HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 10:07 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
A church that would still be used, yet it's torn down?!? What a crime.

I understand that they can't all be saved (now that no one goes to church anymore, and considering the sheer amount of these buildings out there) but if this one was actually used, surely they could've found a way to save it, had they wanted to.
A little sad but, really a crime? It's just a church; at modest one at that.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:01 PM
New Brunswick booster!

New York City lost Penn Station in the 1960s. It's loss has been lamented ever since. Many call it one of the worst losses for New York architecture ever. What would be its equivalent in terms of loss in Toronto or Montreal?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
New York City lost Penn Station in the 1960s. It's loss has been lamented ever since. Many call it one of the worst losses for New York architecture ever. What would be its equivalent in terms of loss in Toronto or Montreal?
Losing Penn Station was a tragedy since it was basically the magnum opus of one of the most storied architecture firms in American history, McKim Mead & White, and the most ornate railway station on the continent, if not the world.

Toronto did not suffer a loss nearly as bad; the equivalent would be if they tore down Union station or Old City Hall (both of which were contemplated) or if they flattened all the buildings of King's College Circle at U of T.

For me, the biggest loss for Toronto was the demolition of two blocks of high Victorian commercial buildings in the triangle bounded by Yonge, Wellington Front and Church. Only the iconic Flatiron building remains. The site was a parking lot for at least two decades, so I wonder what the reason for tearing this area down was.

Some of the buildings lost in that demolition:

Toronto Board of Trade building:

The buildings behind the Flatiron building. Some of them had cast iron facades reminiscent of New York's SoHo:

The aftermath, as seen in the area's nadir in the 1970s:

Luckily the area rebounded in the early 1980s with the development of one of the first urban-focused condominium projects in Toronto, if not Canada, Market Square:

A more contemporary view of the area shows that many of the missing teeth have been filled in:

Right now the area where the buildings in the second photo once stood is Berczy Park, which is being rebuilt to look like this:

This is all wonderful. Still, wouldn't it be grand to have all these streetscape improvements and retain two intact blocks of gilded age Victorian commercial blocks?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:40 PM

The city should have stepped in and bought it. Just think of the creative uses that church could have been used for. Hamilton's downtown is sure to see a massive revival in the coming years when the LRT nears completion. That would have made for a nice restaurant, bar, or Library. It's sad that nobody even wanted to save the windows. I'm surprised the demo crew doesn't seem to care about the value they might hold. What a lost opportunity.

Posted on: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:53 PM

If those are Toronto's worst heritage losses, then Toronto can't complain. For a city of that size, that's next to nothing.

Here are some of Winnipeg's big losses:

St. Boniface Cathedral, lost to fire:

Manitoba Hotel, lost to fire in 1899

The rest lost to demolition/redevelopment:

Eaton's

CPR Royal Alexandra Hotel

This entire block

Old Post Office

Old St. Paul's College downtown

Perhaps the most infamous lost heritage building of them all, old City Hall

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Perhaps the most infamous lost heritage building of them all, old City Hall
Wow. Destroying that was a big mistake.

Was the design here in any way a nod to Eastern European ecclesiastical architecture? I know Albert and Saskatchewan have a fairly big Ukrainian and other Eastern European population; not sure about Manitoba.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 12:22 AM

Hamilton's All Saints Anglican Church is gone...

All Saints Anglican Church Demolition | 8/27/2016 by Joe, on Flickr

And now four blocks west of All Saints, these five homes...

source

Google Street View

are coming down...

House Demolition - Main & Margaret | 8/27/2016 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This entire block
hipster duck's two commercial blocks in Toronto is a worse loss than this (which is the worst loss on your list).

(Given the cities' sizes, it's normal for Toronto's worst losses to be worse than Winnipeg's worst losses. Hamilton is doing really bad per capita though if this thread is any indication.)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 6:41 PM

The last bit of the Bonaventure expressway coming down this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJp8NPXg...agged=montreal

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The city should have stepped in and bought it. Just think of the creative uses that church could have been used for. Hamilton's downtown is sure to see a massive revival in the coming years when the LRT nears completion. That would have made for a nice restaurant, bar, or Library. It's sad that nobody even wanted to save the windows. I'm surprised the demo crew doesn't seem to care about the value they might hold. What a lost opportunity.
I passed in front of this one yesterday and it did remind me that in addition to commercial or public/institutional conversions, it's possible to turn them into housing rather than demolish them:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.51102...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I know CN is an evil bastard of a company
I think it's because CN is government-owned (at least the last time I checked).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormkingfan View Post
I think it's because CN is government-owned (at least the last time I checked).
CN was privatized in 1995.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 4:46 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Losing Penn Station was a tragedy since it was basically the magnum opus of one of the most storied architecture firms in American history, McKim Mead & White, and the most ornate railway station on the continent, if not the world.

Toronto did not suffer a loss nearly as bad; the equivalent would be if they tore down Union station or Old City Hall (both of which were contemplated) or if they flattened all the buildings of King's College Circle at U of T.

For me, the biggest loss for Toronto was the demolition of two blocks of high Victorian commercial buildings in the triangle bounded by Yonge, Wellington Front and Church. Only the iconic Flatiron building remains. The site was a parking lot for at least two decades, so I wonder what the reason for tearing this area down was.

Some of the buildings lost in that demolition:

Toronto Board of Trade building:

Personally, I never cared for the Board of Trade building.

That said,

By Harvey Naylor [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

I would say the sooty condition had a lot to do with urban renewal

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 4:52 PM

^Yes, that was almost always the case: the building looked grimy and decayed from years of negligence. Even today, great buildings come down because they're missing a cornice or the porch has been sawed off or decorative window arches were long since replaced. That's why I find slathering EIFS on historic buildings to be so offensive. It's not just that it makes the building look like shit today, it's because the material gathers dirt and grime very easily while hiding any semblance of architectural flourish. It'll look really bad in 30 years, and it'll persuade many people to just tear the buildings down rather than to spend the time and money exposing the original brick and renovating it to its original glory.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post

Posted on: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

The city is the one that demolished it in the first place. They bought up a bunch of land and levelled the blocks for a fanciful "Canadian centennial" district with theatres and other uses. The only part that actually got built was the Sony Centre and the St Lawrence centre for the arts.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 1:29 AM

Vancouver may soon see its biggest demolition ever if the surprise plan to demolish the 380 feet and 40 floors tall Empire Landmark Hotel (built in 1973) gets the go-ahead. While the tower could use some exterior renovation it should still not be allowed to be demolished as the plan calls for replacing it with two shorter and complete mediocre condo towers.

The tower has one of Vancouver's only two revolving restaurants at its top.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 1:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ I totally agree that it should not be demolished. The city needs some intrinsic standards to preserve identity, not just what seems cost effective at any given time. Much of real value has been lost already, and people can sense the disregard here; it seems to be a built in flaw.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 2:00 AM
Look at me!

Wow, did Chinese students buy it or something?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 2:16 AM

It's stupid because almost anything else around it could very well be torn down and would not be missed (save for that red tower, which is unique). There is even a completely empty lot right across street from the hotel with nothing going on.

Completely crazy and greedy plan to cash in on the boom. I hope the city hall has some brains to say no. It's not even ecological/green to demolish a 40-floor tower!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 6:13 PM

Here's what they are planning to replace the hotel tower with.

From: https://changingcitybook.com/2016/09...robson-street/[/QUOTE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada