HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Sounds like you’re describing the living conditions on some of the reserves around here. Not much different at all. There are Canadians who don’t have running water.
I find it funny that you choose to compare life in Canada with only the lives of poor people in rural China. How would Canada compare with Korea or Japan? The technologies and quality of life in those countries is far beyond ours. The reality is Canada is falling behind and we can see this just by looking at our healthcare system. People are having life transforming surgeries in Thailand (See Humboldt broncos player who is no longer paralyzed) People from Canada are going to India, Thailand, and Mexico for surgeries. People in Asia are spearheading research and development, we’re over here building new offices for bureaucrats. Has it ever taken Korea or Japan, over ten years to build a wing of a hospital?
I grew up in a town/reserve hydro/fishing community. The first house I lived in had:
- only a wood stove for heat
- 6mil poly covered single pane windows
- just enough power for an oven, a couple lamps, and a small tv
- no plumbing, but we were lucky, the community well was at the end of the mud driveway
- outhouse for most of the year
- the coldest months, my tiny sleeping quarters doubled as the "slop pail" room (5 gal pal with a toilet seat). Don't worry, didn't stink too bad with the bleach base.

5 year old me didn't know any better. Simple and good life out there in basically the wilderness in what amounted to a basic cabin. Not sure how long I could handle that now though, lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan