HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 6:15 PM

How fast can we build a skyscraper?

In The Jetsons (set in 2062), George and Mr. Spacely are taking a half-minute out to watch a skyscraper go up (the whole thing!). Mr. Spacely says something like "I remember when it took a whole hour to put up a skyscraper."
What is the fastest we can put up a skyscraper now (I would imagine that it would be the Chinese who could do this, although I might be wrong)?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 6:28 PM
them bones

I think if we brought the dinosaurs back like in Jurassic Park, we could totally do anything. The Flintstones owned those f*ckers and showed us how.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 6:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The Chinese are already doing this.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 7:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
In The Jetsons (set in 2062), George and Mr. Spacely are taking a half-minute out to watch a skyscraper go up (the whole thing!). Mr. Spacely says something like "I remember when it took a whole hour to put up a skyscraper."
What is the fastest we can put up a skyscraper now (I would imagine that it would be the Chinese who could do this, although I might be wrong)?
Video Link

Could probably be faster, but at that point....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 4:50 AM

Not as fast as you can post stupid thread topics.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 8:49 AM

^^^ I think it honestly was just an honest question at a time that i think many of us question the viability of speed and safety. I don't think it warrented a rather hostile "Stupid" response. If Jmanc, the administrator that posted above, is ok with it and didn't close the thread, i don't think its a problem. Could have just answered the question or stayed quiet like our parents taught us. "nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

But anyways. I think it all depends on the regulations and other safety concerns in place. The Empire state building was built in a year and at the time was the tallest in the world. Now, however, in the states atleast, to build a tower even half that size will take 2 years even with our modern tech, tower cranes and etc.

Now China is oddly cranking out SOME towers quickly. But their buildings sometimes aren't built to certain standards and other problems occur. But building a thousand footer in a year shouldn't be hard.

Now building a tower of significant height in a week with current technology isn't even imaginable as of right now and if one were to be built, i don't think many people would feel safe being in it. Espeacially in earthquake prone areas like Los Angeles, San Fran and Tokyo.... or in hurricane/typhoon prone areas like Florida and the gulf coast and other cities in south east asia.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2016, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
^^^ I think it honestly was just an honest question at a time that i think many of us question the viability of speed and safety. I don't think it warrented a rather hostile "Stupid" response. If Jmanc, the administrator that posted above, is ok with it and didn't close the thread, i don't think its a problem. Could have just answered the question or stayed quiet like our parents taught us. "nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

But anyways. I think it all depends on the regulations and other safety concerns in place. The Empire state building was built in a year and at the time was the tallest in the world. Now, however, in the states atleast, to build a tower even half that size will take 2 years even with our modern tech, tower cranes and etc.

Now China is oddly cranking out SOME towers quickly. But their buildings sometimes aren't built to certain standards and other problems occur. But building a thousand footer in a year shouldn't be hard.

Now building a tower of significant height in a week with current technology isn't even imaginable as of right now and if one were to be built, i don't think many people would feel safe being in it. Espeacially in earthquake prone areas like Los Angeles, San Fran and Tokyo.... or in hurricane/typhoon prone areas like Florida and the gulf coast and other cities in south east asia.
He has 18 total posts and most of them are just him spamming the forum with one sentence question posts. If you want to indulge him then fine, but don't expect all of us to.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 12:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pre-fab is the secret to Chinese quickness. Assemble all the parts or as much of the tower beforehand, then stack them on top of each other. They even go as far to pre-fab the furniture. Its one way to accommodate the thousands that are moving into the cities per day. Shanghai alone had something like 10,000 per day 4 years ago. IDK if it slowed down, but they are are adding the urban equivalent of the U.S. population all over again in the next decade or so.

Granted with all of this hyper building, its not without its issues.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:54 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Pre-fab is the secret to Chinese quickness. Assemble all the parts or as much of the tower beforehand, then stack them on top of each other. They even go as far to pre-fab the furniture. Its one way to accommodate the thousands that are moving into the cities per day. Shanghai alone had something like 10,000 per day 4 years ago. IDK if it slowed down, but they are are adding the urban equivalent of the U.S. population all over again in the next decade or so.

Granted with all of this hyper building, its not without its issues.
that process is not working out so well in the usa with the atlantic yards example is it?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 9:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
that process is not working out so well in the usa with the atlantic yards example is it?
That's because American developers are slow, and incompetent. Where it takes America on average 5 years to complete a road project, in China, whole cities are built. 1 Chinese worker is = most likely 5 or 6 Americans in terms of output. Those people are just superior at building quick and the soft-cost cycle is much quicker. Here we drone on about height, and "density concerns" from NIMBYS.

Well, on a positive note, good thing Chinese developers are pouring billions into our cities. They get skyscrapers finished quickly. If we start hiring some of them to solve our housing crisis in NYC, we'd see much more being built. We can learn a thing or two from China.

Pre-fab can work wonderfully. Its a good way to build quick, and fast, but things like lengthy permit and approval processes in the U.S. hamper speed along with developers changing plans at the last minute. Strict regulations also make it though to build quick.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
He has 18 total posts and most of them are just him spamming the forum with one sentence question posts. If you want to indulge him then fine, but don't expect all of us to.
But you did.....By responding to him in the first place lol and why are you keeping track of his posts lol

But I understand what you're saying. random posts can be annoying. I don't know his other posts since I cant care less to bother looking up his activity, but this question seemed legit.

If you didn't like it. why even bother responding is all I'm saying.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycruz View Post
But you did.....By responding to him in the first place lol and why are you keeping track of his posts lol

But I understand what you're saying. random posts can be annoying. I don't know his other posts since I cant care less to bother looking up his activity, but this question seemed legit.

If you didn't like it. why even bother responding is all I'm saying.
I come to the main page and scroll down to see whats recently been commented on, and its all new posts by him. You can see how many total posts someone has on the top right of their posts. It does not exactly take any detective work.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
I come to the main page and scroll down to see whats recently been commented on, and its all new posts by him. You can see how many total posts someone has on the top right of their posts. It does not exactly take any detective work.
LOL but long story short, Its probably an over enthusiastic kid, I can tell by some of his posts, no need to be snarky at him, just kindly respond or do the adult thing and ignore it, like most people have with this one and his/hers others, while other grown adults like myself just answer the poor kids question. The world would be a better place if we all didn't feel the need to treat each other rudely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That's because American developers are slow, and incompetent. Where it takes America on average 5 years to complete a road project, in China, whole cities are built. 1 Chinese worker is = most likely 5 or 6 Americans in terms of output. Those people are just superior at building quick and the soft-cost cycle is much quicker. Here we drone on about height, and "density concerns" from NIMBYS.

Well, on a positive note, good thing Chinese developers are pouring billions into our cities. They get skyscrapers finished quickly. If we start hiring some of them to solve our housing crisis in NYC, we'd see much more being built. We can learn a thing or two from China.

Pre-fab can work wonderfully. Its a good way to build quick, and fast, but things like lengthy permit and approval processes in the U.S. hamper speed along with developers changing plans at the last minute. Strict regulations also make it though to build quick.
I don't necessarily think its the American workers fault. We have many laws and regulations thing takes years and costs way more to get done in this country now. Where as China, the rules and regulations aren't there. Like I mentioned above, the Empire State Building and Chrysler were both donned a years time, quick by todays standards since most towers now at the 1,000 footer level take a minimum 2 years to get done even with the better technology we have.

and not to mention the rampant Nimbyism we have in cities like Los Angeles and San Fran where citizens feel the need to block even the smallest building proposals.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 10:28 AM

A week per floor.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 1:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

between pretty fast and dead stop, and all speeds in between.

next question?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 4:05 PM

Safety has to come first but if there was an economic value for building it quickly i'm sure some corner cutter would do it!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture