HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
About that. Do you guys really want me to add that? I can only think of a handful of projects.

While Adaptive reuse would be a big addition I can only think of the regional connector as the only transit actually being built, with the streetcar under proposed. For the parks I can only think of the arts district park but beyond that we have the proposals for Pershing, the Broadway civic park, and the park in the middle of Hope St. I just figured there wasn't a sufficient number of projects to be their own section.
I would argue that transit and parks are even more important than individual buildings for revitalizing DTLA. I know we here are all aware of them but I think the forum is a great way to inform the wider public who may not be aware of all the changes.

Regardless, I think we all agree on the need for a section on adaptive reuse / renovation!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:26 PM

Kenchiku desu

The old building isn't hurting anything and adds to the fabric of the place. I agree, without those junkers interspersed, we would have sterility.

801 S. Olive curtainwall is a bit too dark -- but elegantly detailed -- as would be expected from the firm that designed it, SCB. Nice job!

I agree with you about the idea of enriching the urban fabric. Southpark was for the most part historically lowrise and functioned to serve warehousing needs, with a few taller buildings punctuating major intersections. Thankfully, many of those buildings still exist, especially the node of buildings around 11th and Broadway which will serve as the activity endpoint of south Broadway. Actually, if you look at historic photos there was another 12 to 13 storied building just south of the Hearst building which was razed for part the Occidental center (see how old I am--I still remember the sign atop the tower).
Thankfully, much of downtown does have interesting "fabric fillers" that are surrounded by soon to be developed parking lots. But the two storied SRO is not historically or architecturally significant and without sounding like a snob, how could Onni possibly hope to sell or rent such high end units with an SRO next door. I think that this building will come down at some point or be turned into creative space. Incidentally, someone mentioned warehouses as being subject to replacement. Yes, in time their economic lifespan will be ended, but in the meantime there are some very charming ones which line a few blocks along Flower and Hope between Pico and the 10 fwy. Between now and their ultimate end they would make for interesting infill, with uses such as shops, small offices, etc. But, as I say, once the parking lots have been filled these too will one day come down

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Thankfully, much of downtown does have interesting "fabric fillers" that are surrounded by soon to be developed parking lots. But the two storied SRO is not historically or architecturally significant and without sounding like a snob, how could Onni possibly hope to sell or rent such high end units with an SRO next door. I think that this building will come down at some point or be turned into creative space. Incidentally, someone mentioned warehouses as being subject to replacement. Yes, in time their economic lifespan will be ended, but in the meantime there are some very charming ones which line a few blocks along Flower and Hope between Pico and the 10 fwy. Between now and their ultimate end they would make for interesting infill, with uses such as shops, small offices, etc. But, as I say, once the parking lots have been filled these too will one day come down
It is a strange marriage, since Modern Times Beer is setting up shop in the ground floor of that SRO (according to sources on the DTLA Dev FB page). I was surprised that the city allows alcohol sales in a SRO, where I would assume some of the tenants may be suffering from substance abuse problems.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:37 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ There was a big fight on the same topic on 5th and Main when Great Balls on Tires tried to open their restaurant in the SRO there (the name escapes me). The restaurant owner - whom I happen to know - initially lost the request to serve full bar there, but then appealed and ultimately won.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ There was a big fight on the same topic on 5th and Main when Great Balls on Tires tried to open their restaurant in the SRO there (the name escapes me). The restaurant owner - whom I happen to know - initially lost the request to serve full bar there, but then appealed and ultimately won.
Any word on when hes opening? its been stagnant for so long?

Also, the Merrit building on 8th and Broadway is for sale now and the owners of the Globe building across the street has notified the ground floor tenants need to vacate asap and apparently some work has started inside the building to convert to a boutique hotel or apartments (ive heard both so not sure which one)

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
It is a strange marriage, since Modern Times Beer is setting up shop in the ground floor of that SRO (according to sources on the DTLA Dev FB page). I was surprised that the city allows alcohol sales in a SRO, where I would assume some of the tenants may be suffering from substance abuse problems.
More like a surreal marriage.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 8:03 PM

Skyspace Observation deck on US Bank opens June 25, 2016.. Tickets on sale March 18th

https://www.skyspace-la.com/tickets/

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 11:14 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Macy's Center

Macy's Center

Last edited by a9l8e7n; Mar 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 12:34 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

a9l8e7n, your images aren't showing up because they don't have the file name in them. Your links should end with a .jpg or a .png or some other web safe image file. Might want to check your Google settings first before posting.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 12:35 AM

So it seems the Stationers tower might not be dead after all. Brady Westwater and Josh Albrektson got in touch with the Hellen team and this is what was said. Take this with a grain of salt because it could be 4 years out.. Thoughts?

Quote:
I finally had time to speak with the Helen's crew about the Stationary Building, and as I said I had thought - they never had any intention of canceling the project.
They also just received the altered plans for the lower part of the building and are reviewing them this afternoon. And their goal is to still have a contemporary building but one that addresses the existing buildings - even though they would prefer the original plan.
I might add they did know know the community was behind their design and I offered to help host a public review of the plans so the community can voice their opinion/support and they want to do that. So I will keep everyone informed on that,
On the bad news side, one expediter is now telling new clients to budget 3 1/2 to 4 years to get a building permit. Granted, that is something of a worst case scenario - but still.... that could easily be after the end of the current cycle

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
So it seems the Stationers tower might not be dead after all. Brady Westwater and Josh Albrektson got in touch with the Hellen team and this is what was said. Take this with a grain of salt because it could be 4 years out.. Thoughts?
How are Brady & Josh connected to the project?

I trust Simon Ha - architect of the project and prominent DTLA urban land use council member. His quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Don't get mad at me or blame SSP. This is in the latest DTNews update update:

"SPRING STREET APARTMENTS: Plans from developer Joseph Hellen for a 40-story residential tower at 525 S. Spring St. have stalled following disagreements between Hellen and the city on the high-rise’s design. The Historic Core structure would have had about 360 one- to three-bedroom residences, but its sleek, modern facade was a point of contention for the city Office of Historic Resources, said Simon Ha, a principal at Steinberg Architects who had been working on the project. Faced with the prospect of significant changes to implement more historical features into the design, Hellen has chosen not to move forward, Ha said. He added that it is unclear if Hellen will come back with a new design later. The plan also included the reactivation of three small theaters, the Roxie, Cameo and Arcade, that front Broadway."

http://m.ladowntownnews.com/developm....html?mode=jqm

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:26 AM

New Hampshire and 8th

Untitled by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand almost looks taller than U.S. bank from Macarthur Park. Pretty Cool

Glass on podium

Entrance glass

St. Vibiana

Topaz

Frankentower

50 story and 33 story

Last Olympic shitbox other than Palmer's

These two grew a lot in a month

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:36 AM

Excellent update! How was oceanwide progressing??

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Excellent update! How was oceanwide progressing??
Well they can't work weekends, only mon-fri 7-7 because of their proximity to existing residential buildings, so there was nobody on site. Still they seem to be working at the same adequate pace they have for about a month now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Also, the Merrit building on 8th and Broadway is for sale now and the owners of the Globe building across the street has notified the ground floor tenants need to vacate asap and apparently some work has started inside the building to convert to a boutique hotel or apartments (ive heard both so not sure which one)
what a relief!!!...& not a day too soon!

that a once beautiful bldg like the Merrit has been allowed to be in shambles for so many decades is one of the major tragedies of dtla. that all the horrible swapmeets in the globe bldg have managed to hang on for decades is another disgrace. It's properties like those that have made all the talk about the few nice, newer businesses on broadway hurting for customers even more exasperating.

ladowntownnews.com, Gary Leonard

you-are-here.com

A few of the previous posts are puzzling to me....I don't know what's more of a head scratcher: ppl feeling the warm fuzzies for forgettable, rundown small bldgs like the SRO between the 2 onni towers or judging the eastern columbia bldg.....even more so since its restoration....as so below that of a masterpiece, it could disappear & not be missed.

If dt originally had more properties like the eastern columbia & far fewer, or none, of the small, indistinguishable masonry bldgs like the one on olive st between 8th & 9th, dtla wouldn't have suffered such an image problem going back a looong time. It must be remembered that Dtla once was wall to wall with short SRO type bldgs, perhaps the TCAs or gh palmers of their time...except put together with even lower budgets & generally aimed at even less well off ppl, & today quite vulnerable to earthquakes.....& back then, & extending well through the 1980s, almost no one was shouting hallelujahs for dtla.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:18 AM

Now if we could only do something with that hideous blue jeans building on Broadway.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Now if we could only do something with that hideous blue jeans building on Broadway.
If you clean it up it'd actually be kind of cool.

I'm shooting aerials tomorrow - let me know if anyone wants anything specific

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

Thank you for the offer: not sure if you're heading north, but would love to see Chinatown action. Blossom Plaza? The big park? Has the smaller park in the center of Chinatown begun yet?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

Exactly! That's why I didn't specifically say to demolish it. But I wonder if it still looks like this underneath:

Anyway, it would be cool to see some views of Ten50. I see KingKillEm posted some but some more wouldn't hurt since they started putting glass on the "boxes".

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:06 AM

DTLAexplorer reports: "They are putting a glass slide attraction at the top of the US Bank building in DTLA. When the OUE Skyspace observation deck opens in June, there will also be Skyslide, an outdoor glass slide 1,000 feet above Los Angeles. The slide will be made of clear glass that measures 1.25″ thick, and extends from the building’s 70th floor down to the 69th floor’s outside observation level. The ride on the slide will be 45 feet long. Tickets to ride the slide will cost an additional $8 and will be sold in timed intervals. Take a look at these renderings of the Skyslide."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations