HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I liked Alberta. The sad reality is that aside from Montreal and Southern Ontario, Canada feels empty and devoid of economic opportunities. (Compared to Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana which I've been exploring: pick any random small town and the list of famous people, inventions, industry there vs small town Canada, especially in the West, is astonishing. Eg. Meadville PA.)
Alberta has the strongest economy in Canada, and Calgary has been outgrowing Ottawa for the last 25+ years. The statement about Western Pennsylvania/Ohio/etc. makes no sense at all, considering that area is part of the rust-belt, and most towns and cities are in decline.

Quote:
Ottawa Gatineau (the Quebec side does feel more like Alberta, overall less prosperity and more frontier vibes) simply has the infrastructure, architecture, history, mixed employment opportunities that makes me think this is an ambitious city that will eventually become Canada's third largest.)
Ottawa-Gatineau has gone from #4 to #6 in population since the beginning of the 21st century. There is zero chance it outpaces the two Alberta metro areas, let alone Vancouver, with almost double the population.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 12, 2024 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
There's no way to predict 20-30 years into the future let alone 70 years "
Depends on what. I predict that in 70 years, the Maple Leafs will still not have won another Stanley Cup...

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
The only real question: will an independent Quebec result in it ironically becoming an official bilingual country, with business English mandatory for survival?
It is pretty much like that now (not in official status, but in practice). The question is will Québec be an unilingual English society. Independence would help prevent that, it is not that sure if it stays inside a more and more centralized Canada.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:08 PM
recession proof

Ottawa benefits from an independent Quebec while Alberta much less so. Ottawa has dozens of skyscrapers in development and an extremely vibrant downtown. I'm going to say it also has a better location. It's a shame Calgary isn't located closer to the Rockies, say where Cochrane or Turner Valley is.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The movement of people to Alberta in search of afforable housing has been well documented in recent years. Affordability - or rather, the unaffordability of BC & Ontario - is now it's primary driver of growth, rather than economic prospects.

Of course, much like Canada as a whole, when population growth vastly exceeds economic or job growth, unemployment inevitability rises.
There is definitely truth to this. It doesn't mean Alberta is doing badly, but it's economic performance hasn't been stellar either, most importantly relative to other provinces. In booms past, they benefitted from downturns in other provinces to create a "push" factor that drove migrants out, which they needed because the "pull" factor was high wages, but that alone wouldn't necessarily be enough. Especially for lots of east coasters, the pull was super appealing, but it was the "push" out of the east due to poor economies that really sealed the deal for many. And that's been demonstrated over the last few years, the net gains from the east coast had dropped a lot. There were always better jobs and better money in AB, even when the Maritimes came out of the stagnation they didn't have the economic strength+wages of AB. But it didn't matter, there was more to the story, which was basically people would be OK with earning less if it meant they could stay in their home region and work and get by decently. In the 90s and 2000s/early 10s, the differential was too big to ignore, but many were not happy about the move. Hence why the whammy of a relatively poor economy from 2015-2021 and an improving economy for the Maritimes really put the brakes on that migration exchange. The last few quarters have seen the east coast losing to AB again, but that isn't an indication of a return to the old days.

Same with BC, historically BC lost to AB when AB was booming and conversely BC was in the doldrums (ie. late 90s and early 200s). But for much of the last 20 years, BC has been high in interprovincial migration, so AB wasn't successfully siphoning off people. I think that's what is different now, and what Monkey Ronin was thinking of. While affordability differentials have always been a factor, it is now THE factor for BC and ON at least. Of course people can have other things that contribute here and there, but the point is that the economy is not the decider anymore, it is inability to live in their preferred province that is causing both push and pull. So that is a very different scenario than what we're used to, and the stats seem to confirm that. You can't put all the blame of AB's stubbornly higher unemployment to large immigration flows. First of all, a booming economy is able to absorb quite a lot, hence why previous AB booms produced record low unemployment rates while still receiving record migration, so more migration does not necessarily equal higher unemployment. Second, although AB's growth has been high, it's accompanied by record high growth in most provinces at the same time. So while interprovincial losses from BC and ON to AB have accelerated recently, the international is so high that it's masking a lot of it in a way never seen before (same is true for basically every province right now). And yet they haven't experienced stubbornly high unemployment, so booming international migration isn't the culprit. What it possibly points to is that people moving to AB from BC and ON are doing so for the affordability first and foremost, and not necessarily better jobs anymore. The wage gap has narrowed quite a lot, and economic performance is not on fire the way it used to be. But the lure of cheaper housing is so acute today, it is more than enough for many people, with or without a job prospect.

Just to show what I mean, here's some of the StatsCan figures in more detail:

Year over year % change by province

Alberta
Labour force 5.0%
Employment 3.8%
Full-time employment 3.2%
Unemployment 24.7%

Nova Scotia
Labour force 3.7%
Employment 4.0%
Full-time employment 4.7%
Unemployment -0.6%

Newfoundland and Labrador
Labour force 2.1%
Employment 2.8%
Full-time employment 3.3%
Unemployment -4.7%

British Columbia
Labour force 3.3%
Employment 3.3%
Full-time employment 3.3%
Unemployment 2.4%

So AB certainly is not doing badly, but those figures are also not indicative of a boom, at least in the historical sense. I chose these 3 provinces because they have historically been much weaker than AB. But these stats show that by some metrics, they are doing better than AB. Both NS and NL had more employment growth than labour force growth, despite also getting a migration surge (for NS at least). And both recorded a decline in unemployment. Then BC, where labour force and employment growth were identical, meaning the economy produced sufficient jobs for the population surge. And unemployment growth was a relatively small 2.4%, compared with unemployment up 24.7% in AB. Is it that BC is magically shedding just the right amount of unemployed people and giving them to AB? No, a big chunk of people moving away from BC are people with good jobs, a decent lifestyle, and basically are doing it because of the cost of housing, all other factors are just gravy. But this is certainly not the AB story of pre-2015, when it was the clear winner in every economic metric across the board.

AB is doing much better than ON and QC still though, at least in terms of labour markets:

Year over year % change by province:

Quebec
Labour force 1.5%
Employment 0.6%
Full-time employment -0.2%
Unemployment 22.1%

Ontario
Labour force 3.0%
Employment 1.1%
Full-time employment 1.1%
Unemployment 37.5%

These stats are not great by any measure, and while they might be temporary, it is important to keep an eye on them nonetheless. So while unemployment rates always get the most attention in these reports and in media in general, I have always found other stats like the ones posted to be more illustrative of economic conditions (hence why I didn't list them alongside, but here they are anyways:

BC - 5%
QC - 5.1%
NS - 6.1%
ON - 6.8%
AB - 7%
NL - 9.1%

Nothing that remarkable, with the exception of Quebec. It has been consistently near the bottom or at the bottom for lowest unemployment rate in the country, very impressive especially compared to years/decades past. But it hasn't translated into much economic growth either, it's a low unemployment rate, but with slow job growth, it's a bit of a riddle. It's definitely a tale of two truths, which aren't normally associated with each other (low unemployment and low employment growth). I included the "Full time" figures because it is often used by economists in conjunction with the other stats to give more depth to the story. It reaffirms the strong figures from the Maritimes and BC, where full time growth (seen as a good barometer of economic health) either matched or exceeded overall employment growth (it did in Ontario too, which is a positive, just the number was a lowly 1.1%. And Quebec full on lost full time employment y/y, that's a bit concerning (not panic mode or crisis level, but something to take seriously).

Jeez I am so sorry for the disgustingly long post, I tend to get so engrossed in some of these topics I just keep writing and writing, and even then I'm editing myself lol, I could do double this but it's already way too much for one post. Hopefully some people made it through the whole thing lol #statgeeksunite

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:55 PM

I'm pretty sure Manitoba has the lowest or one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country at the moment.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Ottawa benefits from an independent Quebec while Alberta much less so. Ottawa has dozens of skyscrapers in development and an extremely vibrant downtown. I'm going to say it also has a better location. It's a shame Calgary isn't located closer to the Rockies, say where Cochrane or Turner Valley is.
Really? I've lived here for 40 years and have yet to find it. Calm and comfortable would seem more accurate.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 1:41 AM

Ottawa feels like Times Square compared to Calgary in my experience, to be frank.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
I'm pretty sure Manitoba has the lowest or one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country at the moment.
It is tied with QC for 2nd lowest. BC is strangely back to being the lowest at 5%. But as I said, in some ways unemployment rates are not the best measure of economic health, so take it for what it's worth

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Ottawa benefits from an independent Quebec while Alberta much less so.
Would Ottawa stays the capital if Québec separates? It would be pretty close to the border.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Ottawa feels like Times Square compared to Calgary in my experience, to be frank.
I’d agree with that. I think the idea that Ottawa is going to eat Calgary’s lunch in terms of growth is pretty…not correct. But Ottawa’s inner city has reasonable levels of foot traffic and urban activity, at least during daylight and early evening hours.

By contrast, I visit Calgary often—three times in the past 12 months— and its inner city neighborhoods seem to have gone if anything slightly backwards in terms of foot traffic. It feels no livelier than when I lived there 20 years ago, despite the city overall doubling in size. I was last there in January, and there was one particularly warm, sunny Saturday before a forecast frigid stretch, when I would’ve expected neighbourhoods to be buzzing. It was borderline desolate everywhere from Kensington to 17th and everywhere in between. If we’re looking at street life, foot traffic, general vibrancy and consistently busy neighbourhoods spread over a large-ish area, cities as small as Victoria or Halifax easily best Calgary. No shade to Calgary—there’s lots about Calgary I envy, not least having a functional, dedicated rapid-transit system with high ridership.

Still, I certainly don’t see Ottawa overtaking the Calgary metro in growth in anything like the near or medium term.

Inglewood in Calgary is the exception to the above, however—a neighbourhood that’s unequivocally busier now than in living memory. It’s great to see it—the city’s most historic neighbourhood, it finally has some real foot traffic now, which was always very scarce in years past.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 2:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
Would Ottawa stays the capital if Québec separates? It would be pretty close to the border.
I imagine there would be a DMZ buffer, taking a chunk out of Quebec.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 3:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I imagine there would be a DMZ buffer, taking a chunk out of Quebec.
Over Acajack’s dead body.......

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 3:22 AM
sick transit, gloria

As someone who grew up in Calgary, lived in Ottawa for university and visits often (in-laws live there) I agree it can paradoxically feel bigger than Calgary. Calgary has the impressive skyline and infrastructure but Ottawa’s inner-city is generally much more urban and livelier. CBD aside but the neighbourhoods surrounding it are nicer than Calgary’s IMO. It’s not necessarily a popular opinion but I feel like other forumers who grew up in Calgary and moved elsewhere feel similarly.

Agreed about Inglewood as posted above though. It was pretty desolate when I lived there but has become a real urban neighbourhood. It has the best historic bones in the city, which isn’t surprising as it’s the oldest one, and has finally come into itself.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 3:48 AM
recession proof

I spent a morning in Inglewood before going to the bird sanctuary and I found it depressing, at most maybe how the Junction (Toronto) felt 15 years ago.

Functionally, it does remind me of Dundas East in London. I know y'all hate it, but downtown London and Calgary are very similar, aside from the residential streets and sheer density of office buildings. Both feel like once great cities allowed to decay, then intensified by suburban oriented developers and planners. It's unfortunately happening in downtown Toronto today.

Edmonton, I've said before, is a more successful Winnipeg. It suffers from C Tier thinking. You don't revitalize a downtown by knocking down historic buildings, hoping some developers build skyscrapers.

Ottawa has parts that feel like this urban renewal/ignorance too. Tearing down old buildings on Bank Street to put up generic condo buildings for example.

In general, all new developments in the suburbs across Canada have really declined in architectural quality since the 1980s. It's sad: an historic opportunity to build a beautiful large city squandered by greed.

Re: the rust belt.

It is Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary that feel like 1990s rust belt cities. Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are becoming incredibly vibrant and especially Cleveland has attractive modern infill development. Buffalo at least has a large collection of beautiful 1920s-60s office buildings, offset by the rundown eastside rivaling much of Winnipeg.

Much of Canada feels like a Greyhound Station: seedy, rundown and thank god you can always catch another bus out of town. So, it's either Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, with maybe Ottawa nowadays.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 12, 2024 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 3:52 AM
sick transit, gloria

The Junction circa 2010 isn’t actually a bad analogue to Inglewood. Though the former has much more impressive buildings. It wasn’t gentrified like today but I had great times in the Junction back then - Margret was a fave bar of mine. Movie nights and cheap beers.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 4:08 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

A few observations from the live population clock as of May 11, 2024:
- NB less than 150k from 1M.
- MB only 10k from 1.5M.
- AB about 120k from 5M.

http://https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71-607-x/71-607-x2018005-eng.htm

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Over Acajack’s dead body.......
A couple (at least) of threads are decidedly different without Acajack's presence. I wonder if he experienced any withdrawal symptoms?

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 2:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A couple (at least) of threads are decidedly different without Acajack's presence. I wonder if he experienced any withdrawal symptoms?
He's probably busy agitating for the Galapagos independence from Ecuador.......

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:

Re: the rust belt.

It is Winnipeg, Edmonton and Calgary that feel like 1990s rust belt cities. Detroit, Cleveland and Pittsburgh are becoming incredibly vibrant and especially Cleveland has attractive modern infill development. Buffalo at least has a large collection of beautiful 1920s-60s office buildings, offset by the rundown eastside rivaling much of Winnipeg.

Much of Canada feels like a Greyhound Station: seedy, rundown and thank god you can always catch another bus out of town. So, it's either Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal, with maybe Ottawa nowadays.
This is a really bizarre take; I don't understand this at all, as someone who has spent significant time in all the Canadian and American cities you've mentioned.

The growth in any of the above Canadian cities far, far, far exceeds the American cities mentioned. Each city has tremendous construction and infrastructure investment. The American cities mentioned sunk to depths so far below anything we've ever seen in Canada as to be unfathomable. And now that they've slightly rebounded, or bottomed out, they are leading the Canadian cities growing by 10k+ people annually? Ludicrous. The most desolate stretch of Edmonton CBD has more street life than 75% of downtown Cleveland, Detroit, etc. Edmonton, Calgary, and Winnipeg have each built their new tallest skyscrapers in the last decade, this feels to you like American cities that were literally burning and crumbling in the '90s?

What a bizarre take.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada