HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:15 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
I meant under construction and proposed only. I believe NYC has more 1000+ proposals on the table right now, three at the WTC alone, two on far west side, BofA and NYTimes that come to mind immediately.
Kind of. Things are done differently in Chicago than New York. We don't really make threads for things we don't have very official confirmation of (ie that we have renders and a serious propoal) as opposed to "this lot was sold and this developer wants to build something.

If we used the New York system, we would have three more proposal-rumors. These would include Pelli's Wolf Proposal, Smith's Franklin Proposal, and Smith's Zero Energy tower. These being the ones that have gotten some press. There should be other serous rumos as well (somone like Pandemonious of Bvic would know), I'm just not in the Loop enough(fig and lit ) to know.

I think both cities are doing very well right now and bringing some great new quality to the table.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 3:21 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I think both cities are doing very well right now and bringing some great new quality to the table.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Kind of. Things are done differently in Chicago than New York. We don't really make threads for things we don't have very official confirmation of (ie that we have renders and a serious propoal) as opposed to "this lot was sold and this developer wants to build something.

If we used the New York system, we would have three more proposal-rumors.
Keep your "Chicago system" in Chicago. New York could care less what threads you have or don't have. I can never understand Chicago forumn members obsession with constantly trying to stack up to New York. Be excited about what you have. Being Chicago doesn't mean you have to be New York.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Not to exact scale, but a comparison of the two 34th Street designs...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenapolis View Post
I like this tower, but at the same time find it boring. It does not look like a 1000 footer to me.
Guess it depends on perspective also. Here's a comparison of a similar rendering (also not to scale) that gives an idea...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:58 PM
World Machine

This will be the ultimate canyon entrance.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:13 PM

avoiding a city vs city, there's no denying that New York is at least growing, having added a million people since 1990 (the city, not the metro). These people will need places to work and live, and land is scarce, so that means going up, up, up...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
This will be the ultimate canyon entrance.
BTW, the largest of those towers on 34th has yet to be revealed. Then there's the entire railyard development that has to be revealed as well. Who knows what the dominant tower will be?...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
avoiding a city vs city, there's no denying that New York is at least growing, having added a million people since 1990 (the city, not the metro). These people will need places to work and live, and land is scarce, so that means going up, up, up...
That was the thinking behind the Hudson Yards redevelopment. Things seem to be moving along faster than the 30-year-span thinking of the city. I guess we have to take into account that things will eventuall slow down for a couple of years (as they always do).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:22 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
BTW, the largest of those towers on 34th has yet to be revealed. Then there's the entire railyard development that has to be revealed as well. Who knows what the dominant tower will be?...
That's the beauty of those two towers (Sherwood not confirmed heightwise). They are just the tip of the iceburg of whats to come. Most cities would be happy to get just one of those buildings. For NYC their just the begining.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:23 PM
World Machine

Quote:
I guess we have to take into account that things will eventuall slow down for a couple of years (as they always do).
The 1990's.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:55 PM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 3, 2007

The site looking east on 34th Street. The red brick building on the left is on the site of
the planned park and Hudson Boulevard that will seperate this tower from Sherwood's planned giant...

A passing glance into the pit...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:56 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
The 1990's.
The 80's didn't seem so hot either.

BTW, thanks for the pics NYGUY!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 9:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post

BTW, thanks for the pics NYGUY!
No problem. There was a lot of space built in the 80's that led to problems in the 90's. That in turn led to things going relatively quiet for a while, which is why we're in the predicament we are now - new space being gobbled up almost as quickly as it comes on the market. There always has to be a certain amount of space available.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 9:23 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
They were and weren't. Some well know buildings that went up in that decade were the WFC, 7 WTC, 1 Worldwide Plaza, The IBM Building, The AT&T Building, 1585 Broadway, The Lipstick Building.

The early 90's (90,91) weren't as bad. You had the completion of the WFC, some build up around Times Square (Bertlesman, 1585 Broadway), and 712 Fifth Avenue. After that, things started going down hill.

I would say NYC's building booms were:

1920-1939
1959-1990
2002-Present

The 40's and 50's were more like innovative years (seagram, UN, Lever House, 100 Park Avenue, Time Life, and some others of 6th.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:19 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:29 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
You gotta figure someone will grab for the chance to put up New York's forever tallest tower, a 2,000 footer. If they can't overcome NIMBY opposition in the middle of an abandoned railyard, than New York will never have a 2,000 footer anywhere.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
You gotta figure someone will grab for the chance to put up New York's forever tallest tower, a 2,000 footer. If they can't overcome NIMBY opposition in the middle of an abandoned railyard, than New York will never have a 2,000 footer anywhere.
I agree they should combine the two buildings into one then add an architectural top. We need a 2000 footer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 PM
World Machine

Not 2,000 ft, 2,001 ft. Then NYC will have the tallest in the country.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 10:57 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
[img]Wow! They're going to loom side by side, veritable (dare I say it?) Twins...
Thats what I though when I saw that rendering. I garuntee people walking on the street next to these things when they are completed will have that thought of the WTC in their head.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction