HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 5:14 PM

Question Manitoba Provincial Election | 2016

Manitoba's next provincial election is set for April 19, 2016.

Why was it changed from October 16.2015? Overlap with the Federal Election.

With that said, Who will you vote for, or not, and why?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 6:08 PM

PC. Similiar to what happened in Alberta with their selction of the NDP. Just fed up and tired at this point.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 6:44 PM

I generally vote PC. Hopefully Cyro is right. It's time for a change.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 7:34 PM

Latest poll has the liberals, who's presence at the MB provincial level is almost non-existent, ahead of the NDP. So this far out it sure looks like people have grown tired of selinger.

Jan 7
PC 44
Liberals 27
NDP 23

Liberals received 7% of the popular vote in 2011.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:39 PM

Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals,
That's pretty much my thoughts on the current election as well.

I'm a bit torn. The province has been doing relatively well overall (not stellar, but not failing either), but the NDP's eating itself from the inside has seriously soured me on them.

And the Liberals still look pretty invisible.

But, I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
(don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me
Quote:
Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_eh View Post
I cannot bring myself to vote for anything that Pallister is involved in.
Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Pallisters involvement as the PC's leader here seems to be a common denominator in many of the responses. Can't really disagree. It may push many over to the Liberal camp.
I know that everyone in my family will be voting PC.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Backed the PCs in 2011 because it was clear to me then that Selinger had to go. Unfortunately, Pallister is equally unsavory. That leaves me in the difficult position of backing the Liberals, in spite of their stupid rent freeze plan, which has already had a catastrophic effect on building owners investing in building improvements. At least they're strong finally, and could ride in on Trudeau's red wave.

And I will say, some of the other ideas they're floating, like mincome, are really good.
Theoretically this should be an easy election for the PC's to win except that Pallister is the leader, a guy with a likability factor of 0 and comes across a bit as the tin man.

I think the liberals will surprise people in spite of their leader.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

I might be too cynical, but I could not care less how likeable Pallister is. I want a capable person at the helm. He's rich? GOOD. Then he knows how to do things, in all likelihood. He understands what needs to get done and how to do it.

You don't need to identify with everyone, you need to be smart and a smart politician knows they have to serve the electorate. As ridiculous as it is, MB wouldn't vote in a Premier who claimed to hate hockey but prefers soccer. Has nothing to do with their ability to govern, however.

In Singapore, Presidential candidates need to have been CEOs or leaders of corporations with no less than $100M of paid-up capital (and similar qualifications). Aside from the fact that this creates an establishment, it shows one thing: You have to be proven as among the most capable people in the country.

Aside from that, I find the media's complete tar-and-feathering of Bokhari to be so unbelievably hypocritical. Clearly, they're hoping to avoid a vote split with the NDP.

To tear apart another candidate to support the NDP (and their record) is completely indefensible.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:48 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I might be too cynical, but I could not care less how likeable Pallister is. I want a capable person at the helm. He's rich? GOOD. Then he knows how to do things, in all likelihood. He understands what needs to get done and how to do it.

That would be fine if he were running a business, as I am. Government isn't a business.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Coincidentally, that was also the main reason given for supporting Sam Katz.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That would be fine if he were running a business, as I am. Government isn't a business.
It's not entirely a business.

Nor would I want someone who isn't atleast capable of running a business in charge of the province.

Business and economics are a major part of politics, and I don't trust a leader that doesn't understand how the sausage gets made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
I, for one, likes his suit.
It's a really nice suit AND tie. Just too busy a shirt to go with the aforementioned two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Coincidentally, that was also the main reason given for supporting Sam Katz.
Fair point. I regret Katz somewhat, but I'm not sure his competitors were too inspiring either.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 7:45 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I agree, that rent-freeze thing is bad policy.

That being said, no to the NDP for me, and I really don't want to vote PC (don't like Pallister, and so far they are just running on the "we are not NDP" platform) - so likely Liberal for me - without any expectations of my vote meaning anything.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 8:16 PM

1. Poll numbers don't necessarily reflect the outcome on a riding by riding basis. For example, that poll has the Liberals at 27% but in some ridings the Liberals have yet to name a candidate. It also fails to account for a popular candidate from one party.

2. It is too early for me to make a call. The Liberals seem to be heading for a trainwreck moment where they kill their own campaign. The mincome, while on the surface sounds good could be it. If you make the same if you work 30 hours or collect welfare this could backfire. I would much rather see a system that every hour of paid employment you work means your better off than only welfare, basically through a top up to a set level. This would give able people some motivation to be contributing.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:05 PM

^ My vote won't change either, but with that said, it is on peoples minds and may sway many away from them. What happens when the name "Selinger" appears in a discussion? It effects people in a curious way..

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:15 PM

Liberal leader announced she wants to direct infrastructure money towards the arts.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:09 PM
Heart of the Continent

So she just lost my vote.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So she just lost my vote.
Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why? Cultural facilities are infrastructure too.
I suppose it depends what we're talking about. I was being dramatic. I'd have to know more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan