HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
I think we can thank the Rush and large concerts for showing us the issue with the Sasktel Centre. Nothing around it was built as per the original vision, and the arena itself isn't designed to house the capacity it currently has. Renovations might not be feasible because they would likely oust the current tenants for a season or more. It would probably cost more than it's worth.

After hearing that we've had some representatives head to Edmonton to view their new Ice District leads me to believe that downtown is absolutely in the cards.
Thats what ive been told too

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
I think we can thank the Rush and large concerts for showing us the issue with the Sasktel Centre. Nothing around it was built as per the original vision, and the arena itself isn't designed to house the capacity it currently has. Renovations might not be feasible because they would likely oust the current tenants for a season or more. It would probably cost more than it's worth.
The Rush are the difficult party in potential Reno's. The Blades could move to the new arena at the University temporarily and be no worse for wear, but there's nowhere for the Rush.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Saskatoon, Regina led national growth rate in 2017
Statistics Canada says Saskatoon grew by 2.8%, Regina grew by 2.4%

CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rate-1.4533264
A few observations:

From 2013 to 2017, Regina grew by 22,418 people.
From 2013 to 2017, Saskatoon grew by 33,206 people.
From 2013 to 2017, Winnipeg grew by 55,353 people.
From 2013 to 2017, Saskatoon and Regina combined grew by 55,624 people (edging out Winnipeg that has a much larger population base than Saskatoon and Regina combined).

In 2013, Saskatoon's population was 59,801 more than Regina.
In 2017, Saskatoon's population was 70,589 more than Regina.
Question is: Why is this population gap continuing to widen?

Source:
http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a26...ataTable&csid=

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
A few observations:

From 2013 to 2017, Saskatoon and Regina combined grew by 55,624 people (edging out Winnipeg that has a much larger population base than Saskatoon and Regina combined).

Source:
One reason is Regina's over-reliance on Government and Crown jobs which have been contracting if you take out health care.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:21 PM

Part of the difference in growth rates can be attributed to the Saskatoon Land Branch in my opinion. The Saskatoon Land branch builds out lands anticipating growth whereas the Regina market this is left to the private sector which has been much more conservative and slow at supplying land. This is most glaring in examining the industrial land supplies in the two cities. During the boom time Saskatoon had ample industrial land to offer companies and therefore attracting new jobs and new population. Regina just didn't have this and I believe will suffer long term because of this.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
A few observations:

Source:
Because more people are moving to Saskatoon than Regina.

Seriously though, Saskatoon has more going for it overall.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 1:41 AM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:55 PM
Registered Geek

Keo's and Popey's

- Keo's is apparently moving from their current location (rented) on Broadway & 8th to their new location (owned) at Broadway & Taylor somewhere between the two restaurants currently anchored there. This move is slated for this spring (2018). The new space will be a little smaller than their existing location, but it will be owned rather than rented.

- Signage is up on the old Bonanza site for a new east side Popey's location. I'm not sure whether it will be part of a small strip mall or a stand-alone location.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:23 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
- Keo's is apparently moving from their current location (rented) on Broadway & 8th to their new location (owned) at Broadway & Taylor somewhere between the two restaurants currently anchored there. This move is slated for this spring (2018). The new space will be a little smaller than their existing location, but it will be owned rather than rented.

- Signage is up on the old Bonanza site for a new east side Popey's location. I'm not sure whether it will be part of a small strip mall or a stand-alone location.
The building housing Keos is shedding tenants. Saskatoon Optical is gone as of the end of the month.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:32 PM

ICR Commercial real estate's marketing brochure shows Popeye's as a stand alone building with a strip mall behind it.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:50 PM

Stonebridge cracks 11,000 people, becomes most populous Saskatoon neighbourhood

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
February 16, 2018

When Ken Byers and his wife moved to Stonebridge 11 years ago, the south Saskatoon neighbourhood was just starting to take shape.

“There were so many question marks when we first moved into Stonebridge as to what was going to be around us,” Byers said in an interview on Thursday. “It’s seen a remarkable growth in the last 10 years.”

Byers moved farther south within Stonebridge last summer and his current house is located near a storm water retention pond where he and his family enjoy kayaking and ride paddleboards.

Stonebridge was designed to become Saskatoon’s most populous neighbourhood. It achieved that status last year.

The City of Saskatoon’s annual neighbourhood profiles publication shows Stonebridge grew to 11,284 people in 2017, adding more than 4,000 residents in the last four years.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-neighbourhood

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post

Sad to see Keo's move off the lively Broadway strip, but I think it's enough of a destination that people would travel almost anywhere in the city to frequent them. I definitely will be.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Sad to see Keo's move off the lively Broadway strip, but I think it's enough of a destination that people would travel almost anywhere in the city to frequent them. I definitely will be.
It's long past time for the Broadway Shopping District to expand down to Taylor. This may be a tipping point. Getting some development on the SW corner of 8th and Broadway would be another big move as will an interesting re-use of the closing fire hall across from J.S. Wood.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook
what kind of renovations would SaskTel Centre need that would take more than half a year?
I'd like to see the remaining wedge A lower level and 24 & 37/36 upper level sections seats added.

PLUS have the roof raised and escalators/elevators added to make second level concourse the main/expanded concourse with more washrooms and concessions. The first floor concourse can remain unchanged with private suites extended all the way around the first level.

I'd also like to see a dedicated bus lane that would allow for direct access to SaskTel Centre directly from Yellowhead highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The Rush are the difficult party in potential Reno's. The Blades could move to the new arena at the University temporarily and be no worse for wear, but there's nowhere for the Rush.
Blades could play in U of S new arena for sure, I wonder if there would be an appetite for the Rush to play in Regina at Brandt Centre for a season & if that could add to more provincial interest?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
what kind of renovations would SaskTel Centre need that would take more than half a year?
I'd like to see the remaining wedge A lower level and 24 & 37/36 upper level sections seats added.

PLUS have the roof raised and escalators/elevators added to make second level concourse the main/expanded concourse with more washrooms and concessions. The first floor concourse can remain unchanged with private suites extended all the way around the first level.

I'd also like to see a dedicated bus lane that would allow for direct access to SaskTel Centre directly from Yellowhead highway.

Blades could play in U of S new arena for sure, I wonder if there would be an appetite for the Rush to play in Regina at Brandt Centre for a season & if that could add to more provincial interest?
Let’s do none of this and build a new arena that will spur economic activity in the city’s downtown core

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:29 AM

A downtown arena is clearly the right choice.

I suspect sometime in the 2022-2030 timeframe you'll see it built

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Let’s do none of this and build a new arena that will spur economic activity in the city’s downtown core
We should build a LRT while we're at it. Buses are lame.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Assuming everyone in Saskatoon isn't completely stupid & would only agree on building a new arena that is at least the same size or bigger than the current Sasktel Centre finished seating capacity of 16,000.

Roger Place 18,000 seat arena in Edmonton cost half a billion dollars to build.
Is each & every Saskatoon home owner in agreement to pay an extra $5000 in city tax to pay for a new equivalent/bigger arena downtown?

100,000 home owners in Saskatoon X $5000 = half a billion dollars

...or just have free BRT service between SaskTel Centre and Downtown during event days to spur economic growth downtown

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:14 PM

Weren't they talking about combining a new arena with convention center, this may make a difference. But then again i could be just stupid.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:43 PM

ź
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Assuming everyone in Saskatoon isn't completely stupid & would only agree on building a new arena that is at least the same size or bigger than the current Sasktel Centre finished seating capacity of 16,000.

Roger Place 18,000 seat arena in Edmonton cost half a billion dollars to build.
Is each & every Saskatoon home owner in agreement to pay an extra $5000 in city tax to pay for a new equivalent/bigger arena downtown?

100,000 home owners in Saskatoon X $5000 = half a billion dollars

...or just have free BRT service between SaskTel Centre and Downtown during event days to spur economic growth downtown
This is a good point. I have talked with my parents about this and they do not see the point. I however do but my parents havent been to Sasktel Center in over a decade they also dont see any point in ever going down town for anything. If they start putting money away now they wont need as much help or as big of a loan later. Lets remember this is probably at least a decade away and we are still growing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan