HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:13 PM

Fence up and ready to open. Too bad Ansley Mall hasn't done anything yet.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:02 PM

Beltline Southside Trail bridge located along United Avenue for segment 4&5.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/reeve...member_desktop

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:10 PM

Wow. Beautiful, clean operation there. Are those steel spans for where rail will one day go and the rest will be for pedestrians and be less heavy duty? Or am i reading this wrong.

Old Posted May 12, 2024, 5:18 PM

No my understanding is they built the foundation for eventual rail bridge but the span for transit won't be built until the transit in general is.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
No my understanding is they built the foundation for eventual rail bridge but the span for transit won't be built until the transit in general is.
Oh, ok. So what we see here is the pedestrian portion.

thanks!

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:05 AM

Ran the east side from Ansley Mall to Reynoldstown and back Saturday.

Looking south were The Beltline is.......well on the Beltline (right of way). So looks like parking won't be affected.

Looking north where The Beltline.....well diverters from the Beltline (right of way).

Last edited by Julien; May 13, 2024 at 10:22 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 10:14 PM

Looks like the Bridge to Ansley Mall will be ATL's replacement for the "Bridge to Nowhere" for at least a while. Also there has been no work on only of the buildings or area in the back.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Looks like the Bridge to Ansley Mall will be ATL's replacement for the "Bridge to Nowhere" for at least a while. Also there has been no work on only of the buildings or area in the back.

Why aren't the colors of the bridge and railings unified? The entire bridge is sky blue, while the walkway railings are gray. Couldn't the colors at least be unified to gray?

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchKid View Post
Why aren't the colors of the bridge and railings unified? The entire bridge is sky blue, while the walkway railings are gray. Couldn't the colors at least be unified to gray?
A little variation in color is nice. Not everything needs to be gray.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:24 PM

https://beltlineorg.wpenginepowered....DL-5.22.24.pdf

The 10th and Monroe intersection is currently targeting a closure of 06/09-06/14 to complete the redo of the road surface portion of the intersection including the installation of the raised intersection

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:51 AM

Quote:

The 10th and Monroe intersection is currently targeting a closure of 06/09-06/14 to complete the redo of the road surface portion of the intersection including the installation of the raised intersection
I guess the implication is the Monroe/Kanuga intersection will be signalized too? Or else there will be no signal for the main Beltline trail!

This sure seems like an elaborate re-do for an intersection that will have to be fully rebuilt again for the Monroe complete street project due in a year (I hope?!).

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I've never seen that document, it's awesome. Thanks for posting it!

I didn't realize there was a segment along Peachtree Creek under construction already, that'll be nice to explore once open. The connection from there to the NET through Armor Yards will be interesting to say the least.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
I guess the implication is the Monroe/Kanuga intersection will be signalized too? Or else there will be no signal for the main Beltline trail!

This sure seems like an elaborate re-do for an intersection that will have to be fully rebuilt again for the Monroe complete street project due in a year (I hope?!).
Yes the document shows signals for Kanuga

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Yes the document shows signals for Kanuga
I see it now--I was looking through the document on my phone.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:05 PM

Atlanta BeltLine to begin transforming Monroe Drive intersection

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...struction.html

Quote:

Next month, ABI plans to start construction on an overhaul to Monroe Drive at its intersection with Kanuga Street, 10th Street and an entrance to the Eastside Trail. The nonprofit provided the update during a Wednesday meeting.

The project would add a raised intersection with new crosswalks, pedestrian signals, traffic signals and a plaza. A bike crossing will feed into a new entrance to the Eastside Trail, allowing cyclists to move between a bike lane on 10th Street and the trail.

One of the crosswalks will provide a direct link from the Eastside Trail to the Northeast Trail, which is partially open with other pieces under construction. ABI is anticipated to complete the remake of the intersection in September.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:37 PM

Saw that last night and it is pile of confusion (and maybe $hit too). First on pic one I hate the orientation since I have to flip my brain around, but OK BeltLine centered. Now what the F'n hell is this and looks like a mess. Seems like it will be as dangerous and maybe more so that it is now. Certainly looks more confusing. It looks like cars will be able to Stop ON the BeltLine and block since the car Stop lines are on both sides of the BeltLine. It also seems to indicate the entire intersection will be raised so all the front overs will still be intimidatingly tall over VRUs. What the hell is the point of that? You want the VRU's to be raised up on the crossing area only so they are more visible and have an air of superiority to compensate for the "I'm in a truck and VRU's are just insects". Also there are just too many VRU crossing for people in cars to digest. Right there in a small area you have SEVEN VRU crossings. That is just too much. Are others seeing this?

Also related. Yesterday on a run and lo and behold I was hit by a taxi (my 3ed time hit by a car running in ATL, luckily all minor). He decided to turn right on red as I was crossing. I hit my "brakes" and started backpedaling and the taxi side view mirror clipped my hand. So I literally and figuratively have SKIN IN THE GAME.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:17 PM

I think it's fantastic, I give it a 9 out of 10. About time too, they've been promising this for almost a decade.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:29 PM
Back on the road again

I had to google "raised intersection". Who knew?

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Saw that last night and it is pile of confusion (and maybe $hit too). First on pic one I hate the orientation since I have to flip my brain around, but OK BeltLine centered. Now what the F'n hell is this and looks like a mess. Seems like it will be as dangerous and maybe more so that it is now. Certainly looks more confusing. It looks like cars will be able to Stop ON the BeltLine and block since the car Stop lines are on both sides of the BeltLine. It also seems to indicate the entire intersection will be raised so all the front overs will still be intimidatingly tall over VRUs. What the hell is the point of that? You want the VRU's to be raised up on the crossing area only so they are more visible and have an air of superiority to compensate for the "I'm in a truck and VRU's are just insects". Also there are just too many VRU crossing for people in cars to digest. Right there in a small area you have SEVEN VRU crossings. That is just too much. Are others seeing this?

Also related. Yesterday on a run and lo and behold I was hit by a taxi (my 3ed time hit by a car running in ATL, luckily all minor). He decided to turn right on red as I was crossing. I hit my "brakes" and started backpedaling and the taxi side view mirror clipped my hand. So I literally and figuratively have SKIN IN THE GAME.
Just you... This will force drivers to slow the F down or fuck their car up. Go to downtown Decatur to see how it works in action as they have one already. As long as the grade to go from road to raised intersection is steep enough, drivers will have to slow down. In addition this intersection has a pedestrian scramble where pedestrians cross separately from any car traffic limiting conflicts as it is.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:

I’ve seen it recommended to cross intersections at walking speed, whether on a bike or on foot, as that’s generally what drivers are looking out for. It might not be the answer you’re looking for but it might keep you from getting hit a fourth time.

As for the intersection design being discussed-the density of crossings will act as a traffic calming measure, and that’s something I welcome in any form on Monroe Drive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta