HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:10 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Rendering from the link!

The best thing about this building is that half the residents will have spectacular views of the Tower Life Building. Otherwise...

What's with all the mismatched line segments on the side? Ugh... ly.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:19 AM
PDD's Avatar
PDD PDD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The best thing about this building is that half the residents will have spectacular views of the Tower Life Building. Otherwise...

What's with all the mismatched line segments on the side? Ugh... ly.
Hopefully they'll implement some dazzling lights on that portion of the tower. Something similar to the Bank of America Plaza.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 12:58 PM
RyanfromTexas's Avatar
RyanfromTexas RyanfromTexas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
Came across this link today. The bottom of the page has a different rendering than what we've seen (although it's small) and some info on the amenities. As Fryguy said, hopefully we'll get some more solid info next week.

I admittedly don't know much about this site, but if the info on it is to be believed, it looks like they are aiming to begin construction by the end of the year.

https://rsreb-5.com/projects.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:27 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The best thing about this building is that half the residents will have spectacular views of the Tower Life Building. Otherwise...

What's with all the mismatched line segments on the side? Ugh... ly.
I'm pretty sure they're mismatched only because of the angle that is shown. If they were to strictly show a side shot they most likely are aligned.
EDIT: I thought the wall on the side was uneven, but looking at the second rendering it may just be the lines. Trying to add some interest to the otherwise empty wall?

As far as the design goes, if this really happens they are taking a pretty big risk with this kind of a project in SA, so would you really expect some architectural marvel? Austin has put up so many towers and few are worth a second look, but that's expected. As long as it's not an eyesore. Does anyone really like Marriott Rivercenter?

I would agree that it will block the view of the of Tower Life building from some angles which sucks. I always don't care for solid blank walls, and it looks white which seems to be trend. It will be interesting to see if any of these recent proposals actually end up getting built. If they all did there would be 4 white towers added to the skyline.

Last edited by kornbread; Sep 23, 2017 at 5:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 6:16 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I'm pretty sure they're mismatched only because of the angle that is shown. If they were to strictly show a side shot they most likely are aligned.
EDIT: I thought the wall on the side was uneven, but looking at the second rendering it may just be the lines. Trying to add some interest to the otherwise empty wall?

As far as the design goes, if this really happens they are taking a pretty big risk with this kind of a project in SA, so would you really expect some architectural marvel? Austin has put up so many towers and few are worth a second look, but that's expected. As long as it's not an eyesore. Does anyone really like Marriott Rivercenter?

I would agree that it will block the view of the of Tower Life building from some angles which sucks. I always don't care for solid blank walls, and it looks white which seems to be trend. It will be interesting to see if any of these recent proposals actually end up getting built. If they all did there would be 4 white towers added to the skyline.
Valid point.

No, I certainly don't like Marriott Rivercenter, but I do like Bank of America and Weston Center quite a lot, as well as The Towers at Park Lane... all similarly sized buildings in SA.

This building isn't the worst, but it's smack dab middle of the road right next to the best of the best in Tower Life. If it were a couple blocks farther away I wouldn't care so much. But such is life. At least it will add some needed height to SA's skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:26 PM
txex06 txex06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Hopefully they'll implement some dazzling lights on that portion of the tower. Something similar to the Bank of America Plaza.
Some horizontal lighting going up the building would look great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 10:55 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Valid point.

No, I certainly don't like Marriott Rivercenter, but I do like Bank of America and Weston Center quite a lot, as well as The Towers at Park Lane... all similarly sized buildings in SA.

This building isn't the worst, but it's smack dab middle of the road right next to the best of the best in Tower Life. If it were a couple blocks farther away I wouldn't care so much. But such is life. At least it will add some needed height to SA's skyline.
While I agree with your overall point, this is the trade off if we want to see more height and density DT. Some of the better looking buildings may get blocked from certain angles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:24 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,223
I guess maybe we should update and lower this one to 28 floors. I wonder what the design will look like without the garage.

Kinda wish they just added more apt or office floors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:09 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,437
I'll be kinda happy if there's a minor height decrease because, well... see my above post.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:23 PM
Dan In Real Life's Avatar
Dan In Real Life Dan In Real Life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 84
Here's some more info on the project, including info that they may get started as soon as this week:

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...ban-core-80149

The article has a link that says "28 story tower" but when you click on it the article it takes you to states that the building will be 30 stories.

All that to say - was it officially reported somewhere that the building will be lowered to 28? If it was I obviously missed it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:34 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
Here's some more info on the project, including info that they may get started as soon as this week:

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...ban-core-80149

The article has a link that says "28 story tower" but when you click on it the article it takes you to states that the building will be 30 stories.

All that to say - was it officially reported somewhere that the building will be lowered to 28? If it was I obviously missed it.
Yes, it was recently revealed they took the garage aspect outta the structure and buillding it somewhere else so that lowered the floor count.

Last edited by jaga185; Oct 13, 2017 at 4:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 11:42 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,386
Doesn't San Antonio's city government have a website that allows the public to review/view development documents on projects? If you can get a hold of the building elevations it'll show the building heights. It may even end up being taller than the media is stating since mechanical penthouses sometimes are omitted from building heights by developers since they're typically exempt from needing a request for more height variances. Of course, even after the site plan is released along with the building elevations minor changes can still be made that can affect building heights. I've seen it happen many times.
__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:16 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Can anyone confirm that they really have started demolition of site building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:28 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Don't get too excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'll be kinda happy if there's a minor height decrease because, well... see my above post.
Lowering floor count won't necessarily lower height, depending on if the lower floors get reconfigured to include higher ceilings, or as someone else mentioned, maybe they use those "extra" floors for more apts or office.

If they already have approval to build to a height, I don't see why they wouldn't.

BTW, has anyone seen a proposed height for this project? Floor count keeps changing, but not so sure about height.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:40 PM
SAtown SAtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanfromTexas View Post
Interesting that they're using EB-5 money to get this one built--that makes sense, since the rents Downtown don't really justify building this one quite yet. I believe they're using EB-5 money for the proposed hotel/condos across from the Tobin Center as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:45 PM
Dan In Real Life's Avatar
Dan In Real Life Dan In Real Life is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lost in Texas
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yes, it was recently revealed they took the garage aspect outta of the structure and buillding it somewhere else so that lowered the floor count.
I missed that announcement. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:31 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Lowering floor count won't necessarily lower height, depending on if the lower floors get reconfigured to include higher ceilings, or as someone else mentioned, maybe they use those "extra" floors for more apts or office.

If they already have approval to build to a height, I don't see why they wouldn't.

BTW, has anyone seen a proposed height for this project? Floor count keeps changing, but not so sure about height.
Emporia states it's going to be 417ft.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 8:35 PM
TSK18's Avatar
TSK18 TSK18 is offline
Registered User?
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Emporia states it's going to be 417ft.
Do you mean Emporis.com? As helpful as that website is, they're usually slow to update their facts. The Frost Tower is still listed as 400ft despite having its height lowered to 386ft months ago. 417ft might have been an accurate estimate when the JMJ design was 32 floors (Emporis still says it is), but given that the floor count has been lowered, its unlikely that the estimate is still relevant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:11 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
friends don't lie
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: the upside down
Posts: 49,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Emporia states it's going to be 417ft.
That height is only an estimate. I wouldn't go with it. I used to be an editor for San Antonio for Emporis, but I haven't touched it in years. I also don't think they have anyone representing San Antonio anymore, so it's unlikely they would have found a height for it. I wish that there was a way to review building plans through the city's website. I'd do it myself if there was. That's what I've done for Austin and I've been able to find building heights for every single highrise built since 1980 or so.

Renderings are also mostly useless to use as a means of estimating a height with much accuracy, which is likely what they did with that height. The height that we've always gone with for the Tower Life Building is 404 feet. In the rendering, the JMJ Towers seems to be a bit shorter than that since the cupola atop the Tower Life Building seems to be a bit higher than the roof of the JMJ Tower. What's more, the Tower Life Building is farther away from the camera than the JMJ Tower is, so the perspective should have made it appear even smaller (shorter) than the JMJ Tower. I would guess that the JMJ Tower is probably around 400 feet give or take a few feet.

__________________
In America, today, it's not that truth has lost, it's that political bias has been accepted as a legitimate answer to every issue one struggles with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:20 PM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSK18 View Post
Do you mean Emporis.com? As helpful as that website is, they're usually slow to update their facts. The Frost Tower is still listed as 400ft despite having its height lowered to 386ft months ago. 417ft might have been an accurate estimate when the JMJ design was 32 floors (Emporis still says it is), but given that the floor count has been lowered, its unlikely that the estimate is still relevant.
The height of the Frost may still be 400ft in the end. I am hearing that the Arts (Tobin Residences), similar to the Floodgate, may add one more floor due to demand. Clearly, it would seem SA downtown is finally realizing that slump buildings on prime Real estate is not the best financial objective, long term. I am hoping we see more and more and more, and that so our skyline will be compared to many other downtown cores under construction. The difference, when much of our buildings see completed, is that we will finally have one of the most diverse skylines ever. Old with new and new old with ultra modern (Frost Tower, which is a smaller version of the Bank of America NYC tower or One World Trade, it's structure and design and quality of its floor space are of similar comparison).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.