HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The Wagon Wheel is a dilapidated dump that makes mediocre clubhouses served by surly staff.

I would rather see a successful new development than save the Wagon Wheel.
New owners and staff since the passing of the previous one. The Club was up to par(I enjoy it) and the staff was friendly.

Side note Smokes has been delayed again. Sign on the door indicated possibly tommorow. Me want POUTINE

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 3:14 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Downtown diner threatened
Wagon Wheel building may be doomed by new development

By: Bartley Kives

Posted: 05/31/2011 1:00 AM

Franny Gomez says she has no idea what will happen to her diner if the new owners of the building redevelop the block.

One of Winnipeg's most cherished culinary institutions could become a casualty of a plan to redevelop an entire block of downtown Winnipeg on the north side of Portage Avenue.

But the movers and shakers behind a plan to revitalize downtown are vowing to carve out a new home for the Wagon Wheel Lunch -- should one be required. [...]

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...122853994.html

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:21 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Who else would appreciate a little more on-campus diversity in food options at the University of Manitoba?

Given that we're about to become home to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, AND we're a campus of some 20,000 students, staff faculty, etc on a given day... is it possible to get some more on-campus food options?

I hate Aramark, plain and simple, black and white.

Why does the University of Calgary get a "food court" and we get Aramark CRAP, and Aramark-run Subway and Tim Hortons, that run minimal staff, and have very limited summer hours? Why must we continue to live under their creedo of "Our efficencies gained through making you wait."

Please comment, agree, disagree, yell, whine, ponder; I don't care:
Discuss.
Yeah, when I went to uni there from 2000-2005, after a while I could't stand aramark. They are a good option but they shouldn't be the only option! I could only handle so many pizza slices and ceasar wraps in one year.....though I really liked the ceasar wraps!

I like how "bar I" has expanded at least......I think what needs to happen is a huge retrofit / expansion to University Centre. It is very limiting and fit for a university half the size. Maybe the new engineering or business buildings should have provided a few additional restaurants for a kind of retail strip feel?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:52 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Poutinerie is open now.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:11 PM

Lineups all day.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Yeah, when I went to uni there from 2000-2005, after a while I could't stand aramark. They are a good option but they shouldn't be the only option! I could only handle so many pizza slices and ceasar wraps in one year.....though I really liked the ceasar wraps!

I like how "bar I" has expanded at least......I think what needs to happen is a huge retrofit / expansion to University Centre. It is very limiting and fit for a university half the size. Maybe the new engineering or business buildings should have provided a few additional restaurants for a kind of retail strip feel?
Thank you for your reply.
Bar I is no longer on campus. In fact, that location is empty now... the previous bar, Wiseguys, lost their license and a new UMSU pub is supposed to be opening soon.

Heh, funny you mention a retrofit / expansion to the UC. They are (wasting) a bunch of money and effort on replacing all the floor tiles in the UC... have been working at it slowly for MONTHS. I have no idea what was wrong with the old tile... it was functional, maybe a bit dark.

Anyways, food: I'm a graduate student and researcher with a large research group on campus (about 40 others in our group, students, staff,etc), and its pretty much a fulltime, 9 - 5 life here, all calendar year... and we end up going to St. Johns all the time. Now, don't get me wrong... St. Johns is a cafe run in a Church basement and offers a decent menu; the problem is it starts to all taste the same, and their kitchen and menu is somewhat limited and all our other options are subway, aramark, or tim hortons. Theres a terrible selection of quick 'n easy variety here, and it just irks me that with a university population close to 30,000 (staff students, etc), we don't have more choices.

The lineups, particularly in the summer for some reason, are atrocious. At least we can pile into a car or two and go off campus for chinese buffet from time to time, but thats not always feasible.

"So bring a lunch from home ya lazy bum."
Well, we all do that... in fact, maybe even 4 / 5 days a week we bring food from home. Then we face the problem that we have no where to eat our food as a group... some of the establishments on campus (particularly degrees) are staunch against any food from outside... which sucks when one or two people want to join the group and bring their lunch.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Poutinerie is open now.
What are their hours?
More importantly, will they be open sundays, or will they join the rest of the Exchange District in the "Sunday Shut 'er down" routine?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Thank you for your reply.
Bar I is no longer on campus. In fact, that location is empty now... the previous bar, Wiseguys, lost their license and a new UMSU pub is supposed to be opening soon.

Heh, funny you mention a retrofit / expansion to the UC. They are (wasting) a bunch of money and effort on replacing all the floor tiles in the UC... have been working at it slowly for MONTHS. I have no idea what was wrong with the old tile... it was functional, maybe a bit dark.

Anyways, food: I'm a graduate student and researcher with a large research group on campus (about 40 others in our group, students, staff,etc), and its pretty much a fulltime, 9 - 5 life here, all calendar year... and we end up going to St. Johns all the time. Now, don't get me wrong... St. Johns is a cafe run in a Church basement and offers a decent menu; the problem is it starts to all taste the same, and their kitchen and menu is somewhat limited and all our other options are subway, aramark, or tim hortons. Theres a terrible selection of quick 'n easy variety here, and it just irks me that with a university population close to 30,000 (staff students, etc), we don't have more choices.

The lineups, particularly in the summer for some reason, are atrocious. At least we can pile into a car or two and go off campus for chinese buffet from time to time, but thats not always feasible.

"So bring a lunch from home ya lazy bum."
Well, we all do that... in fact, maybe even 4 / 5 days a week we bring food from home. Then we face the problem that we have no where to eat our food as a group... some of the establishments on campus (particularly degrees) are staunch against any food from outside... which sucks when one or two people want to join the group and bring their lunch.
ya, I dont know why, but sometimes they take that suffering student thing way too far at the U of M as far as food choices go. Maybe they are worried about a bunch of fast food dumps coming in and invading? Im sure that wouldn't be a problem though.....winnipeg has great food everywhere else. Pita Pit would have been a perfect fit for the U of M. We used to get it delivered to the architecture studio at 2 in the morning.......at least that is what I remeber the time was......maybe it was more like 11pm.....anyway, ya. I always felt very limited at the U of M for food. At least my friends took me to REZ every now and then to eat........residence has great food if you dont eat there all the time.....

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:49 PM

Smokes Poutinerie opened today and drew quite a crowd. Great little shop and very fast service despite the long lineup. Tried the pulled pork poutine and was impressed, this little shop with their late night hours should feed a hungry after bar crowd. Check it out a great new addition to the Exchange.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:12 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I heard an ad on the radio the other day for another poutine place (didn't catch the name) that serves Indian butter chicken on poutine instead of gravy!

Quote:
What are their hours?
More importantly, will they be open sundays, or will they join the rest of the Exchange District in the "Sunday Shut 'er down" routine?
Don't know the hours, I just read it on Facebook.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I heard an ad on the radio the other day for another poutine place (didn't catch the name) that serves Indian butter chicken on poutine instead of gravy!

Don't know the hours, I just read it on Facebook.
This is the one that does that Riverman. They have quite a few varieties.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 3:38 AM

Quote:
What are their hours?
From their website:

Smoke's Poutinerie Winnipeg
131 Albert Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 1G6

Opening May 30, 2011!

T 204 253 2873 (CURD)
F 204 942 2873 (CURD)

Monday to Wednesday 11am - 11pm
Thursday 11am - 3am
Friday + Saturday 11am - 4am
Sunday Closed

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 9:57 PM

The line at Smoke's poutinerie was soo long today and yesterday! My friend said it took him like 30 minutes to get a poutine.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:55 PM

Anyone know what restaurant is opening up on the ground floor of the Hydro Building?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 10:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Anyone know what restaurant is opening up on the ground floor of the Hydro Building?
NE side along graham?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
NE side along graham?
that is correct

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 5:02 AM

Quote:
I wonder if they're full of asbestos.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 4:35 AM

While stuck in traffic on Osborne today noticed all of the awnings at the old Basils restaurant have been taken down. Anybody hear what is taking shape behind the papered windows? On a side note the north part of the building looks like it was some sort of bank building before Basils anyone recall?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
Rudy's I believe. End of summer opening with a non-smoking patio. I took a peak inside yesterday, It has hardwood floors from an old school. A restauranteur from The Forks will be the owner (hopefully not the Beachcomber).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 12:11 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
A restauranteur from The Forks will be the owner (hopefully not the Beachcomber).
Yeah, no kidding. Barf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan