HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 3:29 PM

Thanks alexjon. What do you think about the spacing of stations between 410 and 1604? I'm thinking the bus service might need to be beefed up on Wurzbach and Huebner particularly since those corridors serve the Med Center and USAA respectively.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:10 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Thanks alexjon. What do you think about the spacing of stations between 410 and 1604? I'm thinking the bus service might need to be beefed up on Wurzbach and Huebner particularly since those corridors serve the Med Center and USAA respectively.
I think using 60' artics as a link between LRT/BRT and these locations would be an excellent move on their part. Run them during peak hours and use them to supplement high-use routes off-peak.

Editing my map to include theoretical stations

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:36 PM

Looks like Callaghan Rd would have to be upgraded east of Vance Jackson in order to get busses in there. Farther down VJ there appears to be a perfect spot for the "Connelly" station at the NE corner of VJ and 410

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:50 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Looks like Callaghan Rd would have to be upgraded east of Vance Jackson in order to get busses in there. Farther down VJ there appears to be a perfect spot for the "Connelly" station at the NE corner of VJ and 410
Haha, yes, I put in a Connally Station

I made stations at the foci of a half-mile radius in the most logical of places. Due to neighborhood proximity, some may be elevated, some in cuts, but mostly they'll be in the ROW with webbed access.

I think I picked the right ROW in Southtown... I hope.

Anyway, the map is done. Some stations have descriptions and there are shuttles shown.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 7:01 PM

Whoops, I must have been thinking of, uh, Jennifer Connelly when I spelled that

I'll have to wait til I get home from work to look at your finished map in depth, but it definitely looks good so far!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Alex, may I see said Google map?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:24 PM
James

I like it, it looks really good. I'm still stickin with Hildebrand, you can run it down Broadway to some side streets, which opens up Broadway as extensions go.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 10:40 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Alex, may I see said Google map?
It's back a page or two-- I don't have it readily available here

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Here's the map

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
It's back a page or two-- I don't have it readily available here
I completely missed it before.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Here's the map
Thanks.

Alex, great job.

Though, wouldn't it make more sense for the line to end at Military Hwy?

Also, what about a station somewhere in South Rim and then a final one at Military Hwy.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:24 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Thanks.

Alex, great job.

Though, wouldn't it make more sense for the line to end at Military Hwy?

Also, what about a station somewhere in South Rim and then a final one at Military Hwy.
Throwing in too many stations pushes up travel times. The post needs only one station, I reckon, since going to the other end serves no purpose since troop movements can be coordinated from a single stop.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:40 AM

So something like this wouldn't work?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 2:52 AM

I would think keeping it away from the main Rim entrance would minimize problems that might occur coordinating with street traffic.

Does anybody have an idea how much the per mile start-up costs might be reduced by using existing track and ROW instead of new construction?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:07 AM

Quote:
I would think keeping it away from the main Rim entrance would minimize problems that might occur coordinating with street traffic.

Does anybody have an idea how much the per mile start-up costs might be reduced by using existing track and ROW instead of new construction?
Yeah, having it run in front The Rim along 10 would be a mess also I don't think Thomas would want rail running across his development.

Keeping it on the UP rail to Military Hwy makes a lot more sense.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:08 AM

Quote:
I'd assume a lot less. Also, with UP and the Military supporting this, it'd would be much easier to get done.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 5:16 AM

Who would want to walk across that sea of asphalt anyway right?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, having it run in front The Rim along 10 would be a mess also I don't think Thomas would want rail running across his development.

Keeping it on the UP rail to Military Hwy makes a lot more sense.
If you don't count the regular blasting that goes on in the active quarry the rail line would go to terminate at military. I think the terminus AJ has on his map is the most likely, as that point had been previously served by rail to camp stanley in years past and a lot of bullis' operations occur on that back part of the base. The terminus on military hwy still isnt on bullis yet- remember that there is 2 or 3 miles of non-bullis land between 1604 and bullis- with Eisenhower Park taking up part of that land. So either you'd have to go through the untouched land the quarry hasn't gotten to yet just to get to a point where you run the line on non-existent ROW through a pristine and beautiful (i'm sure full of the warbeler) city park and you are still outside the gates of bullis. Why would the military drop that cash to still not make it to their front door and have to ferry troops and materials by vehicle? Going around to the back of the post on the existing ROW where they can terminate on land they already have that already has some infrastructure to handle rail makes the most sense to me.

As for Thomas Ent/the Rim- Find me a developer on the planet who has a property that size who wouldn't want rail bringing all those potential passengers to their property. Notably the only one in the city that would be served by rail. Do you have any idea what they would do to tenant rents? Hell, I live across the street from the rim and I'm sure they'd jack up rents here, just to be able to say it was in walking distance to lightrail services. I wont even by the argument that Thomas wouldn't want it because the shoppers that might come from along the route aren't upscale enough. This is SA- I've met all 14 of the upscale people here and they shop at the same places the rest of us do. Plus, the Rim isn't what I'd actually call upscale. It has Old Navy, JCPenny's and a Micheal's craft's store for God's sake. Those are all over town. Hardly upscale.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
If you don't count the regular blasting that goes on in the active quarry the rail line would go to terminate at military. I think the terminus AJ has on his map is the most likely, as that point had been previously served by rail to camp stanley in years past and a lot of bullis' operations occur on that back part of the base. The terminus on military hwy still isnt on bullis yet- remember that there is 2 or 3 miles of non-bullis land between 1604 and bullis- with Eisenhower Park taking up part of that land. So either you'd have to go through the untouched land the quarry hasn't gotten to yet just to get to a point where you run the line on non-existent ROW through a pristine and beautiful (i'm sure full of the warbeler) city park and you are still outside the gates of bullis. Why would the military drop that cash to still not make it to their front door and have to ferry troops and materials by vehicle? Going around to the back of the post on the existing ROW where they can terminate on land they already have that already has some infrastructure to handle rail makes the most sense to me.

As for Thomas Ent/the Rim- Find me a developer on the planet who has a property that size who wouldn't want rail bringing all those potential passengers to their property. Notably the only one in the city that would be served by rail. Do you have any idea what they would do to tenant rents? Hell, I live across the street from the rim and I'm sure they'd jack up rents here, just to be able to say it was in walking distance to lightrail services. I wont even by the argument that Thomas wouldn't want it because the shoppers that might come from along the route aren't upscale enough. This is SA- I've met all 14 of the upscale people here and they shop at the same places the rest of us do. Plus, the Rim isn't what I'd actually call upscale. It has Old Navy, JCPenny's and a Micheal's craft's store for God's sake. Those are all over town. Hardly upscale.
Very good points. However, I think you missed understood me.

I completely agree about Thomas wanting the line to run through his property and in both Alex and I's line, it does, mine is just in the southern, more residential and commercial area while Alex's goes directly in front of the development.

My position is that I think Thomas would have a problem with the train blocking traffic every time it went through. Who knows, I could be completely off and he's fine with it. But let's say he is, would that be the best thing? After it stops, people will get out and well, have to walk across an asphalt jungle. If only the light rail where going through their before The Rim was designed, it could have probably been a really cool new urbanism type development.

P.S.

No one here has called The Rim upscale, nor should they. Even when The Village is built, it'll still be a massive power center. A 2 million square foot power lifestyle center overshadows a 300,000 square foot mixed-used Upscale Village.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 1:44 PM

Yeah, no one is saying that dumping all those people at the Rim's front gate is a bad thing, just that it could tie up traffic at the main entrance. Then again, we're not talking a half-mile long freight train here, so it probably isn't that big a deal. The bigger deal is what's been mentioned: putting people within walking distance of stores within a car-centric development. Ideally, I suppose the rail line would route right through the middle of the village, but given that LRT is in its extremely early stages of development and the village is in its very late stages (or even under construction at this point, I don't know), that would be impossible, I'm sure.

The primary focus should probably be what TLG was saying, which is getting troops where they need to be at Bullis. After all, the whole reason this is being floated as an idea is because of concerns over troop transportation.

Last edited by oldmanshirt; Aug 8, 2008 at 5:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio