HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Building Requests & Database Corrections > Completed Requests

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 1:11 PM

Exclamation Parliament Palace - Bucharest

Hi

I've finished a drawing of the Parliament Palace in Bucharest and I've tried uploading it but it won't let me, saying that nothing was found, yet the building is there (minus the diagram) when you search for it.

Can you please add it so that I can add a diagram?

------------------------
Official sources: Romanian Chamber of Deputies website, Wikipedia.com
Unofficial sources: Emporis website

Building Name: Palace of the Parliament
Native Name: People's Palace
Other Names: Casa Parlamentului, Casa Poporului, Republic House, Casa Republicii
Address: Nr. 1 Calea 13 Septembrie
City: Bucharest
Postal Code:
State/Province: Bucharest
Official Building Website URL: http://www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=10&idl=2
Skyscrapers.com (Emporis.info) URL: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=111624
Architect: Anca Petrescu
Interesting Facts/Records (in own words):
It measures 270 m by 240 m, 86 m high, and 92 m under ground.
It has 1,100 rooms and is 12 stories tall, with four additional underground levels currently available and in use, with another four in different stages of completion.
Estimates of the materials used include one million cubic meters of marble from Transylvania, most from Ruşchiţa;
3,500 metric tonnes of crystal - 480 chandeliers,
1,409 ceiling lights and mirrors were manufactured;
700,000 tonnes of steel and bronze for monumental doors and windows, chandeliers and capitals;
900,000 cubic meters of wood (over 95% domestic) for parquet and wainscotting, including walnut, oak, sweet cherry, elm, sycamore maple;
200,000 square meters of woolen carpets of various dimensions (machines had to be moved inside the building to weave some of the larger carpets);
Velvet and brocade curtains adorned with embroideries and passementeries in silver and gold.

The structure combines elements and motifs from multiple recognized architectural styles, making its classification impossible for architectural critics. The building is constructed entirely of materials of Romanian origin; it is reported that during the latter years of construction, this building and the Centru Civic created such a massive demand for Romanian marble that tombstones throughout the country had to be made from other materials. Effectively, the building, due to its immense size, cuts the city into two—an urban planner's nightmare. Constructing the Palace and the Centru Civic required demolishing about one-fifth of the historic districts of Bucharest. The neighborhoods and churches that were razed to make way for the behemoth are remembered to this day.

Heights--
- antenna: N/A
- spire: N/A
- roof: 86 m
- top floor:
- other heights: basement extends 92m underground!

Current Building Status (Built, Proposed, Canceled, Destroyed, etc...): Built

Construction Dates--
- started: July 1984
- finished: 1988
- destroyed: N/A

Above ground floors: 12
Below ground floors: 8
Floor-to-floor height:
Gross Floor area: 330,000 sq.m.
Elevator count:
Unit count:

Structure Type(s): Reinforced Concrete with Marble cladding.
Building Use(s): Mainly Government, some mixed use.
Building Style(s): Mix of many, impossible to classify.
Building Materials: Reinforced Concrete, Marble, Steel, Crystal, Wood
------------------------

Last edited by Inimbrium; May 23, 2006 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 8:46 PM
The Lying Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inimbrium
Hi

I've finished a drawing of the Parliament Palace in Bucharest and I've tried uploading it but it won't let me, saying that nothing was found, yet the building is there (minus the diagram) when you search for it.

Can you please add it so that I can add a diagram?

------------------------
Official sources: Romanian Chamber of Deputies website, Wikipedia.com
Unofficial sources: Emporis website

Building Name: Palace of the Parliament
Native Name: People's Palace
Other Names: Casa Parlamentului, Casa Poporului, Republic House, Casa Republicii
Address: Nr. 1 Calea 13 Septembrie
City: Bucharest
Postal Code:
State/Province: Bucharest
Official Building Website URL: http://www.cdep.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=10&idl=2
Skyscrapers.com (Emporis.info) URL: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=111624
Architect: Anca Petrescu
Interesting Facts/Records (in own words):
It measures 270 m by 240 m, 86 m high, and 92 m under ground.
It has 1,100 rooms and is 12 stories tall, with four additional underground levels currently available and in use, with another four in different stages of completion.
Estimates of the materials used include one million cubic meters of marble from Transylvania, most from Ruşchiţa;
3,500 metric tonnes of crystal - 480 chandeliers,
1,409 ceiling lights and mirrors were manufactured;
700,000 tonnes of steel and bronze for monumental doors and windows, chandeliers and capitals;
900,000 cubic meters of wood (over 95% domestic) for parquet and wainscotting, including walnut, oak, sweet cherry, elm, sycamore maple;
200,000 square meters of woolen carpets of various dimensions (machines had to be moved inside the building to weave some of the larger carpets);
Velvet and brocade curtains adorned with embroideries and passementeries in silver and gold.

The structure combines elements and motifs from multiple recognized architectural styles, making its classification impossible for architectural critics. The building is constructed entirely of materials of Romanian origin; it is reported that during the latter years of construction, this building and the Centru Civic created such a massive demand for Romanian marble that tombstones throughout the country had to be made from other materials. Effectively, the building, due to its immense size, cuts the city into two—an urban planner's nightmare. Constructing the Palace and the Centru Civic required demolishing about one-fifth of the historic districts of Bucharest. The neighborhoods and churches that were razed to make way for the behemoth are remembered to this day.

Heights--
- antenna: N/A
- spire: N/A
- roof: 86 m
- top floor:
- other heights: basement extends 92m underground!

Current Building Status (Built, Proposed, Canceled, Destroyed, etc...): Built

Construction Dates--
- started: July 1984
- finished: 1988
- destroyed: N/A

Above ground floors: 12
Below ground floors: 8
Floor-to-floor height:
Gross Floor area: 330,000 sq.m.
Elevator count:
Unit count:

Structure Type(s): Reinforced Concrete with Marble cladding.
Building Use(s): Mainly Government, some mixed use.
Building Style(s): Mix of many, impossible to classify.
Building Materials: Reinforced Concrete, Marble, Steel, Crystal, Wood
------------------------

are sure you tried to add it, on this page???:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=9834

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B
are sure you tried to add it, on this page???:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=9834
lol ... ummm... no.

Ok, how did you get to that page?? Oh I see. Through the cities > countries... etc.

Thanks, diagram submitted. =-D

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 2:14 AM
Senior Slacker

I have approved the diagram, but have not found a source that supports the 86m height. Any that I found suggest 84m (which I changed it to) which is about where your roofline is. However, you show small projections/spire elements that go to the 86m mark. I entered 86m as an unofficial spire height and 84 as the official roof height. That just allows the diagram to show properly in sorted searches.

When you say that the underground portion of the building extend over 90m below the surface, I presume you mean piles on which the building rests. Normally excavations that deep are difficult to achieve and usually are things like mine shafts etc.

Also -- can someone clarify the measurement used to give it the title of the World's second largest building? When I read some descriptions, they appear to be talking about surface (exterior wall) area, but in others I get the feeling that they are referring to the total (gross) floor area. GFA would be how we might normally rank a building, but we should make the distinction if it is not.

Last edited by Kelvin; May 24, 2006 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 3:12 AM

The official gornmental webpage, http://diasan.vsat.ro/pls/dic/site.page?id=10&idl=2 ,does not mention the height, however Wikipedia.com, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_...ian_Parliament ,does.
"Palace of the Parliament
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Palace of Romanian Parliament)"

The small projections are part of a small concrete wall that surrounds the whole roof area.

The building extends 92m underground in the form of 8 underground levels, 4 of which are complete, and the other 4 are in different stages of completion. These are actual levels and they have a very high ceiling. One was originally intended to be an underground stadium, and it has now been converted into an underground car park. This building is very extensive underground.
If you need more proof that you can't find on the websites provided, let me know in here and I'll look to see where I got the info from and post it here for you.

It says on the Chamber of Deputies website, the building ranks second in the world at floor area, 330,000 sq.m., after the Pentagon, and thirld in the world by volume, with a volume of 2,550,000 cubic meters, after the shuttle hangar (I think) and some mexican ancient pyramid. Again if you want proof, I'll oblige.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Slacker

I've edited the data sheet - let me know if there is anything else.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 12:05 PM

Thanks that's perfect.

I'll let you know when they finish the other 4 underground floors.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 2:11 PM

I was wondering...

Can I draw some more diagrams of buildings Bucharest or Romania? Would it be ok to put them up once I've drawn them?

I can think of a few towers, a bridge or two, chruches, castles (inc Dracula's Castle), dams etc. I quite enjoy drawing them, but I don't want to do it unless they get put up, otherwise it's a waste of time.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 8:59 PM
Senior Slacker

Do as many as you care to and we will incorporate all that meet the drawing submission guidelines.

Very few drawings actually get rejected and it is only done to make sure that a given diagram is the correct height and is actually representative of the building/structure in question.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Building Requests & Database Corrections > Completed Requests