HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 9:56 PM

Montgomery Park Area Plan - MPAP

From the Portland Mercury: https://www.portlandmercury.com/news...TKdHbXKNn7BBJ0

Quote:
May 8, 2024 at 11:15 am
Industrial Northwest Redevelopment Plan Includes Streetcar Extension and Housing
The Montgomery Park Area draft plan envisions a new neighborhood in an underutilized part of the city.
TAYLOR GRIGGS

A rendering of the Montgomery Park plan, complete with streetcar extension. CITY OF PORTLAND

Northwest Portland has seen significant changes over the last several decades. The Pearl District and Slabtown neighborhoods, formerly dominated by industry, are now some of the city’s chicest enclaves—with an impressive number of affordable housing developments and public transit options to boot.

But Northwest Portland's transformative projects have mostly remained south of NW Vaughn Street, leaving a lot of formerly-industrial land underutilized. Enter the Montgomery Park Area Plan (MPAP), a joint venture out of the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) and Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS). The plan proposes land use and transportation changes to effectively create an entirely new neighborhood west of Highway 30 between NW Vaughn and NW Nicolai streets.

The plan area. CITY OF PORTLAND

For public transit enthusiasts, the MPAP’s biggest draw is its proposal to add 1.3 miles of new Portland Streetcar track alongside NW 23rd Avenue to Montgomery Park. But what good is a new streetcar line if there’s no destination to travel to? That’s where the land use changes come in. Ultimately, planners envision a neighborhood with thousands of new housing units, more job opportunities, increased green space, and other amenities.

That’s a stark contrast to what the area looks like today. Right now, the Montgomery Park plan area is defined by its eponymous building, the historic warehouse and the former home of the Montgomery Ward department store. The building is now best known for its iconic roof sign and housing the Adidas Employee Store. ESCO steel’s main production plant used to live just east of the Montgomery Park building, but since it closed in 2015, its former site is now mostly just a vacant lot.

(Mostly) empty parking lots in the NW Industrial Area. TAYLOR GRIGGS

The entire plan area has an abundance of pavement dedicated to car parking, most of which is hardly used. Compared to the hustle and bustle on NW 23rd just a few blocks south, the site surrounding the Montgomery Park building feels desolate, even in the middle of the day.

But all that is set to change.

What’s in the plan?

A potential new layout for NW Roosevelt. PORTLAND STREETCAR

While the Montgomery Park Area Plan proposed draft was just released in April, the plan has been in the works for a long time. Leaders from PBOT, Portland Streetcar, TriMet, and Metro have been considering parts of this plan since 2009, and the planning process really ramped up over the last six years.

Through that process, MPAP planners came up with the land use concept for the site, proposing the area be zoned for both industrial and transit-oriented, mixed-use development, on the east and west sides of Highway 30 respectively, buffered by NW Nicolai Street.

The MPAP draft proposal states the concept “strives to preserve active industrial land by limiting land use changes east of Highway 30.” The land use concept is also designed to “minimize conflicts between the new mixed-use area and existing heavy industrial areas” north of NW Nicolai Street using an “employment zoning buffer area” with a broad range of employment uses (beyond industrial) but no housing.

“Overall, the concept balances the need to retain industrial lands and jobs with the opportunity to create a vital new transit-oriented, mixed-use neighborhood with significant public benefits such as additional affordable housing and affordable commercial space,” the plan states.

The streetcar extension would run along NW 23rd Avenue and circulate through the plan area on a one-way parallel couplet along NW Roosevelt and NW Wilson streets. The plan also proposes extending NW Roosevelt, NW Wilson, and NW York Streets, as well as NW 25th Avenue, into the project area and eliminating the current “superblocks” which block connectivity in the area. Some of these streets will see other infrastructure changes—for example, the plan proposes building protected bikeways on NW Roosevelt and NW Wilson from NW 23rd to 26th Avenues, alongside the new streetcar track.

On NW Vaughn Street—which will serve as the transition street into the new Montgomery Park neighborhood from the south—the city wants to encourage more tree planting and will attempt to minimize freight travel through the area. Already, PBOT has placed new crossing infrastructure along NW Vaughn to make it safer to cross the street by foot or bike.

Vision for a burgeoning neighborhood
...(continues)

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:53 AM

I have truly no idea why they're proposing a streetcar route with no overhead wires in a district with no NIMBY opposition and a clean slate to work with. This would require the acquisition of new dual mode battery streetcars for just this route. It's unnecessary complication for minimal cost savings.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGlovesRule99 View Post
I have truly no idea why they're proposing a streetcar route with no overhead wires in a district with no NIMBY opposition and a clean slate to work with. This would require the acquisition of new dual mode battery streetcars for just this route. It's unnecessary complication for minimal cost savings.
By the time this is built, most of the fleet of streetcars will need to be replaced and they plan to go with battery electric versions. No idea what the savings are for not placing poles, wires, and the electrical support for this extension.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 6:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
By the time this is built, most of the fleet of streetcars will need to be replaced and they plan to go with battery electric versions. No idea what the savings are for not placing poles, wires, and the electrical support for this extension.
I'm guessing quite a lot because it also requires less planning: with battery power, all that is needed is tracks and stops. This might make expanding the streetcar easier to do, and could potentially go where light rail trains can't go.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:49 PM

I can’t help but think of a certain popular song by a group called Hanson whenever I see “MPAP”.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I'm guessing quite a lot because it also requires less planning: with battery power, all that is needed is tracks and stops. This might make expanding the streetcar easier to do, and could potentially go where light rail trains can't go.
I feel like you're describing a bus. Why don't they just build an FX line? Omit the wires AND the rail. $$$

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 7:52 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
I feel like you're describing a bus. Why don't they just build an FX line? Omit the wires AND the rail. $$$
Both have pros and cons: it would make sense to expand the streetcar for close in neighborhoods and then using FX buses for various connection points, including east/west and north/south routes.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:09 PM

Portland Streetcar provides additional information about off wire and battery technology they'll be implementing in this area. I've posted the info in the streetcar thread here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...7#post10205307

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I can’t help but think of a certain popular song by a group called Hanson whenever I see “MPAP”.
This now lives in my head everytime I see the MPAP thread.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Both have pros and cons: it would make sense to expand the streetcar for close in neighborhoods and then using FX buses for various connection points, including east/west and north/south routes.
I can see the pros and cons of an electric streetcar vs. a diesel-powered bus. But I'm not clear about the pros and cons of an electric streetcar vs. an electric bus. The bus would be quieter than the streetcar. It has less capacity, but you can just add more busses (this is actually more convenient for passengers *and* allows you to add more capacity as needed). And it's not obvious to me that the cost of the infrastructure and maintenance (charging, extra buses) is higher than that of a streetcar.

So what is a good reason to plan to for more streetcar lines instead of electric buses?

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I can see the pros and cons of an electric streetcar vs. a diesel-powered bus. But I'm not clear about the pros and cons of an electric streetcar vs. an electric bus. The bus would be quieter than the streetcar. It has less capacity, but you can just add more busses (this is actually more convenient for passengers *and* allows you to add more capacity as needed). And it's not obvious to me that the cost of the infrastructure and maintenance (charging, extra buses) is higher than that of a streetcar.

So what is a good reason to plan to for more streetcar lines instead of electric buses?
The permanence of the streetcar line and built infrastructure is a greater catalyst for development than a bus line with minimal infrastructure that can be moved or disconitued at the whims of the transit agency...or so they say.

Here's a PSU study from 2017 that dives into this: https://ppms.trec.pdx.edu/media/proj...evelopment.pdf

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 9:35 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Comments on the Plan

Comments in this thread have focused on the Streetcar expansion. How about some discussion of the MPAPlan? Following are draft comments from the NWDA planning committee:

Areas in the MPAP that are proposed to be rezoned will eliminate existing affordable commercial and incubator spaces. Leave the areas alone and the existing zoning as is.

The MPAP area is a dead end from a transportation planning perspective. It doesn’t need one-way and specialized streets. Provide general purpose, typical streets that have the flexibility and versatility that is actually needed in the area.

Much of the MPAP area is proposed to be upzoned, increasing the land’s value by up to 10 times. There is no proportional public benefit being proposed. Provide dedicated public parks and open space and other elements of public infrastructure to justify the granting of this private windfall.

The areas east of 24th Ave and south of Wilson currently provide ‘naturally occurring’ affordable commercial and incubator spaces, both City goals. The MPAP proposes to upzone the areas, affectively eliminating their ability to continue to provide the workshop and ‘maker’ spaces that are critical to Portland’s economic future. Leave the areas alone and the existing zoning as is.

The MPAP area is not in the middle of the City, it is a dead end from a transportation planning perspective. The MPAP proposes to create one-way and specialized streets that may be appropriate elsewhere but are not necessary or appropriate here. Provide general purpose, typical streets that have the flexibility and versatility that is actually needed in the area.

Much of the MPAP area is currently zoned for IH heavy industrial uses. The MPAP proposes to rezone the area to EX central employment uses. The upzoned land’s value is up to 10 times greater than the existing value. There is no proportional concurrent public benefit being proposed, nor is there an identified hardship associated with the zone change. Provide dedicated public parks and open space and other elements of public infrastructure to justify the granting of this private windfall.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 10:47 PM

What a bleak and depressing letter.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
What a bleak and depressing letter.
Please explain yourself.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

You can also add more streetcars, so the capacity is still greater with streetcars. But to answer your question as to which is better, they are both good options and it isn't one or the other. A city like Portland can have an extensive streetcar system and have dedicated electric bus routes and BRT in the city and metro, as well as expanding the MAX to create more urban hub zones (something this metro should be aggressive with the existing potential hubs.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Comments in this thread have focused on the Streetcar expansion. How about some discussion of the MPAPlan? Following are draft comments from the NWDA planning committee:

Areas in the MPAP that are proposed to be rezoned will eliminate existing affordable commercial and incubator spaces. Leave the areas alone and the existing zoning as is.

The MPAP area is a dead end from a transportation planning perspective. It doesn’t need one-way and specialized streets. Provide general purpose, typical streets that have the flexibility and versatility that is actually needed in the area.

Much of the MPAP area is proposed to be upzoned, increasing the land’s value by up to 10 times. There is no proportional public benefit being proposed. Provide dedicated public parks and open space and other elements of public infrastructure to justify the granting of this private windfall.

The areas east of 24th Ave and south of Wilson currently provide ‘naturally occurring’ affordable commercial and incubator spaces, both City goals. The MPAP proposes to upzone the areas, affectively eliminating their ability to continue to provide the workshop and ‘maker’ spaces that are critical to Portland’s economic future. Leave the areas alone and the existing zoning as is.

The MPAP area is not in the middle of the City, it is a dead end from a transportation planning perspective. The MPAP proposes to create one-way and specialized streets that may be appropriate elsewhere but are not necessary or appropriate here. Provide general purpose, typical streets that have the flexibility and versatility that is actually needed in the area.

Much of the MPAP area is currently zoned for IH heavy industrial uses. The MPAP proposes to rezone the area to EX central employment uses. The upzoned land’s value is up to 10 times greater than the existing value. There is no proportional concurrent public benefit being proposed, nor is there an identified hardship associated with the zone change. Provide dedicated public parks and open space and other elements of public infrastructure to justify the granting of this private windfall.
not coordinated in any way...

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
not coordinated in any way...
Another one-liner comment.

Is the Streetcar the only aspect of MPAP to discuss? What about the vision for that area as it redevelops? What about the future of Montgomery Park?

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Another one-liner comment.

Is the Streetcar the only aspect of MPAP to discuss? What about the vision for that area as it redevelops? What about the future of Montgomery Park?
I can't speak for others, but those comments are repetitive and suggest nothing more than keeping the area as is.

The purpose of the project is described in the plan. "Initial analysis completed as part of the MP2H Strategy found that shifting employment trends and large vacant or underutilized sites presented an opportunity to re-envision much of the area as a more intensely developed mixed-use and transit-oriented district in an area close the Central City, while emphasizing the development of affordable housing and employment space."

The plan leaves a large chunk of land in the area industrial, so I'm not sure why rezoning the 50 acres of mostly vacant land is a big deal. There is a public park of 1 acre planned, so I don't get the comment suggesting that there's no public benefit. Also, dedication of public streets is a public benefit. The streets are probably one-way to accommodate streetcar without having it sit in traffic - this is not different from south waterfront. In fact, I'm guessing there were similar comments about South Waterfront not being in the center of downtown and not needing one-way streets.

As with most Portland planning efforts, everything seems to be thought out in exhausting detail and looks good, but seems to take forever to get approved. I think this process started in 2019 in earnest. The streetcar extension will be a a good direct connection to downtown and hopefully TriMet's lines 77 and 15 continue to serve the area, so overall, quite a bit of transit service will be provided. The extension of streetcar, new public streets with ample pedestrian and furnishing zones, the park, and more density all seem like a recipe for success and will provide more opportunities for Portland to grow.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I can't speak for others, but those comments are repetitive and suggest nothing more than keeping the area as is.

The purpose of the project is described in the plan. "Initial analysis completed as part of the MP2H Strategy found that shifting employment trends and large vacant or underutilized sites presented an opportunity to re-envision much of the area as a more intensely developed mixed-use and transit-oriented district in an area close the Central City, while emphasizing the development of affordable housing and employment space."

The plan leaves a large chunk of land in the area industrial, so I'm not sure why rezoning the 50 acres of mostly vacant land is a big deal. There is a public park of 1 acre planned, so I don't get the comment suggesting that there's no public benefit. Also, dedication of public streets is a public benefit. The streets are probably one-way to accommodate streetcar without having it sit in traffic - this is not different from south waterfront. In fact, I'm guessing there were similar comments about South Waterfront not being in the center of downtown and not needing one-way streets.

As with most Portland planning efforts, everything seems to be thought out in exhausting detail and looks good, but seems to take forever to get approved. I think this process started in 2019 in earnest. The streetcar extension will be a a good direct connection to downtown and hopefully TriMet's lines 77 and 15 continue to serve the area, so overall, quite a bit of transit service will be provided. The extension of streetcar, new public streets with ample pedestrian and furnishing zones, the park, and more density all seem like a recipe for success and will provide more opportunities for Portland to grow.
Thank you for a thoughtful comment.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:22 PM
Mostly Up To Code

Quote:
Well I'm game.

Quote:
Why? We have a glut of commercial space and a dramatic lack of housing. I'm mostly only familiar with my neighborhood, the Pearl, but there are currently over 100 empty storefronts. I'm no urban planner, (maybe that's why it's obvious to me), but the balance of people and workplaces is way out of whack in this part of town.

Quote:
The public benefit is homes. I can think of no greater thing to offer a person than a chance to live in a good neighborhood.

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude, but anybody who thinks Portland's economic future is going to be built on "workshop[s] and 'maker' spaces" has dramatically lost track of what is happening in the real economy. And again I say, we desperately need more homes. I would gladly trade maker spaces for homes. Sometimes this is about prioritization.

Quote:
I feel like the Portland Streetcar is a pretty significant piece of public infrastructure this neighborhood will be getting. That said, I'm all about parks, and if somebody offered me the trade of "build the same number of units, but higher, and use the freed-up ground space for a park" I'd take that trade.

Turning a hollowed-out industrial area into homes connected to transit is a huge win and a reflexive "no but the land might have value now" is a deeply disappointing response.

I didn't comment about it throughout, but I also find the repeated attempt to cast this area as "not a part of the city" and a "transportation dead-end" as bizarre. The reason it doesn't feel like part of the city now is because it's heavy industrial! The whole point is to change that to expand the livable area of the city. I don't understand this pushback even a little bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland