HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Man, I’m trying to do a building taller than ten storeys and it’s freaking everyone out. Contractors are debating who has the crane. Is there another project in the city using it.

I think Winnipeg is just not equipped to built high rises so we don’t.
Just take the crane from Sutton Place, they aren't using it. That'll be $10,000 for my contracting fees.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:33 PM
What could go wrong?

Just a tid-bit of info on that Sutton Place crane that had the jib removed. Apparently it wasn't due to the proximity to the new Wawanesa Building, rather there was a portion of the jib that was cracked.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:13 AM

I don’t like the cut of that jib

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
I think one of the main factors that drives height is population. While there are obviously a ton of factors like construction costs, market rents, and interest rates, one factor will be more population = greater financial justification to build higher.

The Nashville Metro is more than double Winnipeg's. Take a look more locally. How many 100 meter proposals do you see floating around for Quebec and Hamilton, which are closer to Winnipeg's population than Nashville? I'd say we're seeing similar levels of development compared to our Canadian peers.

It could also be that here in Canada, much of the development community is waiting for anticipated decreases in interested rates and/or housing accelerator fund subsidy programs to begin operating before heading to the drawing board.
Hamilton has 16 buildings proposed over 100m and another 6 currently under construction. Québec on the other hand has 0 in the works over 100m.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Hamilton has 16 buildings proposed over 100m and another 6 currently under construction. Québec on the other hand has 0 in the works over 100m.
So, if Hamilton has 16 buildings proposed over 100m with another 6 currently under construction then something is truly wrong here in Winnipeg.
A city soon to be 1 million population needs to think bigger.
Is it that we are a cheapskate city per reputation? And willing to accept developments by builders having substandard design finishes on buildings and be content to look & think small even in building height?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
So, if Hamilton has 16 buildings proposed over 100m with another 6 currently under construction then something is truly wrong here in Winnipeg.
A city soon to be 1 million population needs to think bigger.
Is it that we are a cheapskate city per reputation? And willing to accept developments by builders having substandard design finishes on buildings and be content to look & think small even in building height?
Hamilton is probably a beneficiary from the insane Toronto housing costs. Aside from that, they probably have an inferiority complex with TO.

It's like that in Alberta with Edmonton. Deep down, all of it's citizens are aware that Calgary is a much better city. So they build a skyscraper that has to be slightly larger than Calgary's tallest. It's the same with Edmonton's Ice district, Klondike Days, Whyte Mile in 2006, or the LRT system.

All inferior to the Calgary versions. When your city's greatest claim to fame is is having a huge mall, and nicknames itself "City of Champions," it all one really needs to know about the place, especially in comparison to it's superior southern provincial rival.

Then again, Calgary is the greatest large city in Canada, hands-down.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 7:34 AM
surely you agree with me

Calgary is what, now?!!!

I would definitely take issue with that ranking. Ha ha.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 7:49 AM
surely you agree with me

Anyways. To divert this conversation. I can’t say what they are, but I’ve landed three really nice projects in the last month. 700 residential units in total. I now have almost 1500 residential units on my desk. All fuelled by the federal government housing strategy in some way. People don’t realize how much it is pushing housing growth, especially in a high interest rate environment.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Anyways. To divert this conversation. I can’t say what they are, but I’ve landed three really nice projects in the last month. 700 residential units in total. I now have almost 1500 residential units on my desk. All fuelled by the federal government housing strategy in some way. People don’t realize how much it is pushing housing growth, especially in a high interest rate environment.
Great news. Location wise, anything high profile/central?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Hamilton is probably a beneficiary from the insane Toronto housing costs. Aside from that, they probably have an inferiority complex with TO.

It's like that in Alberta with Edmonton. Deep down, all of it's citizens are aware that Calgary is a much better city. So they build a skyscraper that has to be slightly larger than Calgary's tallest. It's the same with Edmonton's Ice district, Klondike Days, Whyte Mile in 2006, or the LRT system.

All inferior to the Calgary versions. When your city's greatest claim to fame is is having a huge mall, and nicknames itself "City of Champions," it all one really needs to know about the place, especially in comparison to it's superior southern provincial rival.

Then again, Calgary is the greatest large city in Canada, hands-down.
It's Montreal and its not even close. Best city on the continent except maybe NYC.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
It's Montreal and its not even close. Best city on the continent except maybe NYC.
Let’s not forget Mexico City though. My top 5 in NA would prob be NYC, Mexico City, Montreal, San Francisco, and Winnipeg of course (serious answer would be either Chicago or Toronto)

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 2:14 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Great news. Location wise, anything high profile/central?
All three.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:11 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
I dunno. I hear Lincoln, Nebraska is low-key the best city in the world, and they're keeping it that way by keeping it low-key.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I lived in Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. Montreal is absolutely my favourite of the three.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:19 PM
surely you agree with me

I have nothing against Calgary. They are doing some good things. It is definitely getting better.

To me, it is an example of skyscrapers not being an indicator of overall urban quality. Personally I think the city lacks a bit of character and soul. It doesn’t have many great mixed-use neighbourhoods or tree-lined streets. Downtown is largely just a business district. For the most part, it really only offers a single lifestyle choice - suburban and car oriented. I don’t think you can rate any city as great if it doesn’t offer a true diversity of lifestyle options. As has been mentioned here, Montreal as an example is able to do this very well.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Man, I’m trying to do a building taller than ten storeys and it’s freaking everyone out. Contractors are debating who has the crane. Is there another project in the city using it.

I think Winnipeg is just not equipped to built high rises so we don’t.
litz going under cause of fraud by a staff sure didnt help things

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:31 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
All three.
when thy allowed tease us haha but look forward to what comes down the stream

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:41 PM

Glad to hear the Housing Accelerator is in fact helping accelerate the housing

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
All three.
Take about a tease. Can we get a hint, pretty please? It's my birthday (allegedly)...

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
I have nothing against Calgary. They are doing some good things. It is definitely getting better.

To me, it is an example of skyscrapers not being an indicator of overall urban quality.
I think to many people this is exactly what they look at when evaluating a city. It's what catches the eye first, it's a sign of prosperity (at least for some) and the tower lights look great at night.

I'm not against seeing high-rises in Winnipeg; in fact I'd love to see a few more in the downtown. But personally I think the city would lose something if the downtown became a jumble of densely clustered skyscrapers.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan