HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:36 PM

Is there any serious talk about re-activating the North-South Rail Link project? I think it should be much much higher on Amtrak and New England states priorities. I could see inviting New Hampshire and Maine to pitch in some of the money to finance the tunnel in exchange for enhanced train services, like running some Northeast Regional trains all the way to Concord and Portland.
Meanwhile you could extend the Downeaster all the way to Bangor and/or Augusta.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

To be completely honest I'm not sure the single-seat benefits of a link would outweigh the extreme cost. I see Boston as the logical northern terminal of the majority of east coast travel and I'm not convinced the lack of Boston through running is really THE impediment to better north-of-Boston service. A better invesment would be bread and butter investments between Boston and Maine like track speed increases and an exploration of electrification.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
To be completely honest I'm not sure the single-seat benefits of a link would outweigh the extreme cost. I see Boston as the logical northern terminal of the majority of east coast travel and I'm not convinced the lack of Boston through running is really THE impediment to better north-of-Boston service. A better invesment would be bread and butter investments between Boston and Maine like track speed increases and an exploration of electrification.
Boston to Montreal via Concord, White River Junction and Burlington would be a worthwhile route to study too. Being able to have every other train for that service (or the Downeaster for that matter) originate at either Boston South or Boston North would allow for a lot more frequency of service northwards than what happens now.

Also the benefits for local commuters in terms of flexibility of residence would also be a massive game changer in and of itself ... connecting Boston North and South would open up vast new work-home commute options in the region.

Southern NH would benefit enormously from having those two stations connected. And Maine seems to be fairly bullish on train expansion so to be able to have more direct connections to the rest of the Amtrak network with the connector would seem to be good for Maine residents and visitors too.

You could also maybe even have some DownEaster trains go down as far as Providence too.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:11 PM
Show me the blueprints

The benefits to MBTA commuter rail would obviously be a conversation worth having, but again I think the amount of passengers passing through downtown Boston wouldn't be enough to justify it's extreme cost. Plus a transit connection in the form of Green Line trolley/Orange Line/Red Line already connects them, even if it is less than ideal.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation