HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's a hastle to now have to schedule my car trips. "Okay tomorrow I have a meeting I need to drive to. Make sure GF doesn't need the car, so I can take it with me. Make sure to expense my $10 parking fees. Drive to never never land for the meeting. Etc."
Have you (or your company) considered becoming a Peg City Car Co-op Member? There's six cars to choose from in the downtown area. Depending on where you work it might even be more convenient than where you currently park.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:50 PM

You guys are naive. Most companies are expanding not just relocating and the hotel is going to be new to winnipeg thier going up announce anchor tennant within couple weeks your making assumptions and call me young check your facts the city is growing new companies are starting up all the time and were attracting new ones too winnipeg has cheap office and hydro costs don't put it past chipmans they know what thier doing.. They dont go into business if they don't think it's feasible

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
they did state that they have 6 major parties involved right?
1. MPI
2. The currently unnamed hotel.
3. True North Sports and Entertainment
4. Longboat
5. Ticketmaster
6. Birchwood Auto Group

I am not saying those are the six "major parties" but that list gives you an idea how claiming you have six parties involved could only tell a small part of the picture.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
You guys are naive. Most companies are expanding not just relocating and the hotel is going to be new to winnipeg thier going up announce anchor tennant within couple weeks your making assumptions and call me young check your facts the city is growing new companies are starting up all the time and were attracting new ones too winnipeg has cheap office and hydro costs don't put it past chipmans they know what thier doing.. They dont go into business if they don't think it's feasible
LOL.

Okay.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Have you (or your company) considered becoming a Peg City Car Co-op Member? There's six cars to choose from in the downtown area. Depending on where you work it might even be more convenient than where you currently park.
Actually that might be a good idea! I'll have to check into it.

I'm looking out the window right now an at empty car co-op parking spot. The car must be in use right now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
There's no question about that. But it's also the clientele. Decision makers are generally older, more affluent people living in these areas too. The whole thing is an exercise in trying to relate.

And I think it depends on what sort of engineering you're doing. You're involved int he transportation side if i remember correctly, so a lot of your 'clients' (read: government) will already be downtown too. But if you're a basic structural guy or doing electrical or mechanical stuff for contractors, your clients are largely transient and prefer not to have to pay to park their huge trucks downtown while they come in to pick up drawings. But of course, this is also anecdotal.

Eventually it isn't going to matter much anyway. Clients rarely see the inside of an office anymore given the ease with which things are emailed or meetings that can held over the phone or skype, and you're right about how the decisions are made: the owners/partners settle where its convenient. That'll likely continue to be the suburbs given that the decision makers will generally always be on the older side.
Yeah, I'm in transportation. But you're right, clients most of the time get stuff sent to them electronically. Microsoft Lync makes is super easy for video calls and sharing screens. I can let a co-worker, or someone from outside the company, take control of my screen. I don't even have a phone. I have a headset that goes through Lync for calling.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm in transportation. But you're right, clients most of the time get stuff sent to them electronically. Microsoft Lync makes is super easy for video calls and sharing screens. I can let a co-worker, or someone from outside the company, take control of my screen. I don't even have a phone. I have a headset that goes through Lync for calling.
Which is what makes the whole MBLL thing even more difficult to justify! They need an $80MM edifice so their employees aren't driving across town to meet? Why are they driving across town to begin with!? People are cutting billion dollar deals over Skype in this world and MBLL can't administrate the retail arm of the MLCC through file-sharing and conferencing software? This is crazy talk.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Actually that might be a good idea! I'll have to check into it.

I'm looking out the window right now an at empty car co-op parking spot. The car must be in use right now.
Here's what's booked downtown currently. (The two exchange district cars are under a different category):

Here's more info: http://pegcitycarcoop.ca/join/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:29 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I can't imagine using a service like this. According to Murphy whenever a car is needed none would be available.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I can't imagine using a service like this. According to Murphy whenever a car is needed none would be available.
In practice I have found that if you know when you need a car 24 hours or more in advance, you'll have no trouble booking your favourite car/location. More last minute and you might have to walk to the next closest car.

I've been using it exclusively (well, in addition to walk/bus/bike/traditional car rental) since January and have only had a couple situations where I was "up a creek".

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:55 PM

I find it interesting that one of the Sr Vice Presidents at MPI during the selection process of the proposals has ended up working as a Sr VP at the Birchwood Auto Group.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 10:22 PM

I have a very strong hunch that it will be a Le Germain hotel. Heard from the inside that the alt has surpassed expectations and the family was thrilled in working with longboat and in Winnipeg in general. Apparently 25% capacity is very good for the first 6 months a hotel is open, and alt was averaging 35% after 3 months.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I find it interesting that one of the Sr Vice Presidents at MPI during the selection process of the proposals has ended up working as a Sr VP at the Birchwood Auto Group.
Bahaha!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:31 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
great thread and then along comes the resident dickhead to condescend to everyone.
No kidding. This pattern is getting old very fast.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
No kidding. This pattern is getting old very fast.
We'll all miss your insipid commentary when you stop coming here to contribute nothing to the discussion.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We'll all miss your insipid commentary when you stop coming here to contribute nothing to the discussion.
You really can't handle it when people call you out for what you are, can you?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
You really can't handle it when people call you out for what you are, can you?
LOL. Do I strike you as caring one iota about somebody feeling condescended to? This isn't the hill you want to die on, penis.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
LOL. Do I strike you as caring one iota about somebody feeling condescended to? This isn't the hill you want to die on, penis.
Thanks for proving my point yet again, simps

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Which is what makes the whole MBLL thing even more difficult to justify! They need an $80MM edifice so their employees aren't driving across town to meet? Why are they driving across town to begin with!? People are cutting billion dollar deals over Skype in this world and MBLL can't administrate the retail arm of the MLCC through file-sharing and conferencing software? This is crazy talk.
You'd be shocked at the mileage accumulated to meet face-to-face by several of the Crown Corps/government agencies. It's sad and taking resources away from the front lines. They all have the latest in tele/video conferencing technology too. Pure waste.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
You'd be shocked at the mileage accumulated to meet face-to-face by several of the Crown Corps/government agencies. It's sad and taking resources away from the front lines. They all have the latest in tele/video conferencing technology too. Pure waste.
You know what the say - cultures are generated from the top down. If there isn't a tight control on resources at the top, there won't be an adherence to it at the bottom.

And if there was some public good behind this where the government was the only party that could accomplish these things because they aren't required to be mindful of profit, then that would be fine. But this is liquor and lotteries. Neither of these is a public good. They're both effectively taxes on the desperate and ill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan