HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Well, let's just say you sound very concerned that something will go wrong.

Also understand that St. George is not intended to compete with Central London. That' is not the way it works. People stand in long lines for a simple trip to the Statue of Liberty, but you wouldn't say there's a lot to do on that island either. Listen, there's always a possibility that things can go wrong, but there is really no reason to believe things can't or won't go right as far as this development goes. New York City is not run by a bunch of amateurs, and I don't think anybody involved in this proposal is in it to lose money. And all would have far more concerns about it than you or I, so if it moves forward, you better believe it's because there's a pretty good chance of success here.
-

Like I said, even if it fails, in the time that it would be in operation, it would benefit the Island. I want it built, I just hope they can get enough customers.

I'm sure they recognize that St.George gets less of a flow of visitors than the areas where some of the other observation wheels have been built. I hope their projections will be accurate.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
I'm sure they recognize that St.George gets less of a flow of visitors than the areas where some of the other observation wheels have been built. I hope their projections will be accurate.
From the City's viewpoint, it doesn't get any. That's all set to change. You'll have a view of this thing rising, and once it starts rising you will fill another level of excitement.

I think we can discuss the design a little, even though renderings are probably just preliminary. It looks a bit bulky compared to other wheels. I like the idea of the spire with the Moscow wheel. Now imagine if they had pods going up the spire like some of the vertical observation towers.

Some features of the Singapore Flyer...

swami stream

Aina Jiang

dd_hamburg

The London Eye...

Miguel Angelo (Porto Alegre, Brazil)

jimmyharris

-=.J.W.=-

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
From the City's viewpoint, it doesn't get any. That's all set to change. You'll have a view of this thing rising, and once it starts rising you will fill another level of excitement.

I think we can discuss the design a little, even though renderings are probably just preliminary. It looks a bit bulky compared to other wheels. I like the idea of the spire with the Moscow wheel. Now imagine if they had pods going up the spire like some of the vertical observation towers.
When I said St.George I was including the ferry terminal, which is the only place on Staten Island where tourists really go. 2 million people is a lot, just not nearly as much as Central London, of course. The wheel will increase that number, though.

Whenever I end up talking to tourists in Battery Park I always tell them to ride the Ferry instead. "It's free, and the view is amazing" I tell them.

-

I also like the base and the ring of the Moscow proposal. Very futuristic, and in a good way.

One of the things I love about the London Eye is that it's only held up by one A-frame, sort of putting it on display much like a framed picture with a stand. I hope they can incorporate that kind of design in to the SI wheel while still having an original design.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
When I said St.George I was including the ferry terminal, which is the only place on Staten Island where tourists really go. 2 million people is a lot, just not nearly as much as Central London, of course. The wheel will increase that number, though.
Going to the ferry terminal is the same as being on the boat, it doesn't count. The City wants to get them out of the terminal. And it's not just tourists. The plans for shopping will get New Yorkers who wouldn't normally get out, there are a lot of people who like to ride just for the ride or something to do on a date. I've noticed it. Now there will be options at the other end. They can extend it further and take a ride up the wheel, or spend some time in the new shopping centers.

Quote:
One of the things I love about the London Eye is that it's only held up by one A-frame, sort of putting it on display much like a framed picture with a stand. I hope they can incorporate that kind of design in to the SI wheel while still having an original design.
It will be nice if they incorporate something uniquely New York into the overall development, without making it too cheesey.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, whether we're for it or against it, get ready because it's coming!

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...&rc=1194&ndi=1

MAYOR BLOOMBERG UNVEILS PLANS TO BUILD WORLD'S TALLEST FERRIS WHEEL AND RETAIL OUTLET COMPLEX ON STATEN ISLAND’S NORTH SHORE

At 625 Feet, Structure Will Exceed Height of Singapore Flyer, London Eye and Plans for New Wheel on Las Vegas Strip; Expected to Carry 4.5 Million Riders Per Year.

470,000-Square-Foot Complex Will Feature Approximately 100 Designer Outlet Shops and a 200-Room Hotel;
Together, Two Projects Will Create Over 1,200 Construction Jobs and 1,100 Permanent Jobs

September 27, 2012

Quote:
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today will unveil plans to transform Staten Island’s waterfront by building the world’s largest Ferris wheel along with a new retail complex and hotel on sites adjacent to Richmond County Bank Ballpark in St. George.

The New York Wheel will be built just to the north of the ballpark and be 625 feet tall – 84 feet higher than the Singapore Flyer, currently the tallest Ferris wheel in the world. It will also be taller than the planned ‘High Roller’ wheel for the Las Vegas Strip, which is set to rise to 550 feet. The New York Wheel will be comprised of thirty-six capsules, each able to carry up to 40 passengers with a max capacity of 1,440 people per ride. The wheel is expected to welcome as many as 30,000 riders per day during peak season and an estimated 4.5 million visitors per year.

The Mayor also announced plans by BFC Partners to construct Harbor Commons, a 350,000-square-foot retail complex featuring 100 designer outlet stores and a 120,000-square-foot hotel on the site to the south of the ballpark. Together the projects will generate a $480 million private investment, and create over 1,200 construction jobs and 1,100 permanent jobs. Mayor Bloomberg will mkae the announcement on the Staten Island waterfront and be joined by New York City Economic Development Corporation President Seth W. Pinsky, President & CEO of the New York Wheel, LLC Richard A. Marin, BFC Partners Donald Capoccia, Joseph Ferrara and Brandon Baron, Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro, City Council Member Debi Rose and CEO of NYC & Company George Fertitta.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...rris_wheel.php

It's Official! Staten Island to Get World's Largest Ferris Wheel

Thursday, September 27, 2012
by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
It happened—Staten Island is getting a 625-foot tall observation wheel. The mega project includes a 350,000-square-foot outlet mall and 200-room hotel designed by SHoP Architects, and it will be located on waterfront property in St. George next to the New York Yankees minor league baseball stadium. The wheel, which has been boringly named the New York Wheel, is estimated to cost $230 million, nearly half of the $500 million price tag expected for the whole project. Rich Marin, a former investment banker at Bear Stearns, is the CEO of New York Wheel, LLC, and BFC Partners will be constructing the hotel and retail complex.

The tourist ride will be taller than the London Eye and the Singapore Flyer, making it the highest in the world. Starneth, the same team that built the London Eye, is designing the wheel. It will have 36 capsules, each able to carry 40 passengers, which adds up to 1,440 people per ride. Rides would last 38 minutes, and the wheel would be operational 365 days a year, "weather permitting." For spring, fall, and winter, the ride would be open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., with longer hours in the summer. Officials estimate that the wheel will see 4.5 million riders every year, and construction could start as soon as 2014. They hope that it will be ready for a grand opening in 2015.

A 100,000-square-foot commercial building will sit beneath the wheel, and there will be a 950-space parking structure. The whole thing will be super eco-friendly—think green roofs, solar panels, and clean energy power—and it's aiming for LEED Platinum certification. BFC Partners was tapped to build Harbor Commons, the 350,000-square-foot designer outlet mall and 120,000-square-foot hotel designed by SHoP Architects (arguably the busiest architecture firm in NYC). The mall will have approximately 100 shops and "a gourmet dining destination" with several restaurants. The hotel will have a 15,000-square-foot banquet space, and there will be a 1,250-space public underground parking facility. The whole thing will be topped by "a sweeping sustainable green roof," and there will be "expansive open corridors to the water." Construction should begin in winter 2014, and the project should open by 2016.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

With the announcement, the City released these renderings of the NY Wheel and the outlet center...

nycmayorsoffice

There will also be a rooftop park at the New York Wheel...

The outlet center will have rooftop park space as well...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:07 PM

what about the Pepsi wheel?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 9:26 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

This will be good for Staten Island. Aside from the ferry, That borough almost never gets associated with tourism.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 9:52 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Awesome. Everything is great about this.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:38 PM

The outlet center is awful and anti-urban. I could see the project becoming extremely dilapidated in a very short amount of time.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 11:43 PM
World Machine

I hope this will be sustainable - judging by the high profile support, I'm sure homework was done. It's an exciting project for the city nonetheless, and a great opportunity for Staten Island.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 12:26 AM
New Yorker for life

More info from the City's press release...

Quote:
The New York Wheel is expected be open 7 days a week, 365 days per year (except on severe weather days and required maintenance days) from roughly 10 AM to 10 PM in the fall, winter and spring. Rides will last roughly 38 minutes. In the summer, and on special occasions, the Wheel will stay open for longer hours. Construction is expected to begin in early 2014, with the goal of hosting a grand opening by the end of 2015. The Wheel’s designer and manufacturer will be Starneth, comprised of members of the team that built the London Eye.

At the base of the Wheel will sit a 100,000-square-foot terminal building, which will include various commercial uses, such as retail, restaurant, and theater space, as well as exhibitions about New York City history, alternative energy and environmental sustainability.

Construction plans for the Wheel and terminal building will strive for Platinum LEED certification, the highest rating of sustainable building. It expects to be powered predominantly by clean energy. A 950-space structured parking garage will also be built on the site, featuring a green roof with open space, solar panels and planted gardens. New York Wheel LLC will invest approximately $250 million to complete the project, which will create an anticipated 419 construction jobs and 426 permanent jobs.

At the southern site, BFC Partners’ Harbor Commons will be an up-to 350,000 square foot retail complex, comprised of approximately 100 designer outlet retailers, along with a gourmet dining destination with a variety of restaurants and cafes. . Plans also include a 200-room, 120,000-square-foot hotel, with a 15,000-square-foot banquet facility that will provide extraordinary views of the Manhattan skyline.

BFC Partners will also build a 1,250-space structured parking garage below the retail and hotel components to accommodate commuters and tourists alike. Construction is expected to begin in the winter of 2014 and be completed in 2016. Designed by SHoP Architects, Harbor Commons will feature expansive open corridors to the water, contemporary materials reflective of the industrial waterfront, and a sweeping sustainable green roof visible from the Harbor. Celebratory vertical circulation elements such as grand staircases, glass elevators, and streamlined escalators will guide shoppers as they move from the waterfront up to Richmond Terrace, creating a dynamic and easily navigated pedestrian experience.

Both New York Wheel and BFC Partners will enter into 99-year leases. Combined the two parties will pay $2.5 million per year in rent to the City, with additional participation rents once certain ridership and gross revenue milestones are reached. The developers will also contribute $300,000 per year in contributions to area-wide maintenance, such as upkeep to the waterfront esplanade.

Photos from the press conference...

nycmayorsoffice

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
The outlet center is awful and anti-urban. I could see the project becoming extremely dilapidated in a very short amount of time.
What is anti-urban about the shopping center? Based on the rendering, it looks about as urban as you can get.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 1:31 AM

is the pepsi wheel thing still coming?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is the pepsi wheel thing still coming?
That was in New Jersey.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 8:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

It seems, Staten Island, my work here is done. *bow*

This is brilliant. I'm floored, I can't explain how happy this makes me. My hometown, my home-borough, no longer forgotten...at the very least, less forgotten. I love the path-lines from Richmond Terrace to the waterfront...this outlet mall looks like a more grounded version of the Seaport. What's more, the wheel itself does not look as out of scale as I thought it might. The form is so airy that it doesn't oppress. Well done, all involved, well done.

Now let's hope this becomes a reality and my joy isn't in vain. In any case, the development potential here has been made very public...and if not this, some other landmark development will reach Staten Island soon after. However, I think this is too cool to not happen, simply put.

*fingers crossed*

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 9:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
It seems, Staten Island, my work here is done. *bow*

This is brilliant. I'm floored, I can't explain how happy this makes me. My hometown, my home-borough, no longer forgotten...at the very least, less forgotten. I love the path-lines from Richmond Terrace to the waterfront...this outlet mall looks like a more grounded version of the Seaport. What's more, the wheel itself does not look as out of scale as I thought it might. The form is so airy that it doesn't oppress. Well done, all involved, well done.
It's great news, especially to see so much support behind this project. And no public money will be spent for either development. The parking that's being replaced will be expanded. And finally there's a major draw to the area, whether it be the wheel or the outlets. New York has no shortage of tourists and shoppers, and this is just throwing raw meat to those masses.

It will be a wonderful experience, and people will get to see more of New York the way it really is, not just landlocked in Manhattan. The breathtaking views of the harbor in all its majesty, from Manhattan to the ocean, Brooklyn to Jersey, even Staten Island will be laid out for all to see finally. The designs will be refined of course, the rooftop park on the wheel complex could use more work. But this is a reminder to people that New York is not done yet. It's a living, vibrant City, with more changes to come, things to get built. There will always be something new on the horizon, even when some people think there's enough already. And that's just one reason I love it.

Anyway, you know it's big news when all of the politicians show up for the press conference. Some quotes from various officials and developers:

Quote:
-“The New York Wheel is destined to become one of the City’s—and the world’s—great landmark attractions,” said Richard A. Marin, President and CEO of the New York Wheel LLC. “There are very few opportunities in life to get involved with a project of this magnitude. We believe that the Wheel will quickly become an iconic fixture and we are proud and excited to bring it to Staten Island, New York City, and the Tri-State area.”

-“As the first ever designer outlet complex in New York City, the development of Harbor Commons will provide a once in a lifetime opportunity for specialty retailers to expand their stake in the most vibrant market in the country,” said Donald Capoccia, Managing Principal and Founder of BFC Partners. “We are proud to announce this exciting project, which will be the go-to location for millions of New Yorkers and tourists each year seeking a breathtaking and free ferry ride to a dynamic waterfront destination with a unique world of value shopping and great dining.”

-“For the last two years, I have anxiously been waiting for this day,” said Statem Island Borough President James Molinaro. “This wheel is a game changer for Staten Island and it will permanently change the face of St. George in a positive way. There has never been a proposed project that has been as much accepted by the general population as this one. Going forward, Staten Island will be known as the Borough with the largest wheel in the world.”

-“The New York Wheel will undoubtedly become a new landmark in New York City, attracting visitors from all over, providing economic growth and a new visibility for Staten Island,
said Senator Charles E. Schumer. “It's sure to be a source of enjoyment for those who visit and I want to thank Mayor Bloomberg and the NYC Economic Development Corporation for creating this opportunity for the city.”

-“Building the world’s largest observation wheel along with a new retail complex will transform Staten Island’s waterfront,” said Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand. “This new iconic site in St. George will have a lasting impact on the Borough's economic growth and job creation.”

-“A Ferris wheel on Staten Island’s North Shore will give New Yorkers and tourists alike the opportunity to share the spectacular view of Manhattan’s skyline that Staten Islanders have enjoyed for decades,” said Rep. Michael Grimm.

-“For decades now people have talked about the potential of the Staten Island waterfront,” said State Assemblyman Matthew Titone. “At last, at long last, it looks like that potential will be fulfilled, and it will be fulfilled in a spectacular way. I hope to be on the inaugural ride of the New York Wheel.”

-“As a partner in the redevelopment of Coney Island, I've seen first-hand what can be achieved when the government and the private sector work together,” said State Senator Diane Savino. “I want to thank the Mayor for helping to usher in this project that will produce much needed jobs, as well as the potential for a real, long lasting economic boost for the North Shore.”

-“Community Board 1 wants to thank Mayor Bloomberg, Deputy Mayor Steel, EDC President Seth Pinsky, BFC Partners Founder Donald Capoccia and Richard A. Marin, President and CEO of the New York Wheel LLC for heeding our call for common sense development along the north shore waterfront,” said Joseph Carroll, District Manager of Community Board 1 in Staten Island.

In 2011, New York City attracted a record 50.5 million visitors, who generated more than $48 billion in economic impact. The tourism sector also supports 320,000 jobs. At the beginning of 2012, Mayor Bloomberg set a new goal to welcome 55 million annual visitors by 2015. In addition, New York City has continued to maintain its position as the most popular U.S. city destination for international visitors, the nation’s number one port of entry and the number one city destination for tourism spending. The City also maintains the highest share of overseas travel to the United States, at approximately 33 percent.

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/47023

Welcome to Staten Eye-Land: World’s Tallest Ferris Wheel to Anchor New Waterfront Development

September 27, 2012
Branden Klayko

Quote:
Today, thousands of tourists and residents make a loop on the Staten Island Ferry between the borough and Manhattan, but as soon as 2016, they can also make a vertical loop on the world’s tallest Ferris wheel, anchoring a new mixed-use waterfront project on the North Shore waterfront in St. George. Mayor Bloomberg today unveiled plans for Harbor Commons, which includes 350,000 square feet of retail space for 100 outlet mall stores, a 200-room, 120,000 square foot hotel, and a massive green-roofed parking structure, but all eyes were on the projects signature element, the 625-foot-tall New York Wheel will offer stunning views of New York City and Harbor to an estimated 4.5 million people per year.

The Harbor Commons and New York Wheel developments flank the Richmond County Bank Ballpark, home of the minor league Staten Island Yankees, and rise from the site of two large surface parking lots at the ferry landing.

SHoP Architects with Lee Weintraub Landscape Architects designed the $230 million mixed-use outlet mall-entertainment-hotel complex at Harbor Commons to relate to the surrounding Staten Island community while still providing a monumental presence on the waterfront and ferry landing. “At SHoP, we like taking typilogies traditionally considered suburban or car-dominated and turning them inside out, making them urban in their experience” said Vishaan Chakrabarti, principal at SHoP. “It’s not a mall in the traditional sense.”

A series of undulating ribbon-like green roof structures are arrayed at Harbor Commons that define three open-air pedestrian corridors through the site. Each ribbon is punctuated by grids skylights where north-south passages connect the corridors. “It’s about organizing pedestrian corridors,” said Chakrabarti. “We looked to create a contemporary version of an Italian hill town. The great hill towns have interesting spines.” Floor plates gradually shift as the site negotiates a 25-foot grade change. Facade treatments and materials are still being determined, but will reflect the industrial waterfront site. Chakrabarti said SHoP is exploring a signage and art program that will enliven the waterfront facade. “As day turns to night, the ribbon’s presence on the waterfront is elevated as they start to glow.” Chakrabarti said. Whatever the final design, however, it “needs to be respectful of the waterfront.”

The Ferris wheel on the north side of the ballpark will take the world’s tallest title, topping the Singapore Flyer by 84 feet and dwarfing other iconic wheels like the London Eye which stands just over 440 feet tall. The $250 million wheel will contain 36 football-shaped pods carrying 40 passengers each for the 38 minute ride. The NYC Economic Development Corporation estimated that at peak season the wheel will spin up to 30,000 visitors a day. The New York Wheel’s resemblance to its London equivalent is more than passing, it’s being designed by Starneth, whose team includes members who built the Eye. Surrounding the New York Wheel, a 100,000 square foot commercial terminal building continues the theme of green ribbons roofs, adding an array of wind turbines and solar panels. The structure will include restaurant, retail, theater, and exhibition space over a nearly 1,000-car parking structure.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:45 PM

I lived in SI for a brief period and I really hope this takes off, but I'm just not sure about this whole ferris wheel thing.

The SI ferry already provides amazing views to tourists...for free. Tourists see the skyline, the Statue of Liberty, and other peripheral skylines. The entire thing takes under one hour before tourists are back in Manhattan doing what they do.

Let's face it, Manhattan offers tourists a million things to do. And more and more Brooklyn is becoming a draw. Don't forget about the Bronx zoo either. That being said, does the typical tourist have time (and money) for this?

I'm not saying this isn't cool. But I'm asking, is it worth a tourist's time to come to disembark the ferry for another view? I get it that the view is better, but worthwhile to spend additional time? I'm a bit pessimistic.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 7:11 PM

Saw this on channel 7 news this is so badass.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, it's already made a lot of news. That's the boldness of the plan, it won't be ignored. In that, it's already a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I lived in SI for a brief period and I really hope this takes off, but I'm just not sure about this whole ferris wheel thing.

The SI ferry already provides amazing views to tourists...for free. Tourists see the skyline, the Statue of Liberty, and other peripheral skylines. The entire thing takes under one hour before tourists are back in Manhattan doing what they do.

Let's face it, Manhattan offers tourists a million things to do. And more and more Brooklyn is becoming a draw. Don't forget about the Bronx zoo either. That being said, does the typical tourist have time (and money) for this?

I'm not saying this isn't cool. But I'm asking, is it worth a tourist's time to come to disembark the ferry for another view? I get it that the view is better, but worthwhile to spend additional time? I'm a bit pessimistic.
Tourist will go to the wheel for the experience, not just the view. They will come because it will be an icon of New York, seen around the world. They will come because it's among the easiest things for them to get to - one of the reasons tourists don't go to the far reaches of the boroughs besides lack of things to do is because in a City where just navigating Manhattan can be confusing, that would be asking too much. The Staten Island Ferry is the City's third top tourist attraction. That's saying a whole lot for a city such as New York.

Tourist typically spend from a few days to a week or so in New York. A ride accross the harbor topped off with a 40 minute ride on the giant New York Wheel will be an irresistible proposition, among the can't miss oppurtunities in town. You can only hang out in Times Square for so long. You often hear ferry tourists looking for things to do on Staten Island (since, as you note, getting there is free). That's the key, something to do or get to, of which now there is nothing. That's the reason tourist turn around and go right back to Manhattan. Now, in addition to drawing from the regular tourist who ride the ferry, additional tourist who would not otherwise ride the ferry will be drawn because it's the ride to the wheel. Of course, tourist won't be the only ones drawn to the wheel, but never underestimate the power of tourism (and the money it brings ) in New York City.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...t_to_plan.html

Staten Islanders react to plan for giant Ferris wheel on waterfront

September 28, 2012
By Michael Sedon

Quote:
It seemed as though everyone riding the Staten Island Ferry on Thursday had his or her own spin on the New York Wheel, the audacious project announced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. "I think it's a great idea," said Jean-Pierre Hyppolite of Meiers Corners. "It will be very interesting for Staten Island. It will bring more people to visit our Island, and it will be a creative place for people to enjoy. And I want to beat London!"

"I think it will bring a lot of tourists to Staten Island and more jobs too," said Andy Ocasio of New Dorp. "This one is just like the one in London. It looks like it."

But the corrosive sea air and existing parking problems in St. George led Bob Gerrish and Robert Forster, both of Dongan Hills, to predict the project will be a "failure." "They don't realize that the salt air is going to eat it up," Gerrish said. "And parking, forget about it." "It's going to be too much money for repairs," added Forster. The extravagance of this plan is unnecessary, in the opinion of Eltingville resident Kelly Hamilton. "There are other things going on on the Island, such as the fare hikes for the bridge, and libraries vastly underutilized and they don't have enough books and things like that," Ms. Hamilton said. "It's almost like a joke for anyone to put a Ferris wheel here. I was embarrassed when I heard it. It's not necessary.

"I think it's an excellent, excellent idea," said Ellie Sugarman of Battery Park City while sitting next to the CFO of the New York Wheel LLC Eric Kaufman on the ferry. "I think it's going to bring Staten Island so many jobs, so much economic development, and my favorite part about it, it's going to be 100 percent sustainable. What I would like to see is that wheel starting to generate energy."

"I guess it looks like a good idea to entice people to come to the Island if that's what they're trying to do," said Vinny Quarato of Great Kills. "It's probably going to attract more people from the Island to come down there, and it may attract people from Manhattan, tourists, definitely a tourist attraction."

Brooklyn resident Nielandra Thomas sees tourists and traffic as an issue with the wheel. "It will be a tourist attraction," Ms. Thomas said. "It will bring in money, and people into Staten Island. It may cause other people traffic issues with more people coming in, but overall I think it's a benefit."

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...aten_isla.html

Bloomberg to Staten Island: Additional parking part of plan for New York Wheel

September 28, 2012
By Jillian Jorgensen

Quote:
The wheel can hold more than 1,000 passengers at a time, and will welcome about 30,000 visitors a day during peak season, and about 4.5 million people a year, Bloomberg said. "Together with Brooklyn Bridge Park and Governor's Island, it's another amazing addition to a harbor that we have brought roaring back to life," he said. The wheel would be great enough on its own, he said, but it's coming with a massive retail outlet to be known as Harbor Commons, designed by SHoP Architects, which is behind the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

While Islanders have been fretting about parking in the already-tight-for-cars St. George area, Bloomberg sought to quell those fears by saying parking spots would increase. Parking decks will be located underground beneath the developments. "Let me repeat that -- because there is always misinformation about parking spaces. It's one of the most complicated things in the world," he said. "All the parking spaces that were removed for these developments will be replaced, and then some."

To be exact, New York City Economic Development Corporation president Seth Pinsky said there will be "roughly" 2,200 spaces -- more than the 1,600 that are currently on site.

No taxpayer funding is being used for the development -- and Pinsky said developers won't be getting tax breaks. "No government is putting any money into the project, the site will be paying full taxes," he said. And the city will be pulling in $2.5 million a year in base rent on the sites, which they will lease to developers. In the next 30 years, the city expects to earn $100 million in net taxes from the development, Bloomberg said.

I don't see any problems here. I understand some people would prefer it stay as parking lots, but you don't invite guest over for dinner, and don't prepare anything for them to eat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects