HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The official name should be... King's Beach. Keep with the theme. Even though it's not really near King's Beach... you can see it from 23 floors up.

AND that right there will be the biggest complaint from the usual's......My View My View My View.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:58 PM

Chris, you wouldn't happen to know the plans for the 23rd floor of the tallest building, would you? I think the whole proposal would go over much better with the public if there was some kind of observation deck/fine dining restaurant up there. That would be spectacular! Also, would 23 stories be enough to finally see over the hill?? I don't think so, but i'm not sure

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:59 PM

hey

Hey all i have been watching this forum since i was stationed in Oslo Norway last year and continued reading it every day every since! I love whats going on here with our city and figured nows a good a time as any to get in on the conversation! I love all these new proposals and can't wait to see what our wonderful city will develop into!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
AND that right there will be the biggest complaint from the usual's......My View My View My View.
But the best thing about this proposal is that by destroying say, 20 views of people in the area, you are creating 100's more views with this 13 story residential tower. The view argument is invalid.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
Hey all i have been watching this forum since i was stationed in Oslo Norway last year and continued reading it every day every since! I love whats going on here with our city and figured nows a good a time as any to get in on the conversation! I love all these new proposals and can't wait to see what our wonderful city will develop into!
Welcome! It's always great to have more people aboard! the more the merrier

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
But the best thing about this proposal is that by destroying say, 20 views of people in the area, you are creating 100's more views with this 13 story residential tower. The view argument is invalid.
I agree but you damn well know they will argue the city is crumbling for CORPORATE GREED will be spewed enough times to fill a puke bucket.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Chris, you wouldn't happen to know the plans for the 23rd floor of the tallest building, would you? I think the whole proposal would go over much better with the public if there was some kind of observation deck/fine dining restaurant up there. That would be spectacular! Also, would 23 stories be enough to finally see over the hill?? I don't think so, but i'm not sure

I do........it will be the executive floor for BioWare/EA Games.

There is a resturant planed for Floor 7

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.I.L. View Post
Welcome! YAY! Our first new member to post since we got our own section. We've been expecting you.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
The view argument gets to me a little as well.

I've come to accept the city should not be concerned about the views of individual residents. It's selfish to hold our city back for the sake of PRIVATE views. They should only be concerned about the city's PUBLIC view planes.

An extreme example to illustrate my point: we have a spectacular view of the city from Signal Hill. For that reason, a wall of private, condo skyscrapers in the Battery should never be approved. But, if they are, the city should force them to have public viewing decks.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:12 PM

Spoke with a friend who works with EA and he was unaware that the company is looking to expand out here. He is pretty a high level developer but said he would look into it and see if he could come up with some info.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The view argument gets to me a little as well.

I've come to accept the city should not be concerned about the views of individual residents. It's selfish to hold our city back for the sake of PRIVATE views. They should only be concerned about the city's PUBLIC view planes.

An extreme example to illustrate my point: we have a spectacular view of the city from Signal Hill. For that reason, a wall of private, condo skyscrapers in the Battery should never be approved. But, if they are, the city should force them to have public viewing decks.
But to impede view from Signal Hill they Towers would have to be pretty High. I do however agree with what you are stating. Believe it or not I would stand by the She-Devil and fight against anything modern being built in either the Battery (with the exception of the Battery Hotel Site) or the Gut.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:15 PM

Chris. If this is all made up I will shoot you.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
Spoke with a friend who works with EA and he was unaware that the company is looking to expand out here. He is pretty a high level developer but said he would look into it and see if he could come up with some info.
I wasn't either until I was told by HR when I was hired that my trek to Edmonton might not be very long as they are looking to set up in YYT.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Office/Retail tower would be 22/23 storeys (with storeys 1-6 being retail)
Building 1 (Apartments/Condos) 13 storeys
Building 2 (Parking/Retail) majority of parking according to them COULD be done underground. As for the height of that building I am not really certain. This could have been the 10 storey one they were proposing for water street side.

And Townie709 Thanks for the congrats!!!!! I am as giddy as a baby on Christmas Morning.
so will this be like a downtown mall? a vertical one for 6 floors?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Chris. If this is all made up I will shoot you.
It's not made up. Just being held closely for the time being.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Ack, Chris, I'm so paranoid you're not supposed to be sharing this, ha! I feel like you're going to get into trouble.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
I wasn't either until I was told by HR when I was hired that my trek to Edmonton might not be very long as they are looking to set up in YYT.
Its not that I don't believe you, just find it hard to imagine EA letting a new hire know about their plans when some top developers hardly know. I hope you are correct all the same.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Well I assume 6 floors means vertical. I hear its hard to fit 6 floors onto one floor...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
not a mall per say but rather a place with different types of stores.......something like Brunswick square that has the Delta on top. Remember this building will not be a fat blocky building that is why it will be six floors.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:22 PM

So in the 23 story building the first 6 will be retail and the 7th a restaurant? I like this plan a lot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's