HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 10:43 PM

The building itself isn't that bad. It could be better. The most obvious problem is it doesn't fit with the Joskee's building at it's base.

This building would do better across from the Hilton Palacio Del Rio or next to Rivercenter.

Another problem is the idea of adding more rooms to the downtown market. There have already been a number of foreclosures because existing hotels have not been able to get enough room revenue to pay their debts (17% tax and $20 parking don't help).

So they weren't able to do anything else with the space? Not a good sign for retail downtown.

Wouldn't this be a good space for the Institute of Texan Cultures? Now, I don't know what they actually have there anymore, how much space and what they do with it. Not to mention the complexity of exchanging properties, but the proximity to other attractions would cetainly help them, I would think. They could give their old property to the city/hemisfair and the city could give an equal amount of property on market & alamo to the mall owners (if they're really serious about building a hotel).

What? I've heard crazier ideas.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 12:00 AM

It looks good to me, San Antonio needs to get away from just building sructures that have to blend in with the limestone 1920's skycrapers and architecture.

It looks taller than the Nix or Drury tower and closer to 400 feet. The Bank Of America Tower is close to 400 feet and its 28 floors.

kevin, the Marriott Rivecenter has to be over 450 feet, I like the 546ft to the spires, stat, better.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 12:07 AM

Downtown hasn't had any proposed skyscrapers in a good while so at this point in time I'll take it. It's nice seeing some glass being proposed. If this had been apartment or lofts I think I'd warm up to it a little more considering there's already sooo many hotels downtown. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2013, 5:01 AM
JACKinBeantown

Man! Why does San Antonio always have to get the crappy looking buildings?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Does anyone know when the aerial images were taken for Google maps? The street level images are from April of 2011, but I'm not sure about the aerial ones.
Orthos are from spring 2013
Obliques are from some time in early 2009 I believe (its been a while)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 12:16 AM
Paradise

Some disagree with the project. I wonder if it will get shorter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...ng-4410859.php

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 1:52 PM

It's about time

It is so nice to see something going up in downtown SA that is taller than 100 feet. I hope this project will be the start of a building boom of our own.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Some disagree with the project. I wonder if it will get shorter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/...ng-4410859.php
I have a bad feeling about this.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 7:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

If you think about it, it's a pretty dumb idea to try to build something like this on top of a well known "historical" building like Joske's. Aside from the subjectivity of how good or bad the design of the building is (I vote for bad), they're trying to literally slap a modern building on top of a tried and true classical city favorite. It's short-sighted thinking if you ask me. They should have just decided to build it somewhere else in the first place.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 9:54 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
If you think about it, it's a pretty dumb idea to try to build something like this on top of a well known "historical" building like Joske's. Aside from the subjectivity of how good or bad the design of the building is (I vote for bad), they're trying to literally slap a modern building on top of a tried and true classical city favorite. It's short-sighted thinking if you ask me. They should have just decided to build it somewhere else in the first place.
I sort of agree. I have to wonder why they can't go with their original idea of building where the Commerce St. parking garage is.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 5:23 PM
James

I have to say I'm for it, but they need to change that design. I think if done right it could be a great example of embracing our past and looking to the future. This is our chance to be the progressive city we always claim to be.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2013, 6:43 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ls-4413719.php

Olivo makes some good points. I know we're all desperate for more high rises (myself included), but this is just too ugly.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 7:10 PM
James

Maybe we should encourage Ashkenazy to go with an art deco design, convince him that the increased cost would be worth it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 11:16 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formus View Post
What are hotel occupancy rates like for the downtown area? I thought I saw a number in the ~60% range a while back, although I could be wrong.
From this article from November 2012.

Quote:
followed by San Antonio with 65.5 percent
I've always heard that once a market hits 70 percent occupancy that that's when new hotel construction begins. However, that number for San Antonio was the citywide number. The Austin number in that article was mentioned as 69 percent, but the downtown number was 78 percent. I would imagine the downtown San Antonio number was a good bit higher than that 65 percent number.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:15 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Edit

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 4:58 AM
Paradise

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ck-4458355.php

Wonder when we'll see the new renderings.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ck-4458355.php

Wonder when we'll see the new renderings.
Ask and you shall receive!

I love it!

The new design is 10 times better. They added two stories so it'll be a "25" story building on top of a 5 story building. So basically a 30 story tower. Probably in the 350-400 foot range.

The HDRC better not screw this up.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 10:13 AM

Side by side of the two:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Ask and you shall receive!

I love it!

The new design is 10 times better. They added two stories so it'll be a "25" story building on top of a 5 story building. So basically a 30 story tower. Probably in the 350-400 foot range.

The HDRC better not screw this up.
The article says it'll peak out at 700', which seems high for 25 stories. Of course, they also implied the Hyatt Regency (Grand Hyatt, I guess) is 500' tall, which isn't the case, so who knows?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2013, 1:36 PM

Obviously they benefited from bringing an SA architect on board. The rendering reminds me of the Wells Fargo tower in Minneapolis. At 700 feet, it would only be 74 feet shorter than that building. Obviously that isn't the case. This building looks roughly equivalent to the Hyatt at ~400 feet, though its tough to scale visually with the memorial in the foreground. Regardless, it will noticeably fill a hole in the skyline, even if the HDRC is successful in skimming off a few more stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio