HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:17 PM

Another thing about "Proposal 23".. Chris(t), when you say the building looks similar to Kings Wharf in Halifax, do you mean this one:

or this one:

I hope you mean the first!
And also, have you actually physically seen the design they decided to go with after?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm hoping the first as well... but I imagine it's the second.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Another thing about "Proposal 23".. Chris(t), when you say the building looks similar to Kings Wharf in Halifax, do you mean this one:

or this one:

I hope you mean the first!
And also, have you actually physically seen the design they decided to go with after?

Yes I have seen the render....I was shown a copy of it yesterday evening at my friends house. The office tower will be a bit wider but not by much, and it wont be 33 storeys tall.

The living area building will look exactly like the building in the second pic it will be a bit larger.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Argh, why don't they submit it ASAP?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:28 PM

Oh okay, so a bit of both! Sounds good

Looking forward to some more news soon (as I have said about 168 times now!!)

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Argh, why don't they submit it ASAP?

Signal....they are awaiting for EVERY BLOODY REPORT possibily needed to be done. LUNAR, WIND STUDY, TRAFFIC STUDY.

They want to go into a war with their guns fully loaded and more to reload if necessary.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Signal....they are awaiting for EVERY BLOODY REPORT possibily needed to be done. LUNAR, WIND STUDY, TRAFFIC STUDY.

They want to go into a war with their guns fully loaded and more to reload if necessary.
And that's the right way to do it. Give them everything at the one time and try to get it approved as quickly as possible before the protests are organized and the waltz is sung.

This developer better know what they're getting into

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:40 PM

Remember this WILL need a public consultation because it will require amendments to the municipal plan ... so they have to be getting their camp ready for battle before the rubber boots are organized

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And that's the right way to do it. Give them everything at the one time and try to get it approved as quickly as possible before the protests are organized and the waltz is sung.

This developer better know what they're getting into

My Son........Fortis will seem like a puppy dog compared to this developer. They are fully aware of what they are getting into. I do hope however they are smart enough to bring EA GAMES/BIOWARE into the battle as well!!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
That's the problem we look at average wages and not actual wages. For example across the street where I live the young couple make in excess of 350k a year due to both working in the oil industry where as the house next to them only make roughly 80k as they work for the government.

So when you add those up and get the average of those 2 households it gives a skewed amount of 107,500 each, when in fact that is not the truth.
That's why median income would be a more accurate measure.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:47 PM

Good! I am very glad!! It doesn't sound like they will just give up like other developers we know and love.. But that proposal really was garbage anyway.

What they should do is contact each council member except O'Leary and Duff and offer them $10,000 if they approve it! They are obviously spending many millions on this project, what's another 100K??

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Good! I am very glad!! It doesn't sound like they will just give up like other developers we know and love.. But that proposal really was garbage anyway.

What they should do is contact each council member except O'Leary and Duff and offer them $10,000 if they approve it! They are obviously spending many millions on this project, what's another 100K??
ummmm ... Townie ... that's called bribery hahahhahahaha and corruption that people go to jail for hahahaha

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:50 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

And then go straight to jail, lol...

I think they should especially reach out to Duff and O'Leary, once they've submitted the project.

I'd love for a developer to, for example, respond to every single one of my heritage concerns. I've no problem changing my views if my fears are alleviated and I'd hope Duff and O'Leary would do the same. If it's a great proposal, it should be easy to back it up. I'm already on board even with the limited information we have.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
That's why median income would be a more accurate measure.
Exactly, and when the median is included our wages will not look so rosy here.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I think they should especially reach out to Duff and O'Leary, once they've submitted the project.

I'd love for a developer to, for example, respond to every single one of my heritage concerns. I've no problem changing my views if my fears are alleviated and I'd hope Duff and O'Leary would do the same. If it's a great proposal, it should be easy to back it up. I'm already on board even with the limited information we have.

Signal........reaching out to Duff & O'Leary will be a complete waste of time as BOTH are 100% dead set against this. They both have seen this rendering and both know what will be proposed......It is useless, they are better to put their attention to the other Councillors who are in favor of this, as from what I understand it would only be 3 against (if you include the one on the fence), which means the majority of Council are for this proposal.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Then they should formally submit it ASAP.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:

Bribery, Corruption, it's all a part of life. I don't mind it if it benefits me, haha

Believe me, O'Leary will do everything she can to destroy it. Her stance on it will not publicly change even if she realizes this is a great and wonderful proposal. She will stay true to her voting base and try to grow it with people who dislike "Proposal 23" (just so you know, I am calling it that until an official name is mentioned )

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:55 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The official name should be... King's Beach. Keep with the theme. Even though it's not really near King's Beach... you can see it from 23 floors up.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Then they should formally submit it ASAP.

AS I said before:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:56 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Or the Terra Nova. We don't have anything significant named that in the city, and we should.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's