HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 8:54 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
..The Liberals need to scale back permanent immigration. But what they really need to cut are the number of low-skill temporary foreign workers, and the exploding number of visa students enrolling in low-quality college and university programs that are selling not education, but the legal right to come to Canada, to work in Canada and to reach for the ultimate prize: Canadian citizenship.

Business will scream. Universities and colleges will scream. Left-wing activists will scream. Let them. The majority will nod in quiet agreement. And in the long run, Canada’s economy will be better off.
This is so racist. The only people who support this are fascist/communist/CPC. Only racist bigots vote for the CPC

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 9:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I can't remember the exact figures but if you look at the fabled population clock you will see immigration moving up much more slowly than nonpermanent residents. I wonder if permanent immigration really is that elevated or needs to be cut. One question is how much permanent immigration would be needed if there were a good level of appropriately skilled TFWs.

There's another separate question around rights for people who come here. There isn't anything wrong with allowing people to come work here for a while and not giving them the right to vote or pick party leaders, just as there's nothing wrong if a Canadian goes and teaches English in Japan for a year but doesn't get to vote there. Many people who get caught up on this seem to have somewhat incoherent views. For example one belief "bundle" in Canada is that European settlement is evil and we should give land back to indigenous people but also anybody should be able to come here from around the world and vote.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Again, another spot-on piece in the Globe & Mail:

The Liberals are lowering carbon taxes and raising immigration. They should do the opposite
TONY KELLER
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO
FOR SUBSCRIBERS

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...x-immigration/
Really hit the nail on the head. Thanks for posting. This is exactly how I feel. And any party that actually put forward this policy would have my vote.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Nov 4, 2023 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

At least the Americans have a foundational mythology (right down to little George and his axe), and a manifest view of the country's destiny that they can rally around (no matter how jingoistic and false). They are self righteous to a fault.

Canada on the other hand is a marriage of convenience. Whatever foundational mythology we ever had (standing up to the Americans and carving a brave alliance to maintain our independence) has fallen to viscious recriminations over settler culture and colonialism. We have become increasingly ashamed of ourselves.

I mean, what's the friggin' point................
Canada today has done a much better job at dealing with colonialism issues and its Indigenous peoples compared to the U.S.. Some people only get information from SJWs in the media and assume that most Indigenous people think alike which is the furthest thing from the truth.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
There is a lot of growth potential in resources. Worldwide investment in Oil and Gas has increased significantly. There is a race for minerals. We need to sort out our regulatory environment and we will see a boom. A conservative government can cut red tape on reflex. Harder will be aligning incentives for provinces and Indigenous groups. Especially the latter need carrot and stick to get real benefits not just preferential contracts and at the same time turn off the taps of endless unaccountable money. They certainly aren't the only group clamoring for more money while blocking projects that would fill government coffers but they are one of the loudest.
Again, you see certain things in the media but it often doesn't portrait reality very well. There are so many mining and forestry projects in Northern Ontario that have started and with First Nations excited about them happening and without opposition. But it doesn't make for exciting news for the general public.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 11:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Some people only get information from SJWs in the media and assume that most Indigenous people think alike which is the furthest thing from the truth.
There's been a blending of a few minority rights issues with political parties and sometimes political platforms get presented as the views of the minority. In BC if you pay attention you'll sometimes see progressive and environmentalist causes presented as being "what indigenous people want". For example, there was an argument that indigenous people don't want pipelines because of the environmental impact. Setting aside the question of whether the pipelines are good or bad, the views in different First Nations people or bands varied and I get the sense it depended more on the basic economics than what was portrayed (similar to how most people with day-to-day concerns like their job, housing, or kids would look at it).

You see it in all sorts of areas, like in 2SGLBTQQIAWTFBBQ+ issues where it kinda feels like if you're gay you're supposed to be in some community and the community comes along with a bunch of progressive political stances. Media outlets in the US will sometimes talk about so-and-so's gay card being taken away because they are Republican.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
The problem with "Canadian culture" is that it's basically Ontario culture....and no one could tell you what that even is lol

We've had Nordic Ohio setting the terms...and this is the result.
Southern Ontario culture is often called "Canadian" by the people who live there.
And I laugh when GTA people think something is so Canadian even though it only pertains to that area.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Again, you see certain things in the media but it often doesn't portrait reality very well. There are so many mining and forestry projects in Northern Ontario that have started and with First Nations excited about them happening and without opposition. But it doesn't make for exciting news for the general public.
Same thing in Saskatchewan and especially BC.

There is a significant transition that is happening. Long-term it is a positive.

These indigenous business and either community owned or locally owned and with a very long term focus.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Really hit the nail on the head. Thanks for posting. This is exactly how I feel. And any party that actually put forward this policy would have my vote.
But you altered the headline....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
But you altered the headline....
My mistake. Didn't realize I fat fingered an edit in there. Fixed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 2:48 AM

I just read that Globe opinion piece. I'm not sure what the right number of annual immigrants should be but I like that a lot of immigration is being targeted towards smaller places that actually need people.

The article mentions how with fewer immigrants wages would rise. But my question is what would our inflation rate be with fewer newcomers? It seems that many countries with lower immigration rates are experiencing higher rates of inflation.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 2:52 AM

Quote:
I just read that Globe opinion piece. I'm not sure what the right number of annual immigrants should be but I like that a lot of immigration is being targeted towards smaller places that actually need people.

The article mentions how with fewer immigrants wages would rise. But my question is what would our inflation rate be with fewer newcomers? It seems that many countries with lower immigration rates are experiencing higher rates of inflation.
I think that generally speaking the rapid rise in immigration (beyond what the economy can absorb) is fuelling inflation.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
my experience of crappy food isn't really in small town Ohio though - it's in large tourist areas too.

Generally, look at the difference, say, Guelph, and Kalamazoo, Michigan. Similar size towns and neither are particularly touristy.

Guelph's top ten list on Yelp includes:

1. french
2. gastropub (i.e. high quality american)
3. thai
4. italian
5. korean
6. italian
7. italian
8. british pub
9. bbq
10. japanese

https://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=rest...c=Guelph%2C+ON

Kalamazo includes:

1. American
2. american
3. "modern european" (looks to be mostly pasta)
4. american
5. american
6. italian
7. southern soul food
8. american breakfast
9. cheese / deli
10. american

https://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=rest...ALAMAZOO%2C+MI

It's a very stark difference. there is barely any selection in Kalamazoo outside of "american" food - i.e. greasy burgers, fried chicken, and pizza.

This extends well into touristy areas and even larger cities where the overwhelming number of options is american restaurants with varying qualities of burgers, fried chicken, and pizza. Maybe barbeque or mexican if you want to spice it up a little. To get away from it you have to be in the northeast or California, basically.
I've been to probably at least half of the top ten restos listed there for Guelph, and most of them are pretty disappointing and not worth the rating.. I guess there is indeed variety, but the quality is less than desirable.

Generally I've found Ontario cuisine outside of the GTA to be pretty disappointing in general, very bland lack of flavours, quality just isn't there. It's a much better culinary experience in small town/rural Quebec and BC.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
This is more reflective of regional demographics than a generalizable trend trend across Canada and the USA. Guelph is a part of the much larger KW metro area which itself is essentially the part of the GTA at this point. At the very least a large portion of its population are students from the GTA. You’re not going to find great food in Thunder Bay or Nanaimo, whereas there are plenty of good food options in Kennewick Wa.

The food in KW generally isn't that great, a steep drop from what the GTA offers, so I wouldn't really consider it part of the GTA's culinary orbit. While studying there, definitely heard a lot of grumbling about the mediocre food options, and it hasn't really improved that much since.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Germans know how the world works. One of my sons was briefly looking at doing graduate work over there, and many universities offered programs solely in English (and for nearly free!!!)

Contrast that with LeGeault's recent antics in Quebec which threated McGill's status as a great world university.
No, it does not. All Legault did is raised McGill's fees to reflect that it is a great world university. From what I understand, it will be in the same price range as the University of Toronto. Add to that that Montréal cost much less than Toronto to live in, the new fees are still quite a bargain.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
No, it does not. All Legault did is raised McGill's fees to reflect that it is a great world university. From what I understand, it will be in the same price range as the University of Toronto. Add to that that Montréal cost much less than Toronto to live in, the new fees are still quite a bargain.
It is close to what U of T charged out of province for some specialized programs. It is about double what U of T charged out of province for Arts or Sciences.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 9:35 AM

Quote:

Not all inflation is equal. High immigration brings wage suppression and housing inflation, which hurts the working class. Low immigration spurs wage inflation and reduces housing inflation which benefits the working class, but hurts capital. I personally don't care how the McCain's and Irving's do.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
The food in KW generally isn't that great, a steep drop from what the GTA offers, so I wouldn't really consider it part of the GTA's culinary orbit. While studying there, definitely heard a lot of grumbling about the mediocre food options, and it hasn't really improved that much since.
You're missing the point. It may be a drop from the GTA. But it is better than the average American town (at least in border states).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
You're missing the point. It may be a drop from the GTA. But it is better than the average American town (at least in border states).
Better than it would be in a comparable U.S. city (at least in range of options) and, I would have said, quite good overall. Apart from the traditional food culture, there are a good number of fine dining options and increasingly interesting ethnic offerings. And, of course, Langdon Hall.

Edit: Way off topic here. Should probably shift it over to the Canadian catch-all.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Nov 4, 2023 at 12:50 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 1:27 PM

A few questions I've been pondering ...

Did the liberals really refuse a public inquiry into the trudeau foundation's ties to Chinese interference and instead unilaterally assign a special rapporteur who is a lifelong trudeau friend and board member of the trudeau foundation?

Did JT really start a diplomatic dispute with a country that is: the most populous in the world, top 5 in economy and top 5 in military?

Did the liberal really invite a nazi to parliament and shower him with praise?

Have the liberals really given another country >$2B of Canadian's money since 2022?

Did the liberals really shut down RCMP testimony on JT blocking an investigation into the SNC Lavalin scandal right after the witnesses showed up?

Is the Arrive Can thing officially another scandal yet or just status quo corruption?

Did the liberals really grant relief on the cost of energy to only certain Canadians as a political ploy?

Are oranges called oranges because they're orange? Or is orange called orange because oranges are orange?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada