HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Brings to mind the "tri-state" and "tri-county" areas oft-mentioned in U.S. films and shows. Quad-muni is a step up, though perhaps less verbally appealing.

And I wonder if Samuel Ryckman was the same surveyor whose name was coined for 6 & 53 (now Upper James and Rymal) in south Hamilton.
There are houses on all four corners of this place. I wonder if the neighbours talk to each other about what their property tax rates are and what services they get. Milton and Halton Hills are in Halton Region. Erin and Guelph/Eramosa are Wellington County. For instance, does the Halton Region side get garbage pickup like residents in the populated cenrtres would, while the others on the Wellington side have to drive theirs to a dump or hire a private service because their municipalities are more rural in general?

When I hear tri state area, etc. it's funny to me because the states are so different from each other. It's even very noticeable for tri county. Some counties sell booze while others, like Sevier County, home of Jack Daniels, are completely dry. When I was in FLA, I wanted booze at like 8pm, but Coral Springs didn't allow sales at night or something so the gas station guy told me to drive a few minutes south into whatever town that was to get some. They are both in Broward County. So even town by town differs quite a bit. Just look at their police. There are 31 incorporated communties in Broward. Almost all of them, if not all, have their own police force with their cars driving around.

London might not be so obvious because it's all jammed together, but there are 32 boroughs that make up Greater London. There used to be 86. All with different characteristics in some respect. For instance, different styles of street signs and bike lanes being on one side of the road and then the other side when entering the next borough.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada