HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 6:26 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

National Post abandons Manitoba & Saskatchewan

National Post to cut presence in province

Updated: October 30 at 08:03 AM CDT | Winnipeg Free Press

ONE newspaper resumed home delivery today but another has decided to virtually leave the Winnipeg market altogether.

The ratification of a new contract between the Free Press and its more than 1,000 employees Tuesday night enabled the paper to put out its first edition in two-and-a-half weeks today. The National Post, however, has not only eliminated home delivery in Manitoba and Saskatchewan immediately but its print version won't be available anywhere in the two provinces during the week.

David Asper, chairman of the Toronto-based Post, said it has decided to opt out of its contract with the Free Press to print about 5,000 copies of the paper six days a week.

The Post will be sold at various retailers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan on Saturdays, however. Current home delivery customers will be offered a "very attractive rate" to subscribe to the online edition, he said.

Asper said it was a "difficult" decision to cut back the Post's distribution but its loss will be the Free Press's gain.

Winnipeg's largest daily has agreed to feature more than two pages of branded content from the Post's business section, The Financial Post, every day in the Free Press business section.

Bob Cox, publisher of the Free Press, said the agreement improves the paper's access to National Post stories and columns, only some of which were previously available through the newswire of its parent company, Canwest Global Communications.

"The deal makes National Post columnists like Don Martin and John Ivison available for us to use on the same day they're in the Post," he said.

"I'm happy about the Financial Post and getting more access to National Post material. I think it will strengthen the paper. We'll end up with some really solid content in the Free Press that wasn't there before."

Asper said the Post made similar cutbacks in Atlantic Canada a couple of years ago and wouldn't rule out further moves in the future as the paper retrenches in Canada's biggest markets. It's all part of a continuous review of operations that has the paper on a "path towards profitability," he said.

"It's part of a process of going back and building (the Post) from a profitable base outward, as opposed to doing too much too quickly," he said.

"The Post is an incredibly important voice in the Canadian media landscape. It's often a unique voice. It also has the possibility of being an outstanding business. We're going to go to the wall to try to prove that thesis."

Canwest acquired the Post from Hollinger International in 2003.

geoff.kirbyson@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 6:40 PM
I am a typical

They cut Northwestern Ontario a few years ago. No one missed it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 8:14 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

my boss is raging - it's his daily read

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 11:24 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
my boss is raging - it's his daily read
And we all know how many bosses are left in Manitoba...

No more newspaper on my doorstep.

Quote:
The Post will be sold at various retailers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan on Saturdays, however.
That's nice, but so is the Sunday New York Times and the weekend Guardian--for $15.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:03 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
That's nice, but so is the Sunday New York Times and the weekend Guardian--for $15.
$15? Last I checked, it's 9 something here for New York Times. $5 on Weekdays. $2 for the paper from Minneapolis or Duluth.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:56 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

uk papers in mcnallys are usually missing their colour supplements... whenever i go home, my parents stock up on the news magazine elements of the sunday times for me.....

love the concept that a guardian reader can bemoan the loss of the national post - two very different animals

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 9:51 PM

People still read newspapers?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:32 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Eh, I never cared for the paper to begin with.

I cared more about the Free Press and the Sun though. >_>

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:51 PM
surely you agree with me

the globe and mail is far superior to that right wing rag that uses editorial as factual reporting....it is a matter of time before the whole thing is dead....it has been walking a slow march to oblivion for years.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 11:31 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the globe and mail is far superior to that right wing rag that uses editorial as factual reporting....it is a matter of time before the whole thing is dead....it has been walking a slow march to oblivion for years.
Yes, this country is much better off with only one national paper of record.

But what will Manitoba's Trotskyite poli-sci profs make their students read to point out neo-Con/Zionist propaganda infiltrating Canada's media?

Last edited by rgalston; Oct 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 11:52 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post

But what will Manitoba's Trotskyite poli-sci profs going to make their students read to point out neo-Con/Zionist propaganda infiltrating Canada's media?
the sun...

i'm ok having only one national newspaper...as long at it holds the same political views as i do....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 1:14 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the sun...

i'm ok having only one national newspaper...as long at it holds the same political views as i do....
If there is anything good about the Globe and Mail it's only because the National Post in the Conrad Black days showed Canada what a newspaper could be, and the Globe was forced to try to improve itself, which it did, albeit in its usual lame fashion.

But the Post of today is not the Post of old, that's for sure. Still beats the Globe though.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 1:33 AM

I too am a fan of the National Post. It's actually my homepage. I'm very pleased with the addition of some of the Financial Post to the City & Business section of the Free Press.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:08 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

It's too bad that all we have left now for a 'national' paper is the Toronto Digest.

If it didn't happen in the 416, the Globe and Fail doesn't report it.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 12:50 AM

Another sign of the imminent death of the National Post and the possible life support measures needed for CanWest.

They tried to sell the post over the summer, guess they didn't get any bids. Now they are just trying to stop the cash hemorrhage, but it is a zero sum game, as they cut subscribers, and a national base, their ads rates will fall, and revenue will fall, and another market will need to be dropped.

In the end, I could see CanWest folding the national post, while retaining the Financial Post, like it was before NP launch 10 years ago. It would also be good if they abandoned the CanWest News Service experiment.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 7:51 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
Another sign of the imminent death of the National Post and the possible life support measures needed for CanWest.

They tried to sell the post over the summer, guess they didn't get any bids. Now they are just trying to stop the cash hemorrhage, but it is a zero sum game, as they cut subscribers, and a national base, their ads rates will fall, and revenue will fall, and another market will need to be dropped.

In the end, I could see CanWest folding the national post, while retaining the Financial Post, like it was before NP launch 10 years ago. It would also be good if they abandoned the CanWest News Service experiment.
One thing you are not considering. The National post is pepered with artciles from various other Canwest Media papers, such as the Ottawa Citizen and and Calgary Herald. These articles are already paid for and in print. Uisng select articles from across the nation and making them into a National paper, which was the original format the Nationa Post was extremely efficient to produce. The problem remained that the Globe has a solid lock on the southern Ontario market and Canwest realiened there coverage over the years with more of the Ontario slant but kept articles for the other major cities such as Calgary.. and its energy sector... or Ottawa and its political access.

While all media companies are facing a rough environment with a significnat declining advertisement revenue, Canwest is looking to cut costs to cover the cost of its purchase of Alantis Aliance.

CWG is currently selling 2X book ... and the Aspers are looking to take it private.

Last edited by newflyer; Nov 1, 2008 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2008, 6:27 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I'm one of many people who buys The Sun, for the sheer reason that it's easier to read on the bus.

As for almost every other paper, you don't really need to have an actual copy of it. I have my iGoogle page setup to bring in the RSS feeds from the Freep, G&M, NP, etc. Makes it so easy, just click on a headline and the article will open up in a new window.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 2:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

rebrand it to be the "Regional Post" or the "Not-quite-National Post"
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 7:25 PM
Capitalist

This may be considered a sad commentary on the business interests of the Manitoba and Saskatchewan population... but the population in this region can still get it if they wish.

I am a daily reader, but I read the online edition. I am not a fan of yesterday's news. Its just too bad that a city the size of Winnipeg won't have the National Post. That makes Winnipeg the largest city without it, but this has more to do with the fact that Winnipeg is one of the few city's without a paper owned by CanWest Media Group... and thus the National Post printing costs were much higher in Winnipeg. Although I have heard from some people at the Free Press that the FP will be picking up many more National Post articles, so perhaps the loss of the National Post, will be a gain for the Free Press. That would be great for the Free Press!!

I read the Globe and Mail too, but its business coverage is nowhere near the Post.... as well the Globe is much more Toronto centric..not much of a national paper in coverage, just another Toronto paper.

Last edited by newflyer; Nov 1, 2008 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 7:17 PM

OK, I realize I'm exhuming a long dead and buried thread but I have to ask... now that Postmedia owns the Winnipeg Sun and therefore has a foothold here again with its own printing presses and everything, I wonder why they don't bring the National Post back to newsstands?

I have their app but I kind of miss the paper edition... I happily remember the $15 (or was it $20?) annual 6 day a week home delivery subscriptions that they used to offer Telus users. (I remember I used to get the next day's edition delivered to my door at like 11 pm, which was weird.) Sadly, the only time I get to read it now is when I'm travelling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan