HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:41 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:30 AM

https://prosperitysaskatchewan.files...r-aug-2017.pdf

http://thestarphoenix.com/storyline/...ces-to-alberta

ShoreGold is located at 224 - 4th Avenue South, Saskatoon. Quite a sad day if they move their entire office to Alberta... I am guessing the lack of and high cost of flights / lack of focus on the mining industry at the U of S ergo a lack of local talent versus Alberta's current surplus is the reason. I personally would say that our University's lack of focus on junior mining has to be a differentiator when thinking about setting up shop in Edmonton versus Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:08 PM

This was way back 5 years ago but I know that the collage of engineering has plans for mining focused engineers and expanding the building into where Rutherford rink currently sits to accomidate.... they aslo need funding for that and I feel that they are way down the list.but isnt it just typical. Company really starts to get going and its sold to a bc company (like Claud resources) or moves outright. Your right this is a sad day if the vote goes through September 6th. This is frustrating for us all. Maybe we will get lucky and some companies from out of town will decide to move into River Landing. Huge loss still if it happens.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:35 PM

Anyone know what's going up on Lorne Ave. right by the Circle Dr. South exchange? I think it's in the old Yankee location--looks to be some sort of multi-unit two-story building perhaps.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Anyone know what's going up on Lorne Ave. right by the Circle Dr. South exchange? I think it's in the old Yankee location--looks to be some sort of multi-unit two-story building perhaps.
Sandman Hotel i believe

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Sandman Hotel i believe
Interesting spot for a hotel. Thanks for the info .

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 2:53 PM

I thought same thing, but I guess it has good proximity to events that happen at Prairieland Park and also Dakota Dunes golf course.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Those cities aren't really comparable to Saskatoon, though. A better comparison would be Winnipeg with the Jets and Moose, and even then the city is three times the size of ours.

I go to Western University in London, Ontario and their arena situation is what I think could really benefit Saskatoon. It has a capacity of less than the CUC in Saskatoon, however it is located in the heart of downtown and has a low ceiling which makes the building 'feel' full. The London Knights nearly sell out every single game and it creates a great atmosphere. They have a really nice park and skating rink located right near the arena and it is always being used in the winter.

I agree with others that having an NHL team in Saskatoon is an absolute pipe dream. However I would love to see us thrive with a similar downtown arena to London with the Rush, Blades, AHL etc. Market the WHL to younger families and local hockey teams while pushing the AHL to more 'hockey fans' who want to see upcoming NHL talent. The AHL is one of the best leagues in the world and most teams have many NHL-caliber talented players.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
I go to Western University in London, Ontario and their arena situation is what I think could really benefit Saskatoon. It has a capacity of less than the CUC in Saskatoon, however it is located in the heart of downtown and has a low ceiling which makes the building 'feel' full. The London Knights nearly sell out every single game and it creates a great atmosphere. They have a really nice park and skating rink located right near the arena and it is always being used in the winter.

I agree with others that having an NHL team in Saskatoon is an absolute pipe dream. However I would love to see us thrive with a similar downtown arena to London with the Rush, Blades, AHL etc. Market the WHL to younger families and local hockey teams while pushing the AHL to more 'hockey fans' who want to see upcoming NHL talent. The AHL is one of the best leagues in the world and most teams have many NHL-caliber talented players.
Can't see Saskatoon downsizing any new arena. I can't think of any "major" city in North America that really downsized when building a new arena. A few hundred seats, maybe a thousand but going from 15,000+ to a London size 9,500 seat arena would be a huge mistake.

Any new arena in Saskatoon needs to be around that 15,000+ seat for long term viability.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 9:52 PM

London's arena works since London is not trying to be a major centre for events. If we want major concerts and shows to come here, we need to have a large arena. I don't think 9500 would cut it.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 11:15 PM

I agree with 70 t0 100 events a year (including hockey WHL & NHL exhibition) and lacrosse some are probably because of the arena size,especially the concerts.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Can't see Saskatoon downsizing any new arena. I can't think of any "major" city in North America that really downsized when building a new arena. A few hundred seats, maybe a thousand but going from 15,000+ to a London size 9,500 seat arena would be a huge mistake.

Any new arena in Saskatoon needs to be around that 15,000+ seat for long term viability.
I agree in this is why a new arena in Saskatoon is extremely unlikely anytime soon. A NEW 15,000 plus seat Arena just cannot be justified on economics. This is particularly true when there is already an existing Arena that actually is quite serviceable. Mind you anything can happen. I was completely wrong about the Regina bypass being doable anytime soon.

A new Arena would probably require the main tenant, that is the Blades and to a lesser extent, the Rush, to contribute as much as eighty million dollars to the construction. Obviously that will never happen.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 9:48 PM

Things don't need to be viable to be built. Like the bypass or the stadium. Vanity projects will always happen in politics.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Things don't need to be viable to be built. Like the bypass or the stadium. Vanity projects will always happen in politics.
Less and less of them happening all the time. Name the last big vanity project in Saskatoon?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 12:30 PM

Well the art gallery isn't even done yet and that's a definition vanity project.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 7:08 PM

So do you believe that the art gallery didn't need to be built and that the old Mendel was good enough? Is that what you mean by vanity project?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 10:39 PM

The new gallery is not a vanity project in my eyes. I figured that would be your first option as a reply.

One can argue everything is a vanity project. The Children's Hospital, all bridges, the current arena. None are actually needed in the form or shape they are in....

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
https://prosperitysaskatchewan.files...r-aug-2017.pdf

http://thestarphoenix.com/storyline/...ces-to-alberta

ShoreGold is located at 224 - 4th Avenue South, Saskatoon. Quite a sad day if they move their entire office to Alberta... I am guessing the lack of and high cost of flights / lack of focus on the mining industry at the U of S ergo a lack of local talent versus Alberta's current surplus is the reason. I personally would say that our University's lack of focus on junior mining has to be a differentiator when thinking about setting up shop in Edmonton versus Saskatoon.
I have a hard time buying the argument that flights are the main reason. If Prince Albert is the main mine site, that area is better connected to Saskatoon than Edmonton.

Finding the people with the correct skills may be a more viable reason.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:03 AM

Well if it comes down to the right people for analyzing the kimberlite then i don/t think that is an issue either.

http://www.src.sk.ca/sites/default/f...le.pdf#page=37

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:14 AM

Here's an article on the lab itself, but maybe they want to move to Calgary for the NHL lol, they should stay in Saskatoon and watch a real game in the NLL.

http://www.src.sk.ca/blog/diamond-la...chewan-you-bet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan