HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I heard something like 200 sales out of 1200-1400(?) units.

The city definitely needs to be able to sell it all at market prices to have a chance of saving their financial skins.

In order to save their political skins they need to replace the social housing with even more units somewhere else.
And lets not forget there will be City & Provincial (and likely Federal) elections before they are all sold off, so it won't surprise me if the Olympic Village is an election issue, as will all the other Olympic-related cost-overruns that are discovered after the Olympic party is over.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:40 PM

And then everyone will be super upset at the NDP bidding for the games at all?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:51 PM

Judging by the commentary in this thread, I propose the theme to "The Dark Knight" as the unofficial theme to the olympics. I'm no video-jockey, but is someone out there looking for a project?? How about dubbing that music over top of images of the security "fortifications" now and during the games.

I had the "fortunate" timing of visiting Quebec City during the Franophone summit (including President Sarkozy). I was absolutely floored by the number of green uniformed army personnel standing around the city. There was a helicopter floating about the Quebec Legislature, with an armed gunman hanging out. I had never seen that kind of security anywhere in Canada before, but I had a feeling it was a good sneak preview of what was to come.

(hey are there anti-aircraft missile batteries out yet?)

Old Posted Feb 1, 2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Just hang around the 4100 block West 4th. You should have no problem seeing lots of camouflaged uniforms (if they want you to see them)
That's the HQ for the operation. But you won't see soldiers with guns on the street.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 5:08 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
I saw them installing a few on top of the Alex Fraser last week.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 7:19 PM

From the BBC:

Quote:
Despite the issue with Cypress, these Winter Olympic Games should be spectacular. It's been snowing heavily in Whistler, where the alpine and nordic skiing take place, and the scenery in both Vancouver and Whistler is fantastic.

In order to capture these memorable images, and to provide a sense of the geography and location of the venues, BBC has teamed up with the US broadcaster NBC to shoot some dramatic aerial footage.

The helicopter, complete with gyro-stabilised camera has been flying over the last couple of days, and we hope that the pictures will greatly enhance the BBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics which begin on 12 February.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sportedit..._olympics.html

You just can't buy that type of advertising. There's literally a ton of positive media coming out worldwide.

Quote:
The mountains have been spruced up, the pistes groomed to perfection, the trees have been wrapped in thousands of tiny lights and the cobbled, pedestrian town scrubbed to Disney-esque levels of quaintness.

Even the road from Vancouver has been rebuilt. The air of excitement and anticipation at the Canadian ski resort of Whistler is electric as the Winter Olympics opens for business next week.

For all the incredible skiing (Whistler Blackcomb is consistently voted the world's No.1 ski area), there's no escaping the ten-hour flight, followed by the near two-hour drive from Vancouver airport. But there's none of the queues of Europe, better food than the U.S. and wide-open skiable spaces, with snow almost guaranteed.

The other crucial point that sets Canada apart from the U.S. is the apres ski. Whistler may be a chi-chi resort, but it is also young and fun.

Yes, Whistler is a trek, but if you stay for more than a week, skiing in Canada is more cost-effective than Europe, with more nightlife and a better atmosphere than most U.S. resorts.

And the bragging rights of skiing the Olympic downhill run without falling will make up for the jet lag.

Beware: once you've skied Whistler, you'll be spoiled for ever more.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ous-style.html

Last edited by Stingray2004; Feb 7, 2010 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post

They should already be set-up. CF will be deploying mobile ADATS missile systems on tracked vehicles. The entire control system will be used, which can communicate with AWACS for incoming aircraft threats. The navy will also have frigates in Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet using their ESSM surface-to-air missiles. Tactical Control Radar -TPS 70 has also been set-up in Vancouver to provide target data for air force interceptors. This can track 500 targets up to sea level to 100k feet out to 275 miles.

- as for Alex Fraser bridge mentioned above. That must be a joke.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 8:58 PM

I think the most logical location for anti-aircraft missile batteries in the city would be atop Queen Elizabeth Park.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 9:07 PM

Wow, so you have to read the British media to know that Whistler exists and that it isn't a complete disaster. Nice.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 9:26 PM

haha

the australian news I saw they were reporting from whistler surrounded by snow

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 9:39 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
They should already be set-up. CF will be deploying mobile ADATS missile systems on tracked vehicles. The entire control system will be used, which can communicate with AWACS for incoming aircraft threats. The navy will also have frigates in Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet using their ESSM surface-to-air missiles. Tactical Control Radar -TPS 70 has also been set-up in Vancouver to provide target data for air force interceptors. This can track 500 targets up to sea level to 100k feet out to 275 miles.
Just in case Al Qaeda decide to use their F-15s... or is this for the Russians?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 2:01 AM

I know, really. Whatever bad guys are out there are probably already here but I guess the gov't needs to cover their asses so they don't get blasted by the opposition and media. But you never know, stranger things have happened and it's not out of the possibility a really small plane could be used as a weapon.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 2:29 AM

well the false flag people believe it will be an inside job because of the security company hired to do the games

lets hope nothing goes bad

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 12:04 AM
Dérive-r

One positive impact:

Quote:
Hotel rates drop in many Canadian cities except Vancouver
Rates are still high even though the Winter Olympics are over

Andrea Macpherson Mar 17, 2010 15:44:37 PM

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Even though the Games have come and gone, Vancouver is still so popular hotel rates remain high. That's not the case for other destinations. The March 2010 Hotwire Canadian Hotel Rate Report has found hotel prices have dropped throughout most of the country. Calgary tops the list with a drop of 10 per cent over one year ago.

Wendy Underwood with Tourism Vancouver says you shouldn't expect to see Vancouver prices to decline anytime soon. "There's a certain amount of interest the destination has garnered, resulting from hosting the Olympic Winter Games. All of those things drive demand. The more demand there is, the less you're going to see prices discounted."

Edmonton, London and Ottawa also made the top five list with drops of seven, two and one per cent.
By Andrew Macpherson, News1130
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...cept-vancouver

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 12:19 AM

Well, hotel rates around the World have dropped significantly in the last two years (Vancouver included). They are starting to make a rebound, now, as is the price of airfare.

The special deals hotels and airlines were offering were both quite amazing. The recession was a GREAT time to travel

I don't see how they can make any assessment quite yet, seeing as how the Paralympics aren't officially over.

Anywho, Vancouver may come out ahead based on its growing World reputation as a "Destination" city, and not a city you visit as a byproduct of being nearby.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]