HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Are you not yet aware of The Phil Collins Collection? It's been the impetus for the whole Alamo Plaza redevelopment.
I live in Beantown. I've been back to SA a lot lately, but I don't get the local news (except from youse guys... thanks.)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:18 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
And why on earth would they put the garage on the side facing the mall and closest to the Alamo entrance? The garage and museum should switch places. In fact, the museum should wrap around the garage as in so many 5-over-1 apartment buildings.
They are putting the garage there because there is already a garage entrance there. It makes the most sense to have it on that street and move cars in and out of that area which already has them. I think this design is the best solution regarding what is given.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 2:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
They are putting the garage there because there is already a garage entrance there. It makes the most sense to have it on that street and move cars in and out of that area which already has them. I think this design is the best solution regarding what is given.
You mean the Rivercenter Mall? Good point.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I live in Beantown. I've been back to SA a lot lately, but I don't get the local news (except from youse guys... thanks.)
How dare you live outside my bubble.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
How dare you live outside my bubble.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:21 AM

UTSA to buy property next to School of Data Science downtown from GrayStreet

https://www.expressnews.com/business...vmgKS5Ig5WEu5x

The University of Texas as San Antonio wants to buy a cluster of dilapidated buildings and parking spaces next to its School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center as it seeks to expand its holdings downtown and draw more students to its technology programs there.

The university would buy the 1.5-acre property along South Flores Street between Nueva and Dolorosa streets from a company affiliated with San Antonio firm GrayStreet Partners.

The UT Board of Regents is scheduled to vote Thursday morning on authorizing the acquisition, which encompasses buildings totaling 68,500 square feet, including one that was once Kallison’s Western Wear, and a parking lot with 125 spaces.

It fits with UTSA leaders’ aim to have 10,000 students living, attending classes and conducting research across the roughly 32 acres that the university owns downtown by 2028, said Corrina Green, UTSA’s associate vice president of real estate, construction and planning.

“Having the opportunity to acquire the remaining portion of that entire block was very attractive to us,” Green said. “It makes sense as a real estate transaction, but it really helps us with our goals as we look at expanding our footprints around all three of our campuses downtown.”

It’s unclear what the university would pay for GrayStreet’s property, which the Bexar Appraisal District values at $7.7 million. The price is not to exceed fair market value as determined by an independent appraisal, the Board of Regents’ agenda states. Green said a price has not been determined....

The buildings to be bought carry a local historic designation, though as a state entity UTSA is not subject to local jurisdictions. Green said the university is still researching and assessing the buildings, which are in poor condition, and considering whether the facades could be preserved and maintained.

UTSA has not made plans for the site, other than to use it as public parking for now, Green said. The transaction is expected to close in several months....

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 12:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
UTSA to buy property next to School of Data Science downtown from GrayStreet

https://www.expressnews.com/business...vmgKS5Ig5WEu5x

The University of Texas as San Antonio wants to buy a cluster of dilapidated buildings and parking spaces next to its School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center as it seeks to expand its holdings downtown and draw more students to its technology programs there.

The university would buy the 1.5-acre property along South Flores Street between Nueva and Dolorosa streets from a company affiliated with San Antonio firm GrayStreet Partners.

The UT Board of Regents is scheduled to vote Thursday morning on authorizing the acquisition, which encompasses buildings totaling 68,500 square feet, including one that was once Kallison’s Western Wear, and a parking lot with 125 spaces.

It fits with UTSA leaders’ aim to have 10,000 students living, attending classes and conducting research across the roughly 32 acres that the university owns downtown by 2028, said Corrina Green, UTSA’s associate vice president of real estate, construction and planning.

“Having the opportunity to acquire the remaining portion of that entire block was very attractive to us,” Green said. “It makes sense as a real estate transaction, but it really helps us with our goals as we look at expanding our footprints around all three of our campuses downtown.”

It’s unclear what the university would pay for GrayStreet’s property, which the Bexar Appraisal District values at $7.7 million. The price is not to exceed fair market value as determined by an independent appraisal, the Board of Regents’ agenda states. Green said a price has not been determined....

The buildings to be bought carry a local historic designation, though as a state entity UTSA is not subject to local jurisdictions. Green said the university is still researching and assessing the buildings, which are in poor condition, and considering whether the facades could be preserved and maintained.

UTSA has not made plans for the site, other than to use it as public parking for now, Green said. The transaction is expected to close in several months....
The facades of those buildings are very cool and definitely worth preserving.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4241...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 12:54 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

What fantastic news. I'm sure it will be a while before anything happens since these buildings weren't originally part of their master plan for the downtown campus, but it's great UTSA just keeps pushing further east into the core.

It truly is wild how UTSA gone from barely having like a few architecture classes at its ignored downtown campus to being maybe the biggest player in downtown revitalization right now. Good for them, imo this is by far the most important thing happening for bringing locals back downtown.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:49 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Those facades are wonderful historic fine grained urbanism and should not be razed for a parking lot. Sorry, but I am not buying that they are in bad shape and that preserving them would be difficult—sounds lime developer-speak to me because they look like they’re in perfectly preservable shape.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Those facades are wonderful historic fine grained urbanism and should not be razed for a parking lot. Sorry, but I am not buying that they are in bad shape and that preserving them would be difficult—sounds lime developer-speak to me because they look like they’re in perfectly preservable shape.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Like**** not lime. Oops.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio