HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 2:11 PM

the second last photo 1wtc looks a monster of a tower some great progress cant wait to watch the tv on 9/11/11 and see the victims familys find a proper place to grieve.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 6:28 PM
BROOKLYN

Awesome updates!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 8:36 PM
BANNED

Will any parts of the subterranean mall and walkway open before the PATH station and transit hub are complete? In other words, when WTC1 is open in 2013, will that stretch be accessible from the World Financial Center access point? I'm just trying to get an idea of when we should expect the underground network to be complete, because I think it's safe to assume that WTC2 and WTC3 will be the last active sites of construction in the whole complex. (Well, unless the PA decides what to do with the WTC5 site.)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:01 AM

when can we expect cladding on the museum?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
when can we expect cladding on the museum?
If you mean the "pavilion" entrance, that's supposed to be done by this year's anniversary. I haven't been keeping track of when the mall will open, but my guess is when the new terminal itself is open.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...NewYork.com%29

Preparing for a major influx
Stores revamp for extra shoppers; retail rents on the rise

March 20, 2011
By Adrianne Pasquarelli

Quote:
J&R is ramping up for the opening of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. The electronics complex, a lower Manhattan institution, is adding staff and making adjustments to handle the anticipated influx.

“We're expecting a big surge of people, a lot of tourists coming down but also local people,” said Rachelle Friedman, J&R's chief executive.

The downtown retail community is excited about the sales prospects presented by the expected 5 million annual visitors to the memorial.

Retail landlords also hope to take advantage of the extra traffic, which will only increase when the commercial tower One World Trade Center is completed in 2013.

Many property owners on Broadway are “tickled pink,” said David Tricarico, senior director at Cushman & Wakefield Inc.

Neighborhood stores are fine-tuning to accommodate the crowds. Century 21, on Cortlandt Street between Church Street and Broadway, directly across from ground zero, plans to hire more employees to serve all the additional customers, a company spokeswoman said.

At J&R, Ms. Friedman is moving the travel department, which sells equipment such as adapters and luggage, closer to its new café, which has become a popular destination for first-time shoppers there. The 40-year-old retailer is also hiring more bilingual salespeople to better serve foreign tourists. In addition, live in-store performances are planned for the days leading up to the memorial's debut on Sept. 11.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:10 PM
New Yorker for life

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/14918

World Trade Update: Glass Rising

The western face of Snohetta's Memorial Museum Pavilion takes on a reflective layer

March 28, 2011
Tom Stoelker

Quote:

It’s been a couple of weeks since we stopped by the WTC site. The most striking aspect from the street remains the speed with which glass surfaces begin to rise. It seems like only yesterday that three stories of glass wrapped around Tower One. Now with ten stories completed, the quartz-like surfaces start to take shape. At the Memorial Museum, Snohetta’s glass has flown up in what seems a matter of days. The facade already reflects the grove, whose trees continue their own march toward West Street.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 3:32 PM

why is the glass so...wavy?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
why is the glass so...wavy?
Everyone was worried about the distortion on WTC1... now it's turning out great.... patience my friend.... patience

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 6:24 PM
Grand is Golden!

I assume the reason why the glass is wavy is because the building needs to be pressurized from the inside out.

According to the PA on wtcprogress.com, the wavy reflection should be reduced once the building is pressurized.

Don't take my word for it though, this is just an assumption made with the same circumstances with 1 WTC.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 6:56 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
I assume the reason why the glass is wavy is because the building needs to be pressurized from the inside out.

According to the PA on wtcprogress.com, the wavy reflection should be reduced once the building is pressurized.

Don't take my word for it though, this is just an assumption made with the same circumstances with 1 WTC.
I thought someone had already debunked the pressurized theory. I guess if the PA says it's going to diminish, even a little, then we should take their word for it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I thought someone had already debunked the pressurized theory. I guess if the PA says it's going to diminish, even a little, then we should take their word for it.
This is exactly why I suggested a FAQ section in the first post of the WTC1 thread...Another god damn wavy glass pressurization conversation...jesus

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 9:31 PM
Honored Member

Someone at the PA got it all wrong. All the buildings at the WTC will have a slight overpreasure as part of there NBC protection. But this presure is slight, less than 1.2 pounds per square foot.

I see this slight pressure having no effect on glass designed to withstand 130+ mph wind, 45 pounds per square foot.

Let's just chill out and let em finish the buildings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 9:58 PM
BROOKLYN

Glass!!!! Nice progress

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:02 AM

This is wonderful!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:06 AM

A nice design but the price tag is way too high. It will cost $3-4 billion to build, more than any of the towers. Perhaps the design would serve better as an entrance to the underground WTC Museum., if it can be done without huge costs.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:38 AM

Well, let's just put it this way.

If they ever, and I mean EVER, had to demolish Madison Square Garden and rebuild the original Penn Station, brick for brick from McKim, Mead, and White's original design, the budget would probably soar past 10 billion. Although, since some aspects of the original infrastructure are still in place I think I could slice off 2 billion.

It's also because of the fact that there are so many anomalies happening in the WTC site, not just the design. The transit hub, including the PATH Hall, oculus, and retail must all play into that factor.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Let's just chill out and let em finish the buildings.
I was just about to say the same thing. What is it about people that they can't wait to criticize something? The pavilion in particular should have it's exterior completed by the fall, so that's not really too far off.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 1:27 PM
Grand is Golden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godwindaniel View Post
A nice design but the price tag is way too high. It will cost $3-4 billion to build, more than any of the towers. Perhaps the design would serve better as an entrance to the underground WTC Museum., if it can be done without huge costs.
I agree to some extent. Let's not get this thread into a debate about money, now. It's the government. They can toss around our money like toy cars.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:33 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. What is it about people that they can't wait to criticize something? The pavilion in particular should have it's exterior completed by the fall, so that's not really too far off.
I thought threads were for discussing. It's on topic too. I can understand some people being tired of the same discussion but some people like to talk about it. I don't mind it, and I don't know anything about it, but some people like it. I can also understand how someone can criticize it, since it is pretty wavy. I also don't mind it either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture