone, as well as the offices and curatorial space, Shop, and right now the restaurant and rooftop are being gutted and redone. They still haven't decided what the final product of the new restaurant will be though, which is a little odd.
so.... new inuit gallery, ~2028?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:25 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a transition period right now from the Pre-Construction Manager (Akman) to the Construction Manager (PCL). Akman's contract ran until Apr 15, 2018. PCL will build the actual building and hope to start early summer.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 1:50 PM
the first stamp is free

Drawings are well underway.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:44 AM

I wonder if the exterior façade has change from that metallic silver to white? Or maybe i just assumed it was metallic and it was always white, most of the renderings are so dark.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:26 PM

I'm pretty sure it's been tyndall from day 1.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been tyndall from day 1.
You are probably right for some reason my Eye always thought it had Disney concert hall like exterior finish I think because of the funky architecture

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:14 PM

I was by the site yesterday and they have started to strip the limestone cladding off of the side of the WAG that will connect with the new Inuit Art Centre.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:37 AM

Winnipeg Art Gallery
@wag_ca
You're invited: groundbreaking celebration for the Inuit Art Centre at the WAG. Next Friday, May 25, followed by an exhibition preview of SakKijâjuk. Read more: http://ow.ly/u3mM30k2jEk #inuitartcentre

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:44 AM

So I guess they’re just going ahead and will find the other $5m somewhere else?

That little pocket on St. Mary is gonna have a remarkable 3 year before and after. UW essentially doubling the residents in that little area in just a few years. Hopefully forces a better look at cycling on Osborne/Colony and refreshing Memorial Park. Maybe even that on-again-off-again project at 230 (?) Osborne will continue me back to life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan