HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 4:49 AM

They should drop the "Place" and have it be named Opus.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
They should drop the "Place" and have it be named Opus.
I agree. Plus, this sits on a high spot on 14th street which will make it look even taller....

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:34 PM

Modera Midtown, NCR headquarters, and Hanover West Peachtree.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:48 PM

Crane going up at lilli http://a67.tinypic.com/2w5q2yb.jpg

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 5:20 PM

Midtown’s iconic peach-topped building could be SCAD dorm.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/18...peachtree-scad
According to a source, the Savannah College of Art and Design — whose Atlanta campus sits across the street — could potentially be eyeing the building for new dormitory space.While work in May on the building turned out to be no more than a cell tower replacement, our tipster indicates the school has gone so far as to engage design services for the building.
Still, according to property records, SCAD is not the owner of the building yet, meaning the proposal could be nothing more than a pie-in-the-sky desire.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:11 PM

880 West Peachtree

Awful lot of moving trucks at the Drew Eckl & Farnham building

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:36 PM

lilli crane is up

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 10:43 PM

2017 could be a huge year for this part of Midtown. Lilli, Hanover Midtown, Eviva, 880 Peachtree, Coda, The Standard, and NCR Phase II. All within a few blocks of one another. Quite the buzz going on.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
2017 could be a huge year for this part of Midtown. Lilli, Hanover Midtown, Eviva, 880 Peachtree, Coda, The Standard, and NCR Phase II. All within a few blocks of one another. Quite the buzz going on.
+Opus

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
+Opus
Not really "this part of Midtown" like the others he listed.

I'm really excited for Opus though, even if I'm a bit skeptical.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Crane going up at lilli http://a67.tinypic.com/2w5q2yb.jpg
Now this is downright exciting!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:54 AM

Was expecting lilli's crane to be like the one for Yoo.

I understand the skepticism around Opus. I mean, there are other cities I'd expect to get a 900' condo tower before Atlanta, but Atlanta is growing like crazy and adding thousands of premium jobs. Empty nest retirees are moving intown, which is a relatively new phenomenon. Furthermore, this building was designed to be a landmark. It's going to be second only to BOA Plaza as the most conspicuous structure on the skyline. That's exciting in a way that projects such as Seventh and OMP aren't, and could drive sales. And they've lined up an impressive team behind the project. It has a good chance, I think. Maybe foreign investors will take notice and buy in like they do in NYC, Miami, LA, etc.

Last edited by Pemgin; Nov 19, 2016 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:13 PM

Regarding Opus, you have a lot of wealthy celebrities and movie execs now flying in and out of Atlanta to film and maybe it will appeal to them as their home base in the city? It the developers are smart they'll advertise the building in the NYTimes and papers like Variety and the Hollywood Reporter.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I agree completely. I think with the "planned" closing of the Peachtree-Pine shelter (tough issue I know) this area could become like north Midtown in time and certainly MUCH more lively in a few years. Lilli is exciting to me (and possibly Eviva) because it's such an amazing design unlike anything we have seen in Atlanta.

Opus would be a game changer too - and our skyline needs a refresher at that magnitude.

Just hope we weather the next recession ok....as we'll likely see one sooner than later if history holds.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 5:59 PM

Quote:
lilli crane is up
Funny I was just about to post almost that exact same picture, from the same exact spot. That's the steps of the building where my office is.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:17 PM

Quote:
I agree completely. I think with the "planned" closing of the Peachtree-Pine shelter (tough issue I know) this area could become like north Midtown in time and certainly MUCH more lively in a few years. Lilli is exciting to me (and possibly Eviva) because it's such an amazing design unlike anything we have seen in Atlanta.
I'd argue that the shelter is more of a Downtown problem. The southern part of Midtown is bustling; there seems to be more pedestrian activity between 10th and Ponce there than anywhere else in the neighborhood. North of that, Spring is mostly vacant and there isn't much retail on Peachtree. Of course that's changing as we speak, but for now if you looked at a heat map of activity you'd probably see most of it concentrated in the southern half. I consider projects like Hanover and lilli to be polish at this point, and things like Coda are really just an extension of Tech Square. The projects in the northern half are truly transformative, though... it's a bit of a ghost town now but in a few years it sould be as active as the areas farther south.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 7:39 PM
BANNED

200 Room Hotel and 300 Condos - 274 Boulevard Ave (O4W)

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...67894?rt=31157

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropundit View Post

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/11/18...peachtree-scad
According to a source, the Savannah College of Art and Design — whose Atlanta campus sits across the street — could potentially be eyeing the building for new dormitory space.While work in May on the building turned out to be no more than a cell tower replacement, our tipster indicates the school has gone so far as to engage design services for the building.
Still, according to property records, SCAD is not the owner of the building yet, meaning the proposal could be nothing more than a pie-in-the-sky desire.
It will sure be nice to see this site improved. Even under the most dystopian standards, this has to be one of the ugliest creations ever.

Did any architect or developer ever think that looked sharp? Not much to look at on the inside either.

And it's one of the most high profile spots in the city.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
I'd argue that the shelter is more of a Downtown problem. The southern part of Midtown is bustling; there seems to be more pedestrian activity between 10th and Ponce there than anywhere else in the neighborhood. North of that, Spring is mostly vacant and there isn't much retail on Peachtree. Of course that's changing as we speak, but for now if you looked at a heat map of activity you'd probably see most of it concentrated in the southern half. I consider projects like Hanover and lilli to be polish at this point, and things like Coda are really just an extension of Tech Square. The projects in the northern half are truly transformative, though... it's a bit of a ghost town now but in a few years it sould be as active as the areas farther south.

I should have clarified what I meant by south Midtown...which is south of 6th down to Emory/Crawford Long and the Connector. There is not alot of pedestrian activity in the evenings south of 5th to North unless the Fox is having a show. I think Lillii will change this some and hopefully also bring more residential down that stretch.

Midtown between 6th and 17th is definitely bustling!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It will sure be nice to see this site improved. Even under the most dystopian standards, this has to be one of the ugliest creations ever.

Did any architect or developer ever think that looked sharp? Not much to look at on the inside either.

And it's one of the most high profile spots in the city.
I think being in the hands of SCAD is the best we can hope for with this fortress. If anyone can do something transformative with this thing, they can.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations