HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Dredged up from April 2015, here is a post by Michael Ryerson showing the area in the background of that supposed New York sailor photo. The Brunswig annex prominent on the right, if I recall correctly, is the building that was actually turned sideways 90 degrees, so that it would fit in between New High Street and the newly-extended Spring Street.

This photo was taken slightly more north than the sailor photo, and as noted it was taken from atop the Broadway tunnel before it was demolished. So the sailor photo as was surmised earlier by GW was taken from the new Hill Street, in between the freeway and the Fort Moore Memorial.

From post 8032

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
My god, Guy Madison! I remember him from "Wild Bill Hickock"! Andy Devine: "Hey, Wild Bill! Wait for me!"

You can never have too much Guy Madison...although poor Gail Russell apparently couldn't get any....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Gail Russell made a number of movies in the 1940's and 1950's, including Angel and the Badman with John Wayne. However, she had a slight drinking problem:

On July 6, 1957, she drove her car through the front of Jan's Restaurant at 8424 Beverly Blvd. One of several alcohol related incidents.

...by August, 1961, the booze had killed poor Gail at age 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
A Certain Cinema

Like Phyllis Gates, poor Gail probably thought being married to Guy Madison would take all her cares away--how could it not? But having Henry Willson lurking in the background can only have driven her to hit the sauce even harder....

A Certain Cinema

Henry Willson, Diana Lynn, Guy Madison, Gail Russell. The hand on Gail's shoulder is a nice touch, Guy.

A Certain Cinema

Happier days...

A Certain Cinema

And the problem was exactly...?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:35 PM

A group of Sea Scouts ca. 1955 display various ways of wearing the iconic "dixie cup" cap, most with the proper "four square" roll:

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:25 PM

Photo I.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' location / mislabeled photograph?

The recent discussion on sailors made me think of this noirish photograph I happen upon a couple months ago.

It's attributed to the famous street photographer Garry Wynogrand [1950]

https://artblart.files.wordpress.com...32-008-web.jpg

Even though it's shrouded in fog, I believe the building in the far distance is the Post Office Terminal Annex down by Union Station.

But the majority of websites place the location as New York.

here's ArtBlart

https://artblart.com/tag/garry-winog...politan-opera/

while Slate has it simply labeled 'Sailor, 1950'.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20...ographers.html

and lastly, 'Rena Tobey' has it labeled New York, 1960. (wrong date too?)

http://www.renatobey.com/mesmerized/

Am I way off on this one....

or do you think there's a possibility this is Los Angeles? (it sure feels noirishly L.A. to me)

If it is Los Angeles, I'm still trying to figure out what bridge/viaduct the sailor is walking across.

__
Most everybody agrees this is Hill St. in L.A... I instantly recognized it as I often exited the 91 bus at this location to walk down to see my father at Parker Center. The Terminal Annex is a giveaway. While in the Navy in the early 60's I went a little farther on the bus to get off and walk down to the Grey Dog (Greyhound Terminal) to go back to S.D. at 1:00 in the morning, often was foggy like that. Never got mugged, amazing.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 7:25 PM

Someone used the phrase "OCD" here today, and I caught it. Anyway, here's the deal. I've decided that our sailor boy was photographed at the southwest corner of the freeway and Hill Street, not on the overpass itself. I've counted the number of lampposts from the north end of the east-side railing (and that about 14 railing verticals appear between each lamp in the sailor pic and in current views)... the freeway is streaming southeasterly/northwesterly below and behind our boy, with the Brunswig Building north of it.

In this view, the tree stands in for the sailor...

Just want to make sure we cross every t and dot every i so as to get the best champagne at Romanoffs

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 6, 2017 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:50 PM

OK. That's it. The future site of the Ft Moore Memorial was't working for me, but the above does.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Someone used the phrase "OCD" here today, and I caught it. Anyway, here's the deal. I've decided that our sailor boy was photographed at the southwest corner of the freeway and Hill Street, not on the overpass itself. I've counted the number of lampposts from the north end of the east-side railing (and that about 14 railing verticals appear between each lamp in the sailor pic and in current views)... the freeway is streaming southeasterly/northwesterly below and behind our boy, with the Brunswig Building north of it.
I'll see your OCD, GW and raise you this:

The lightning bolts indicate a metal expansion joint which is also visible on the original picture. So the sailor has just crossed over the overpass.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:11 PM

Good eye, Lorendoc...after adjusting the sailor's spot a little southward,

a modest monument proposal:

(In final form, to be rotated 90° with the image facing south)

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jan 6, 2017 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:29 PM

Here's another angle on the area (much enlarged detail of an image at http://framework.latimes.com/2013/09...center-images/ ):

LA Times

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 9:49 PM

Now everyone is charged with going to at least one site where this photo appears and, if there's a "comments" section, correcting the location. That'll keep us out of trouble and off the streets for an hour :-)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:03 PM

Since GW is in NYC, he should contact John Haber at The New York Photo Review.

http://www.nyphotoreview.com/NYPR_RE...R_REV3911.html

This discovery makes me wonder what else was on that particular roll of film.

__

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:40 PM

I actually just got from a museum friend here a contact at the SFMOMA, which as far as I can tell owns the image or is promised it or some such. Just sent an email about it & will keep the thread posted if I hear anything back. (Frankly, I'm not going to hold my breath. Firing off corrections to libraries etc has had only limited effect, I've found--understandable given volunteer staffs etc.)

Anyway, I'll see if I can find John Haber here.

PS Excellent illustration, odinthor

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:

It was the bit of fencing on the left that confused me. I thought it was blocking off a hillside. I didn't realize it blocked the 101 trench.

The west railing has been extended a bit south, I think (freeway widening?) as it is now a match for the east railing, unlike in the Winogrand photo.

Too bad that so many of the street lamps are missing. I guess they have better bulbs now (?)

gsv 2014

The horse is well and truly dead now, for me anyway.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 7, 2017 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Guy Madison was discovered by talent agent Henry Willson at a radio show taping in Hollywood. Guy was on leave from the Navy and in uniform.

Willson was known for his stable of young, attractive clients, including Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, Chad Everett, Robert Wagner, Nick Adams, Guy Madison, Troy Donahue, Mike Connors, Rory Calhoun, John Saxon, Clint Walker, Doug McClure, Dack Rambo, Ty Hardin, and John Derek. Noir?
Apparently Robert Moseley's new name was given to him by Henry--Guy (the "guy" girls would like to meet) and Madison (from a passing Dolly Madison cake truck). He apparently tried to give Tab Hunter the name Troy Donahue, but he eventually found someone else for that name:

I believe other clients were John Gavin and James Darren. Mike Connors, mentioned above, was first given the name Touch Connors. He's credited as that in a Joan Crawford film titled Sudden Fear. Three client names I'm not familiar with are Yale Summers, Rad Fulton and Race Gentry.

Quote:
You can never have too much Guy Madison...

True!

GW, the GM photos in your post are linked to A Certain Cinema...that was a trove of Hollywood photo shots in a dozen
or more categories, a film site founded by Sérgio Leemann, and two years ago, maybe even longer, there was some hosting
problem or something and the entire site unfortunately has disappeared, to my chagrin.

It was linked to a Facebook page where the entry says "We have a new website," but do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
My god, Guy Madison! I remember him from "Wild Bill Hickock"!
I never saw this series, but I saw some old commercials with him as the character selling Sugar Pops or some other cereal. (It wasn't muselix.)

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:15 PM

LAPL has been adding all sorts of new things as they digitize their Valley Times collection. While perusing, found some new images of a structure dear to my heart, the 1928 Dodd & Richards Sons of the Revolution HQ on Bunker Hill. We've seen the Hope Street structure before (read all about it here).

Photograph caption dated August 10, 1964 reads, "Joseph H. Jenkins, right, president of California State Society of Sons of the Revolution, points out cornerstone of Hope Street replica of Philadelphia's Independence Hall to society member. The building is threatened by the Bunker Hill renewal project." lapl

Photograph caption dated August 15, 1964 reads, "Hall to fall - Downtown Los Angeles replica of historic Philadelphia Independence Hall is doomed by urban renewal plans. And the city's Cultural Heritage Board sees no reason why not." lapl

The SotR library is one of the handful of Bunker Hill structures that made it into 1969—its demolition permit issued in January. Other stragglers include the fabled Stuart K Oliver house nearby, and the Hotel Northern, of course the ill-fated Castle and Salt Box were up on blocks, and the Belmont Hotel made it all the way till '71.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:16 PM

Lorendoc, thanks for finding the locations of the 1970s color slides I posted last night.

Did ya'll notice how the stone chimney was removed from the house (and replaced with gang graffiti )

3rd & Breed

and the front porch was enclosed

ebay/gsv detail

The graffiti covered house (red circle on roof) is but a few hundred feet from the Breed Street Elementary School.

google_earth

Here's a glance back in time:

Students and two teachers at Breed Street School, 1891.

http://boyleheightshistoryblog.blogs...e-heights.html

"Breed Street School in Boyle Heights might just be the oldest continuously operating elementary school in the city of Los Angeles.
The school began sometime in the 1870s as simply Boyle Heights School, though there isn't much information out there about those early days.

An 1880 history of Los Angeles County, for example, merely noted that "Boyle Heights has but one school and one department," this latter meaning
there were no divisions and all grade levels were located in a single classroom with one teacher.

In June 1883, the Los Angeles Times devoted significant space to the end of school year activities among the city's public schools, but noted that none
of the reporting staff attended the festivities at the Boyle Heights School."

Well that stinks, why didn't they attend the festivities at Boyle Heights?

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:34 PM

NLA is making its mark. I just spent twenty minutes wandering around online posting two or three corrections of the location of the sailor pic, and a moment ago ran across a comment posted today by what must be one of our colleagues here. Yay for LA and NLA!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Since GW is in NYC, he should contact John Haber at The New York Photo Review.

http://www.nyphotoreview.com/NYPR_RE...R_REV3911.html

This discovery makes me wonder what else was on that particular roll of film.

__
I'm sure it was the sailor showing us how his pants were constructed.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 11:41 PM

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
...found some new images of a structure dear to my heart, the 1928 Dodd & Richards Sons of the Revolution HQ on Bunker Hill.
Thank you Beaudry, those pix are dreamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
"...Hope Street replica of Philadelphia's Independence Hall..."
I finally looked that up. SotR was a homage to a detail of Independence Hall

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 6, 2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I finally looked that up. SotR was a homage to a detail of Independence Hall
I didn't realize it either. thx Beaudry & t2.

A 'homage' yes, a 'replica' no.

Made me think of this thing down in Anaheim.

Knotts http://www.yesterland.com/independence.html

Dedication day on July 4, 1966 (my 6th birthday )

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 7, 2017 at 12:26 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos