HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:53 AM

Just thought that I’d repost my comment of June 27th in the Saskatoon Construction thread:

Quote:
Just last week (see attached link below), the Library Board doubled down on their assertion that Saskatoon's new Central Library is tracking on budget at $80M, as they've had similar budgets provided by their cost consultants. This project has been out for tender for about 3 weeks now and the general consensus in the industry is that the price will be in the $120M - $150M range. Questions have been formally submitted to the Owner's contract administrators asking for the process that will be followed when the tenders received are all significantly over budget. They simply reiterated their confidence in their budget and basically said that they will cross that budget bridge when they come to it. I guess we'll find out when tenders close on July 26th.

A $50M shortfall in the Library budget should go nicely with the City's similar operating budget shortfall forecast for next year.

Library Budget & Schedule update: https://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/c...hedule-update/

BTW, if you go to that page, make sure to check out the "design" tab on the left hand side of the page. It contains the Final Design Report and a video explaining the design. It really is a great building, with a very interesting structure & envelope. It's just not going to be $80M.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 4:31 PM
Peddling to progress

I would give a snowball's chance in hell to the library being completed in 2027. So whatever "plans to minimize service disruptions to library service" SPL makes, they better be workable for 5 years or more.

The only way the Central Library construction costs will be brought back in-line with the library budget, even with a 3% inflationary increase until the completion date, is with some heavy-handed value engineering. I really hope the SPL isn't forced to build a boring box with a bunch of spandrel and no imagination (or scrap a significant number of the functional spaces inside the library), but with no foreseeable gift of funds from the city or deflation of construction costs coming down the pipe, and with the pressure that will mount to "just build a replacement already" once the current central branch is vacated, I don't know how Saskatoon will still get its landmark central branch that would be a treasured community asset for the next 100 years or more.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 1:42 AM

NEW CENTRAL LIBRARY CONSTRUCTION TO START
May 2024

Quote:
Let the countdown begin!

The new central library will open at 321 2nd Avenue North in the summer of 2027. Our first step will be to remediate the site between July and September, and construction is scheduled to begin in October 2024.

We are hosting a groundbreaking ceremony at the new site on Tuesday, Jun 25 at 9:30 am. A community celebration at Frances Morrison Central Library will follow from 4 – 7 pm. We invite everyone to attend to enjoy entertainment and participate in commemorative projects. Watch our socials and website for more information!

Learn more about the project timeline.

We have reduced construction costs by working closely with our architect, general contractor, engineering and design-assist trades teams. Saskatoon Public Library (SPL) is steadfast in our commitment to building the new central library within our available funding sources without requesting additional borrowing. We are under tremendous budget pressures, but we are confident in our ability to deliver the project within or close to the current budget. Our dedication to responsible financial management ensures that every dollar is used to its fullest potential for the benefit of our community. We will continue to provide updates on project financials as time goes on.

Learn more about the budget and cost controls.

We made significant changes to the building to reduce construction costs. The library is smaller, though this has been achieved primarily by reducing non-public spaces. The library’s exterior, inspired by the First Nations tipi, was simplified, but the design integrity remains. The interior exposed mass timber structure, which references traditional Métis log home design, was modified but remains the building’s primary structural support. The universally accessible design features are unchanged. SPL expects to be the first library in Canada to receive the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification.

Learn more about the changes made to the library design.

Your financial support is crucial to the realization of the new central library. We aim to raise $15,000,000 through community giving. Donations of any size – a testament to your belief in the power of lifelong learning and community – are graciously accepted online and at any library location. Naming opportunities are available for many gifts.

Explore how your gift will support lifelong learning in Saskatoon.

We have been diligently saving for a new central library as a community for over 15 years. Between 2009 and 2026, the library levy increases incrementally. However, we’ve ensured that these increases are manageable for our community, even during challenging economic times. The average homeowner with an assessed property value of $371,000 will see less than $1.60 increases in 2025 and 2026, respectively. This means that by the time the library opens its doors, there will be no tax increases to fund the capital project or to pay back the loan.

Learn more about how this project is funded.
https://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/n...tion-to-start/

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:
REDESIGN

SPL is committed to building the new central library and working with the construction industry to reduce costs through design revisions. We made scope changes to the functional plan to reduce construction costs.

CHANGES

The size of the facility was reduced by approximately 2,700 SM.
LEED® certification was removed as a project requirement, though the building will maintain a high level of sustainability.
The support services employee workspaces were removed.
The single automated materials handling unit was split into two parts: sorting for the central library, which will remain on-site, and system-wide/provincial sorting at an alternate location.
The basement was removed.
The adult collection staircase connecting the third and fourth levels was removed.
The raised-access floor was removed.
The natural ventilation feature was removed.
The gathering circle in the outdoor plaza will be designed to be added in the future.

MODIFICATIONS

The building’s exterior character (sloped and glazed curtain wall) is simplified but maintains the design integrity.
The mass timber structure has been removed from the employee areas and replaced with a concrete structure. However, it remains visible in the public areas.
The building’s footprint has been modified, but the tipi-inspired design remains.
Landscaping was simplified.
The wood acoustic ceiling panels strategy was simplified.
Savings were found in network infrastructure, audio-visual, door hardware and security cameras.
Windows were changed from triple to double pane and the low-iron glass was removed.
The west (backside) of the façade is metal-clad instead of limestone.
Reallocation of spaces within the floor plates resulted in cost savings (relocation of café, new & popular items area, theatre, materials handling, etc.)

UNCHANGED

Design changes did not impact the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification.
All public spaces, program rooms, collections, services and café remain as planned.
https://saskatooncentrallibrary.ca/design/redesign/

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:48 PM
Unregistered User

At this point I'm just relieved they're not putting it into a quonset

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:09 PM

This honestly sounds much more encouraging than I was expecting. Of course this is all written to soothe our fears - and it's absent of new renderings at this point, so I'll reserve final judgment - but I was expecting a more dramatic chop to the building program and design principles.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:23 PM

I think this is a very important cornerstone of downtown and the community as a whole. The preservation of our history rooms is what they're cutting, and moving from native limestone to tin siding really sucks. The Remais, giving 50 million to the polytechnic instead of this must have something to do with Saskatoon social circles, fingering each other or giving one to the other. It's a crying shame.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:45 PM
Unregistered User

Where do you see cutting the local history room?

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 5:20 PM

If true it would contradict this statement: "All public spaces, program rooms, collections, services and café remain as planned."

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
... and moving from native limestone to tin siding really sucks.
The portion of the building that has metal cladding replacing limestone is the side that's facing the alley. If you're needing to cut costs, that seems like a pretty good choice.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 9:16 PM
Great White Norf

Just curious, is there an updated rendering of this project?

I can understand not wanting to build underground parking as it costs $25-30k plus per space, maybe 40k? in 2024 so 100 spaces could be $3-4 million plus added on to the project.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 9:40 PM
Unregistered User

I don't believe that updated renderings have been released, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:05 PM

Relieved, like others, to read it is back on track. However, that does sound like pretty significant changes. I have no issue with the backside being clad in metal or some modifications to landscaping, but some of the interior aesthetic changes and loss of connecting staircase seems a shame.

It must have been significantly over budget when quotes came in.....too bad and kind of sad.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Where do you see cutting the local history room?
Oh, I did word that wrong. I meant the archival space in the back. In the original plan they had a significant space it seemed for current and future historical preservation, a huge vault area, if you will. No way are they cutting the public local history room. My bad. 10,000 feet less has to come from somewhere, but they are also cutting out the basement and workspaces for employees. Another hint is the footprint is smaller, so the space the public doesn't see is smaller, if what they see in the original is about the same. Clear as a summer day now, haha.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:15 PM

What is the latest budget for this project?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan