HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Why do we need an observation tower? Just go to Four Seasons and buy a drink and one would get the same, if not better, view.
Yeah this is what I tell people. Go up to JG Skyhigh in Comcast 2. It's free. Of course it's not advertised as an observation deck but it's honestly much better

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 8:18 PM

I heard you need a reservation to get up there...or they probably won't let me up with my camera equipment. Does anyone have a slick suit I can wear?
But on the other hand Philadelphia City Hall has opened again this year! Observation deck time was recently extended too, but at a charge of $16 for adults

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 9:52 PM

I'd prefer to have a view that shows all of the core towers, rather than a few from one of them. I mean, I'll take what I can get, but one on the top of one of the not-gonna-happen towers would have been ideal.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:35 PM

Now that I agree with. The Laurel has a PERFECT view of the tallest towers, imagine if they got rid of their top floor penthouse for an observation deck. They would NEVER
Untitled by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 10:41 PM

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Why do we need an observation tower? Just go to Four Seasons and buy a drink and one would get the same, if not better, view.
It's good to have a place that the general public feels comfortable going for views. Plus, tourist money is good, especially with 2026 coming up.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I heard you need a reservation to get up there...or they probably won't let me up with my camera equipment. Does anyone have a slick suit I can wear?
But on the other hand Philadelphia City Hall has opened again this year! Observation deck time was recently extended too, but at a charge of $16 for adults
You don't need a reservation unless it's the weekend, and there isn't a dress code. I went in my "take Mom to the Art Museum" casual wear and there were no problems.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
While the observation deck at Philadelphia City Hall has a 360 degree view, it is small and also is not wheelchair accessible or accessible to many visitors with reduced mobility. This is why the observation deck at the top of One Liberty Place should be reopened. Also, why 3101 Market and the Transit Terminal Tower should have observation decks on their top floors if they are ever built.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 11:52 PM

Those towers are not confirmed, only visionary. Forgive me, but how many times does that have to be stated? There WILL be a building at 3101 Market Street, but it's NOT confirmed if it's a supertall. We should see soon though, as rezoning documents were posted a few months ago.

And I 1,000% agree about One Liberty Place. They have a gigantic elevator for the visitors, currently the tenants

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Those towers are not confirmed, only visionary. Forgive me, but how many times does that have to be stated? There WILL be a building at 3101 Market Street, but it's NOT confirmed if it's a supertall. We should see soon though, as rezoning documents were posted a few months ago.

And I 1,000% agree about One Liberty Place. They have a gigantic elevator for the visitors, currently the tenants
The Penn Mutual Tower had an observation deck open to the public from the 1960's until 1983 and it across from Independence Hall. Makes me wish One Liberty Place had an observation deck open to the public when it was first constructed rather than added in 2015. There was a missed opportunity for the Comcast Center and the Comcast Technology Center to have actual mass market observation decks open to the public when they were built in the 2000's and 2010's respectively as part of their construction. Certainly wish both Comcast Towers had an observation deck included as part of their construction.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 5:04 AM

Well back in January 2014 when the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center was revealed, they specifically stated an observation deck would be on the top floor. They gypped us! Because they secretly switched those plans during construction, and we didn't find out about the restaurant until the same year the building opened. If we got the American Commerce Center, we WOULD have an observation deck at a height slightly taller than the Comcast Technology Center itself. I have this conversation with many people, it seems like there is not a major demand for observation decks in the city, but a pretty presentable demand. They should make the top two floors of The Drake an observation deck, imagine those views!

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Well back in January 2014 when the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center was revealed, they specifically stated an observation deck would be on the top floor. They gypped us! Because they secretly switched those plans during construction, and we didn't find out about the restaurant until the same year the building opened. If we got the American Commerce Center, we WOULD have an observation deck at a height slightly taller than the Comcast Technology Center itself. I have this conversation with many people, it seems like there is not a major demand for observation decks in the city, but a pretty presentable demand. They should make the top two floors of The Drake an observation deck, imagine those views!
The PSFS Building also had an observation deck open to the public on the top floor when it was first built in 1932. Also, why did the plans for the Comcast Technology Center change from an observation deck to a restaurant.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
The Penn Mutual Tower had an observation deck open to the public from the 1960's until 1983 and it across from Independence Hall.
Funny you say that.

Philadelphia skyline 1988 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

This image I purchased captured in 1988 seems to be taken from the Penn Mutual Building!

And for the CTC, I PRESUME the change was made for...money. And of that's true, that makes no sense. Putting an expensive restaurant on top of the tower instead of a public observation deck on the tallest tower, I still feel like the second option would make more money compared to what they have now. But that not my call, nor am I a professional with business

Last edited by TK2001; May 21, 2024 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Funny you say that.

This image I purchased captured in 1988 seems to be taken from the Penn Mutual Building!

And for the CTC, I PRESUME the change was made for...money. And of that's true, that makes no sense. Putting an expensive restaurant on top of the tower instead of a public observation deck on the tallest tower, I still feel like the second option would make more money compared to what they have now. But that not my call, nor am I a professional with business
I certainly wish One Liberty Place had it's observation deck included as part of it's construction in the 1980's, not added in 2015. Also, do you know if an observation deck was considered as part of the original construction for One Liberty Place in the 1980's, considering that the Penn Mutual Tower had a deck from the 1960's until 1983. Furthermore, do you have any source on the plans for the observation deck on top of the Comcast Technology Center. Furthermore, this link to the Comcast Technology Center on this forum back when the building was first announced called for a restaurant, not an observation deck even at the very beginning of the project.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=209240&page=5

Last edited by ArchGuy1; May 22, 2024 at 12:14 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Funny you say that.

That pic is a trip! Thanks for posting.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:48 AM

Quote:
I have this conversation with many people, it seems like there is not a major demand for observation decks in the city, but a pretty presentable demand. They should make the top two floors of The Drake an observation deck, imagine those views!
Doing my best to not dox myself, but I work in a position in which I routinely engage with visitors to the city, and they're often looking for an observation deck. I usually recommend City Hall or Jean-Georges at CTC.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Doing my best to not dox myself, but I work in a position in which I routinely engage with visitors to the city, and they're often looking for an observation deck. I usually recommend City Hall or Jean-Georges at CTC.
You are 100% the guy at McGillins who dresses as Ben Franklin.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:36 PM
Chris

Quote:

Sorry to keep this going, but you really think an observation deck is more financially lucrative than a fancy restaurant (in the Four Seasons nonetheless)?

Another observation deck would be great (bring back 1 Liberty Place), but Jean-Georges & JG Sky High are big money makers and filled a marketplace gap for a high-end rooftop dining experience.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; May 22, 2024 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:37 PM

Exactly why I ended the paragraph with "I'm not a professional with business". Architecture and construction is my passion, not companies and revenue

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Sorry to keep this going, but you really think an observation deck is more financially lucrative than a fancy restaurant (in the Four Seasons nonetheless)?

Another observation deck would be great (bring back 1 Liberty Place), but Jean-Georges & JG Sky High are big money makers and filled a marketplace gap for a high-end rooftop dining experience.
While these towers are currently only concepts, this is another reason that should the Transit Terminal Tower and the supertall plan for 3101 Market Street be built, they should have mass market observation decks on their top floor similar to what One Liberty Place had.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations