HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:23 PM

Georgia Tech Dorm Facility: Selig Enterprises

Nice Rendering, but the building still seems like a "hodge-podge" of disconnected elements.

I am not so sure this design will age well given the fact that it's quirky design elements are somewhat structural and not necessarily cosmetic – which is not an easy fix down the road when updates are warranted.

Even though the color scheme may be a nod to Georgia Tech, it would seem like a subtle approach would be in order here so it doesn’t appear so disjointed or haphazard.

I think I would take the design more seriously if they decided on a more refined color scheme.

Just note the existing GaTech buildings in midtown that are a balance of good design with an appropriate hint of school affiliation all presented in a more timeless package.

I am all for pushing the “envelope” of good design [ emphasis on – good ], but I wish it was a facility that looked like it was geared more towards students of higher education and not kindergarteners – especially in midtown.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Nice Rendering, but the building still seems like a "hodge-podge" of disconnected elements.

I am not so sure this design will age well given the fact that it's quirky design elements are somewhat structural and not necessarily cosmetic – which is not an easy fix down the road when updates are warranted.

Even though the color scheme may be a nod to Georgia Tech, it would seem like a subtle approach would be in order here so it doesn’t appear so disjointed or haphazard.

I think I would take the design more seriously if they decided on a more refined color scheme.

Just note the existing GaTech buildings in midtown that are a balance of good design with an appropriate hint of school affiliation all presented in a more timeless package.

I am all for pushing the “envelope” of good design [ emphasis on – good ], but I wish it was a facility that looked like it was geared more towards students of higher education and not kindergarteners – especially in midtown.

I think it looks awesome and I am happy to see that it is not just another all glass/stucco rectangle. Very modern looking in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:37 PM

The Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I think it looks awesome and I am happy to see that it is not just another all glass/stucco rectangle. Very modern looking in my opinion.
Maybe it's the color scheme that's throwing me off. Like to see a version without the splotches of color to see what it looks like in it's pure form.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Wow! This is looks to be an awesome development for the area! Should help connect the developments around Shops of Buckhead to those around Roswell and East Andrews. I also think the traffic light for the new development and the Gramercy across the street is much needed. Cars fly down that road. I have never felt safe walking up/down it. Density in this area may have blown past O4W, except it doesn't necessarily feel it due to lack of parks and places to walk to or lack of nearby residential neighborhoods within walking proximity compared to the neighborhoods along the EST. Still awesome growth for Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:11 PM

Eden Rock Real Estate Partners are moving forward with a commercial development on the Westside (Riverside). Essentially a strip mall. Sigh.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:14 PM

I posted this in a another forum, but I really think the area could benefit from having some type of automatic people mover covering the red line in this photo. It would be nice if something like this could one day be incorporated into the overall capping project.

I commute daily to this area via Marta and it's such an awful pedestrian experience. You're basically zig-zagging around parking decks, forests, disjointed sidewalks, and intersections (lenox rd.) that are wider than highways. The Buckhead Marta station has been getting busier and busier and will continue to do so.

Good urbanism would be better than taking people off of the streets, but I fear Buckhead's super blocks may be beyond repair in that regard.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:25 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Correct. Reject projects that are settling and start demanding projects that set a precedent for the city. We know that the full cap will would recoup the costs even is it was double the price, this is Buckhead. Stop making excuses for half ass work, because you end up with a half ass city and you're the one who has to live in it.
The only thing I don't like is the ugly pine trees...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:40 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 3:41 PM

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/local...tlanta-/nsTp7/
Fortune 500 Honeywell said to be planning major metro Atlanta expansion
Quote:
Gov. Nathan Deal’s office has scheduled a news conference Monday at the State Capitol where Deal and the company are expected to announce the project. The state Department of Economic Development declined to comment on the matter.

The project, said to involve a technology or software development center, is expected to create several hundred high-paying jobs. It was not immediately known if Honeywell has picked a location for the center.
Would be a perfect fit for Tech Square.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 4:10 PM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I hope they don't tear it down...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The article says that after the foreclosure the sale to a developer was blocked. I thought the sale to Ichtus Community Trust did, in fact, go through in 2011. The Task Force has not being paying them rent ever since.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:52 PM

Another massive development inching forward; High Street filed pre-development permits and is going before community groups

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...ment-dunwoody/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:19 PM

[QUOTE=Good urbanism would be better than taking people off of the streets, but I fear Buckhead's super blocks may be beyond repair in that regard.[/QUOTE]

Buckhead can never be a true urban experience in my opinion. Victim of absolutely dreadful planning.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Seriously, this is a great start! And as far as the air pollution, that would mean none of the development around NCR, Tech Square, Plaza Midtown, etc. should be built. Hence, the air pollution there is worse than the Ga. 400 park area.
There's a difference between spending your time inside a building near a major roadway and spending your time in a park near one. Most air quality research shows that indoor air quality can be many times better than outdoor. It's not a great idea to exercise or hang out near a freeway outdoors. A half-cap allows the worst of the noise and car/truck emissions to spread into the park.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
I hope they don't tear it down...
It's a beautiful building...I would hope that it will remain intact, but you never really know. It would be a real shame to lose this one. Atlanta has a good recent track record for saving historic buildings so it should at least have a chance.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Buckhead can never be a true urban experience in my opinion. Victim of absolutely dreadful planning.
You're probably right about a "true urban experience", but certain areas of Buckhead could see some improvement in the pedestrian experience. I don't think it's a total lost cause...miracles can happen over a decade or two.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Its an interesting building-- but those gold (yellow) spots are well... yellow spots--

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Its an interesting building-- but those gold (yellow) spots are well... yellow spots--
At least it won't look like University House. That finished facade is absolutely terrible. The white and glass of the standard I think will complement Coda. Not sold either way on the yellow yet, but don't think it will be bad. Sort of reminds me of drizzling honey. Yes, yes, I know yellow jackets are not honey bees.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Eden Rock Real Estate Partners are moving forward with a commercial development on the Westside (Riverside). Essentially a strip mall. Sigh.
I live adjacent to this neighborhood (this is technically in the Bolton neighborhood), and while this isn't anything fantastically urban, they are repurposing a currently empty industrial building, empty church, and adding a stoplight, turn lane, and additional ingress/egress into this neighborhood.

It would be nice to see less parking, or at least have it pushed to the rear, but the building is currently already backed up into the lot line.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 6:33 AM

the cap is pretty good considering most of the stretch isn't below grade. People remember the tunnels but tend to forget that if you look east it's at grade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations