HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
And here is a New Years gift for those who like to dream.

(Purdy's Wharf is about 88 meters tall.)

This actually looks quite nice.

Is there much political support for re-vamping the City's viewplanes? Eventually, once the downtown is urbanised considerably, there will be an economic push for a change to the viewplanes, as there will be a land scarcity.

Regardless of the current laws, St. John's seems to be making progress with its core.

Like many other cities, however, it needs to curb its sprawl. Halifax has been modestly trying (or rather, merely talking about it); and yet only around 20% of the City's development has been on the peninsual That's still far too much going to the suburbs...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:12 PM

RyeJay, just I case you didn't read the last few pages, according to an inside source, there is a proposal in the works for a 23 story mixed use tower! We believe that the location will be right next to the scotia centre building on the bowrings site! So something of similar size or even slightly taller than purdy's wharf II Could be proposed here very soon! Stay tuned!

It is rumoured as well that fortis will resurrect its 15 story proposal next to the old fortis building later this year, as well as a hot being built by Groupe Germain on top on the Atlantic Place parking garage so stay tuned! This is going to be a very exciting year for St. John's!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

Is there much political support for re-vamping the City's viewplanes? Eventually, once the downtown is urbanised considerably, there will be an economic push for a change to the viewplanes, as there will be a land scarcity.

Regardless of the current laws, St. John's seems to be making progress with its core.

Like many other cities, however, it needs to curb its sprawl. Halifax has been modestly trying (or rather, merely talking about it); and yet only around 20% of the City's development has been on the peninsula That's still far too much going to the suburbs...
It doesn't go so much by view planes from a specific point, its kind of backwards in the sense that it's everyone's view OF the narrows (the opening of the harbor)

anything going up the hill in the minds of the DT dwellers should have an unobrstructed veiw of this:

This causes problems seeing that the functional downtown and business district is at the bottom of this hill ... smack dab in the middle of the historic district..

Therefore it's been battle after battle to build anything over 4 floors at the bottom of this hill in fear of a "glass wall of highrises" on the bottom blocking the view for everyone going up the hills.

That is why the west end DT has started to become the saving grace area for highrises however it's still confusing and not clear .. which has lead to the gross new rendering of the Hilton .. and now these larger proposals that will come out this year will be right back in the east end DT at the bottom of the hill .. and the war cries will be heard probably as far as Iceland hahaha

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 8:46 PM

This might become a city before CBS at the rate they are growing!

I can imagine that the next census will have Paradise's population not far off of Mount Pearl

A Great Year for Paradise

Quote:
Paradise Mayor Ralph Wiseman says 2012 was a great year for the town. Wiseman says there were 21 commercial business starts and 400 residential starts in Paradise over the past 12 months. Wiseman says they've been fortunate in that way, but on the other side of the coin is that with growth comes increased need and improvements in infrastructure. Wiseman says in 2009 the Town implemented a five year plan, which they have already met or exceeded.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29566&latest=1

Quote:
According to the 2011 Canadian census the population of Paradise is 17,695, after recording a 41% increase in population over five years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradis...d_and_Labrador

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post

Like many other cities, however, it needs to curb its sprawl. Halifax has been modestly trying (or rather, merely talking about it); and yet only around 20% of the City's development has been on the peninsual That's still far too much going to the suburbs...

You guys have Philip Pacey we have Sheliagh O'Leary. So to answer your question about revamping viewplanes.....When Hell Freezes Over!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
RyeJay, just I case you didn't read the last few pages, according to an inside source, there is a proposal in the works for a 23 story mixed use tower! We believe that the location will be right next to the scotia centre building on the bowrings site! So something of similar size or even slightly taller than purdy's wharf II Could be proposed here very soon! Stay tuned!

It is rumoured as well that fortis will resurrect its 15 story proposal next to the old fortis building later this year, as well as a hot being built by Groupe Germain on top on the Atlantic Place parking garage so stay tuned! This is going to be a very exciting year for St. John's!

Ahmm actually it will be 2 buildings, also "IF there is a hotel going on AP/parking Garage, It is quite possible that the hotel portion of the other development could be quashed and the Condos/Apartment section be made larger.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:32 PM

So I made a conceptual rendering .. these are not the official renderings they are just buildings based on the rumors we have been talking about with similar heights etc just so you can see what these areas would look like with buildings in them I'm sure the actual renderings will be blow your mind better than mine hahahahahaha

looks like in the future if similar developments happen, downtown could start to get very dense and urbanized

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
So I made a conceptual rendering .. these are not the official renderings they are just buildings based on the rumors we have been talking about with similar heights etc just so you can see what these areas would look like with buildings in them I'm sure the actual renderings will be blow your mind better than mine hahahahahaha

Now that is what I call a Central Business District! Although 1 more tower would be nice.....but I wouldn't wanna push it LOL.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:36 PM

Ahhh! It looks fantastic! I would LOVE to see that happen! Looks like page 347 will be another one I visit when I'm in a dreamy mood

It looks spectacular!! Someone really needs to show me how to make these renders!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Now that is what I call a Central Business District! Although 1 more tower would be nice.....but I wouldn't wanna push it LOL.
What's kind of crazy is that this is NOT a fantasy rendering lol .. it is a possible rendering based on current project and projects to be released soon .. wow can you imagine the difference from:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:

looks like in the future if similar developments happen, downtown could start to get very dense and urbanized

AP now sticks out like a sore thumb.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Ahhh! It looks fantastic! I would LOVE to see that happen! Looks like page 347 will be another one I visit when I'm in a dreamy mood

It looks spectacular!! Someone really needs to show me how to make these renders!
I just played around with paint, and other renders that people have done and put them together, I wish I knew how to do them like Arcitype... I'd have a field day

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
AP now sticks out like a sore thumb.
ops the TD building is recladed now too so the only nasty old building is AP ... It would kind of be nice too.. having a skyline like that but when you are on water street it's like smack out of the 1800s

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
ops the TD building is recladed now too so the only nasty old building is AP ... It would kind of be nice too.. having a skyline like that but when you are on water street it's like smack out of the 1800s
LOL yup but still imagine flying in over that at night it would almost look like a real DT lol

I for one hope every bloody one of those proposals comes to light, eventough I am moving to Edmonton I really wanna see my home town become a world class city with a very urban DT and finally have to space to attract some TOP companies.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:45 PM

and bam the value of the houses in the Battery skyrocket lol

It would be breath taking at night!

See what a couple skinny talls do for our skyline?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
and bam the value of the houses in the Battery skyrocket lol

It would be breath taking at night!

See what a couple skinny talls do for our skyline?
too hell with the battery......as they'd be the first to put on their rubber boots and kick up holy war

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 9:55 PM

Well, we need at least one tower that's taller than the rest and a central location such as the bowrings site is the perfect place to put it. Something iconic and beautiful. I really like the extended fortis place you did! It would have looked so good as a 20 story building! What you did is my dream for St. John's. it would look like a real downtown. Modern and historic; both equally beautiful!

I am very excited for this year

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:22 PM

Excellent render.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 11:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Looks good. I would prefer to concentrate our towers in the Downtown West End but this does look nice.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:45 AM
BANNED

Guys of the forum......... for those of you who love Kings Wharf (as much as I do), expect a MAJOR announcement either last week of Feb or First week of March. I have to be a debbie downer on this however as the design they went with will involve a road realignment, and we can be rest assured that NORWAY will hear the screams from O'Leary. My good friend just showed me the render on his PC and while it is stunningly beautiful there is no way this will pass council......unless there is a Miracle of some sort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's